Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Coaaab posted:

So I guess with Robot Wars canceled, Battlebots is the only combat R/C car robotics show left in the Western hemisphere.

Also liking the tournament format changes:

Hmm, so they aren't even pretending this time. The championship tournament is based entirely on what the producers want for TV?

So it doesn't matter if you got a poo poo lady bug thing, if you're a cute girl, you get to compete for the golden nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Too bad I don't have cable... Wish they made it possible to live stream from their website without having a cable subscription... I'd much prefer supporting battlebots/discovery channel directly, than having to do it through :filez:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I actually just remembered that Sprint got hooked up with Hulu... Not sure if Hulu gets Discovery shows the same day or how that works, but I am at least signing up for that to see if they will get the new episode tonight or not...

Although, for some reason they wouldn't let me sign up through my phone using WIFI and Sprint sucks dick, so who knows if I'll be able to complete the signup from home...

Edit - Looks like they just have old poo poo though, so it'll probably have to be :files:

Don't feel like paying cash just for Battlebots... Would watch it for free with ads if they had a way to do it.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

RBA Starblade posted:

Battlebots is on Hulu?

I dunno, maybe? Discovery Channel is on Hulu... but I literally just signed up for Hulu today, so really no idea if they will get Hulu.

That being said, I did just watch the episode.

Minotaur taking that many hits from Tombstone and still going strong is pretty amazing. Too bad they got stuck on the hosed up floor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GuavaMoment posted:

During the fight Tombstone had its s7 tool steel bar, but for all the promos they showed Tombstone with an aluminum bar having S7 teeth. A napkin estimate of the cost of the aluminum alone on that bar was $2000. God drat.

Tombstone has multiple metal bars available for different opponents. And yea 250 pound bot battles is probably not a cheap hobby to get into...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You got a bunch of professional combat robot drivers in one place and they couldn't find 1 idiot to fly a drone?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Any bot that can't self right itself is a bad bot. Even worse if your bot's design basically guarantees you'll end up flipping around at some point... and you can't flip yourself.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Why do they always hype Witch Doctor like it's good? I seem to recall it repeatedly failing spectacularly in past years.

They hype the female teams :eng101:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

Why is this show so entertaining.

Also what's with the renewed power balance. From what I remember of Robot Wars as a kid wedges and crushers just destroyed the opposition and now suddenly spinners of all kinds are the bees knees?

Robot Wars has always been the more gentler of the 2 shows. And half the time you can win on Robot Wars just by shoving your opponent into the house robots / into the pit.

And the current Battlebots rules require some form of active weapon and half the judges points seem to be based on damage.

As for crushers, they might be effective when Battlebots had the lower weight classes, but with the heavy bots, they have more weight to spend on proper armor (for the most part).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Something makes me really happy seeing the extreme showmanship teams bot fall apart after 2 hits. Like maybe you should have been working on your bot instead of finding matching outfits to wear?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Laughed at Ray yelling at the other team to just stop moving. Also good to see him not do the normal of going in for the total destruction like he probably would with another team.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The floor hazards are pretty much just for decoration at this weight class anyway. Only the flipper and the screws do anything and thats just to the bots that dont self right.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And here I was thinking it was some design flaw and that they had some sort of screw / bolt on top holding everything together...

loving chinese giving us inferior robotic parts!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Robot Wars is so much tamer than the horizontal spinners of battle bots. I am pretty sure Tombstone would just rip one of those tires right off of Huge.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Here is hoping that the catears guy goes up against tombstone or something

Tombstone is only going to go up against serious contender bots until the 16 tournament.

Probably the weird thing about the format, in a lot of ways they have created multiple tiers of robots, and they are all mostly fighting within their tier.

Like they aren't putting Tombstone up against the Four Horsemen because that would be a joke of a match.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey when the hell did this come back

Whatever you do, don't read the OP. The OP, which content is pretty literally just the answer to your question.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe she could use here automation and engineering skills to make a bot that is actually good? Like a Bronco or Tombstone? Instead of a top heavy bot with a lovely spike hammer that might be effective at denting the other bot if the bot didn't spend the match on it's side?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, really the counter for Tombstone is a bot that can take the hits over and over and keep going long enough for Tombstone to break itself. Minotaur had a good chance at that in their first fight, but Tombstone hosed up the battlebox just enough to get Minotaur stuck on the busted up floor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Even if a horizontal spinner couldn't destroy the tires, the force impacted on them, would likely be enough to make Huge fly to the side. At least with a bot powerful like Tombstone.

I don't think the little robot wars match would really cut it as a way to see how it would handle it. Robot Wars is so much more tame compared to Battlebots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Old robot wars maybe but the modern series bots are just as dangerous as American machines. Carbide and Apex were both easily on par with Tombstone or End Game. Monsoon also competed as Tauron on robot wars (not that it ever worked right) and we've seen what it can do.

Sure maybe there is some exceptions, but at the end of the day Robot Wars, even the new series is very tame compared to Battlebots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I checked out the fightcard on their main website and it seems there is a 3 bot battle that will only be on the Science Channel airing of the show, and it's got me wondering if they have been doing this every week?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wormil posted:

When you lose to Overhaul, time to hang it up.

rear end ton of commercials causing the episode to run overtime and I missed the end. I assume Bite Force annihilated End Game? Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

Wouldn't say annihilated. Actually End Game had it won, but didn't go in for the kill when Bite Force stopped moving. But Bite Force got it fixed and started running again and flipped End Game and game over.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And yea, if your bot can't beat Overhaul and their cat ears, it might be time to fix something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

sawblaze needs a better primary weapon for that top-tier plow

Its actually kind of perfect. Its basically a wedge with a weapon that makes lots of pretty sparks for the judges.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just putting gashes in the armor and turning it red from the heat it causes. If sawblaze ever actually goes through and cuts a wire or a battery, then I will accept it's a real weapon. As it is, everything Sawblaze does is put on a show for the judges while being a high quality wedge bot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Overhaul has always been half build though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kind of sad, the first time they meet in many years and Bronco and Lock-Jaw were both unable to operate in the way they intended.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Most of the arena hazards might be effective with the lower weight class bots, but they really don't do too much to these heavy weight bots. Maybe the kill saws if they got on a tire.

But the screws do kind of pull a bot outside the arena, there were a few fights in the last seasons where bots were KO due to the screws. Don't think they are supposed to jam up on a bot like they tried to do with witch doctor though...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shredderator is a fun bot, because it's actually a pretty good bot... apparently as long as it doesn't hit the walls of the box and destroys itself...

Also the Icewave fight was pretty much a coin flip. Except for a few hits, all the damage from saw bot was from saw bot being aggressive and controlling the fight. It really was a similar fight to the Bombshell fight, except without the final blow at the end.

The bot with the active and working weapon for the majority of the fight, not really having any control and getting out driven by the damaged bot.

I mean how many points should you get for aggression and damage with your primary weapon, if it's all from the opponent actively ramming into your bot / weapon?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's pretty cool to see the judges actually get really into the fights instead of looking like they are just there for a paycheck.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well, I didn't catch if Sharkorpion had any science channel fights, but they should still have a few more more fights and the dude is a character and should have no problems getting at least another televised fight.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rondette posted:

And Yeah, Faruq is great, does he write those ...things..himself?

I'm sure they have writers writing all the intros, but his delivery on them is pretty flawless and fun. They might get some help on them from the teams too of course.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYV9Iu0CqA

Early "botopsy" report from Minotaur and other bots. "We always knew it was going to be an expensive fight."

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That is the basic Tombstone fight though. Bunch of parts flying everywhere off of one or both bots... Looked like it might have actually been a close fight though, possibly could have gone either way if the other bot could have taken a few more hits.

Also I am happy to see Chomp and Overhaul adding more losses to their loss belts...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want a Tombstone v Tombstone fight

I'm sure Ray has the parts and could do it. But it would be an expensive fight, even for him.

It would also probably be a disappointing fight since it would probably last 10 seconds.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gromit posted:

Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

I was kind of assuming that the track was still getting the expected control signals that it would be getting if it was still attached. I assume the bot sends the control signals to the treads wirelessly instead of them being wired.

Also, I am curious if they would have stopped the SOW / Endgame fight to fix the plexiglass if Endgame hadn't gotten knocked out on that hit or if they'd let the fight continue?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

Has any full body spinner not broken itself by the end of a decently long fight, or is it just basically a given

Seems the full body spinners have the great weakness of self destructing if they hit something that won't move / take much energy from it. Thus whenever they hit the edges of the box, the insides turn to mush.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

If you want to try out the physics of this at home, all you have to do is to punch a wall.

The wall never stood a chance.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If anyone is interested RioBotz (Minotaur obv) did an AMA on Reddit -> https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/98ocf5/minotaur_ama_with_marco_from_team_riobotz/

They estimated the Tombstone fight cost $3,000 to repair their bot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Too bad it's just a wedge bot that can lift it's wedge a little bit.

• Locked thread