Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm a casual fan but this season is the best yet. My wife is usually indifferent to everything on tv but she's really getting into this season and yelling during the matches, it's kind of funny actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hilarious if somewhat disappointing matches. Right before the match I said if that burger gets flipped, he's done. 2 seconds later, it's upside down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm fine with removing middle of the arena hazards. I want to see bot fighting and driving skills, not random hazards. The screws are good, the hammer is funny, the saws can go along with everything else. Although it is funny to see them get snagged on the floor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Xelkelvos posted:

Hazards are operated by the teams so it's not exactly random.

I know you're right but they seem completely random. The show makes no connection visually between hazards and teams. It's not explained how they work and apparently some hazards are only allowed later in the match. As a casual viewer, they appear random. Last night the blades were just popping up and down whether a bot was over them or not.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watching gimmick bots fight is the best, I'm really rooting for Huge. It will be a sad day when he fights a decent horizontal spinner.

I was very disappointed that Yeti lost. Also dick move Icewave, I hope you draw Tombstone next.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Propaganda Machine posted:

I could buy that it was an accident. It looked like he was trying to turn around to exit the arena and misjudged his distance from Yeti. It'd be an astonishing level of dickishness if it was intentional; he'd have to be a much bigger rear end in a top hat than he seemed.

He had won but kept the rotor at full speed, edging closer, and was grinning at the Yeti guys. I guess only he knows for sure but it looked intentional, and giggling while claiming it was an accident wasn't very convincing.

I hope so but I'm skeptical those spoked wheels can handle a lawnmower type hit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Good point about the editing. Yeah, I guess it doesn't matter what I think only what the other drivers think. If they think it was intentional then I'm sure there will be a comeuppance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One of the refs/VP (Remar) is saying he told Icewave to move or he would knock himself out. Icewave didn't need to show movement because he wasn't being counted out but at least we know it wasn't intentional, just a bad ref call.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chomp is kinda funny when it jumps but it's a gimmick and I would love to see it torn to pieces. I don't understand the reasoning behind something like that. It will never win against serious bots so why not redesign it into something that isn't dumb.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They should retire Chomp by pitting it against all the big hitter bots at once and let them have at it until there is nothing left bigger than a softball.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Woo, I had no idea this was back for another season. Is it streaming anywhere so I can catch up on the latest tournament?

It's On Demand here, if you have cable or sat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When you lose to Overhaul, time to hang it up.

rear end ton of commercials causing the episode to run overtime and I missed the end. I assume Bite Force annihilated End Game? Also why was the episode called forklifting time if that bot wasn't fighting?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Burger bot is a barely moving target. If it worked that would be something at least. Blacksmith is a bit of a gimmick bot but it's tough and sometimes works. Huge is a total gimmick but is hilarious because it defeats wedges and doesn't explode the instant it's hit. It's all about execution.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Great Beer posted:

They reverse when something jams them to prevent the motor from exploding.

That's what saved Witch Doctor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Huge is going to take the title, I'm calling it.
Not really.

Maybe next week Chomp can fight that shoebox with a flag on it that Yeti brought, probably still lose. Brutus put on a good show. I was a little surprised at the Unanimous decision for Yeti even if I am rooting for them. He needs more strategy than slam head first into the enemy weapon again and again, that's all he ever does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

T1g4h posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm salty as gently caress about the split decision on that Icewave / Skorpios fight. That was some bullshit :argh:

I get it. Technically Icewave should have won and I don't think anyone would have contested if they did, BUT Icewave could have sat still the entire match and it wouldn't have affected the outcome. Icewave ran from Skorpios almost the entire match, they were outdriven.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was rooting for Sharkoprion just because it's unique and timed (almost) perfectly for shark week. I hope he gets a bigger spinner or a giant set of jaws, a little more oomph, and comes back. Also, kudos to Warhead for playing along with the t-rex jaws.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chopped, but with robots.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PostNouveau posted:

There are a lot more shots this year of teams throwing in the towel to keep their opponents from annihilating them.. .

There is no throwing in the towel. You can stop moving and wait for the 10 count but there is no rule against contact during the count.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Great Beer posted:

... for those without science channel.

I don't, so thanks. I love the name, mecharampage. I don't know why.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lockjaw looks good but the spinner is too far back.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rondette posted:

I feel like Tombstone ... should be an end of level boss

Well, it is really.

Thing about Tombstone is it turns so fast that it's nearly impossible to hit anything but it's weapon; and it's durable as hell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It only has two wheels which let it pivot without forward motion.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone else record this show and have issues with the timer? I'm with Dish and the show title changes every week forcing me to make a new timer every week.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Blacksmith and Warhead was mildly fun to watch, like two toddlers fighting with pool noodles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Florence knocked out the power during the last fight, who won?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like there is a flaw in the rules that allow horizontal spinners, especially Tombstone, to dominate. It's like rock, paper, scissors; without the paper. Right now the only chance against Tombstone is building something like Duck and hoping it can break the blade.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

...and the decision was somewhat controversial.

Thank you.

I like Duck and root for them but the weapon sucks and I'm not surprised they'd lose to a decision. Also, it needs wheel protection!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tunicate posted:

Here's my bracket. I spent more time trying to pick fonts for bots than on the matches

I would love to see this happen but ...

The battle I am most unsure about is Minotaur vs Witch Doctor, only because WD has removed their wedge so the spinner sticks out and does more damage.

edit; fixed!
edit; fixed2! I don't want to miss out on points!

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Glumslinger posted:

You have tombstone vs minotaur twice

TY, fixed!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Did anyone else feel like Tombstone wasn't maneuvering well? It usually pivots on a dime but seemed to be sluggish.
I had hoped to at least pick 3/4 winners.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Excellent strategy & driving by Whiplash. Also good show by Icewave for staying aggressive even though it was being mauled to pieces. That had to be expensive.
RIP my bracket picks but my wife picked every winner. :wtf:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I also FF through almost everything, besides the fights I like the [too few] pit videos. Kenny and Chris are cool and sometimes I watch their reactions just because they don't spend much time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Coaaab posted:

Did you see this? It's like a side series of shorts focusing on pit repairs for some of the bots this season.

No but thanks for posting it, I will check it out.

• Locked thread