Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Noticed there was a new thread, figured I'd pop in with a bit of insight into filming-

The entire event, including inspections was filmed over a 16 day period around the start of April.
The ranking match format gives teams that have a rough first match a chance to come back, though it's pretty brutal on the teams as by the end of four fights odds are you've had a lot of work to do.
For those that saw the Bombshell fight, we were having issues with the weapon motor, belt tension, and esc programming for the fight. By the time the first fight happened we'd already burnt up two of our weapon motors and had to make a trip to the motor vendor to buy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

That's really rough. At least you have time between matches to get major repairs done as opposed to Robot Wars. Still burning out two motors before the start of the second match is painful.

Yeah, to what degree they were able they gave teams a good bit of time between fights. There was some decent equipment on site (Tormach mill & lathe, Lincoln welding gear, etc...) which made some of the repairs and modifications far less painful than they'd have otherwise been.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

A big part of the goal with the new "ranking match" system was to make it easier for people to watch an individual episode whether or not they've seen the prior ones which makes it far easier for the network to do reruns/marathons/etc where people aren't always coming in with the same knowledge. The fight card system also is meant to somewhat resemble boxing/mma, where you've got the top names facing each other and undercard fights where new or underrated bots get a chance to prove themselves and climb into the main event(s).

During filming they had a general idea of what matches they wanted but would only announce the next day or two typically so they had a good bit of ability to adjust match-ups based on how the bots were performing at the time. It was a bit brutal on the teams, as there are a lot of fights, and a lot of damage to fix (and filming was only 16 days long including setup/off days) but there's a general feeling across the teams that it will make for good TV.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I checked out the fightcard on their main website and it seems there is a 3 bot battle that will only be on the Science Channel airing of the show, and it's got me wondering if they have been doing this every week?

It's been a mix of extra fights & short segments.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's the way it's designed. The mechanism for firing the hammer is tall and awkward so when they armor it it's tall and awkward.

I don't know their funding situation but you would think after a couple of years of flopping around the ring like a trout they would try and give it a wide and more stable design.

The original autocad concept looks like it would work better, but they obviously had to design around the hammer mechanism once they put it together.

Knowing the team behind it, at this point getting the current design working "right" is probably a challenge to them.

One thing that a lot of people miss is that the CG on Chomp is way lower than it looks, since most of the stuff above the wheels is full of air/nitrogen. If I recall correctly their CG is somewhere around 4-6" above the ground.

The flopping around is caused by a mix of a few things: The floor of the box & traction paint on it doesn't work well with magnets, (this was their original plan to help with stability) the hammer swings with a crazy amount of force, (see: https://www.facebook.com/ChompTheBattleBot/videos/803072849888497/ ) and to allow the 360deg travel on the hammer, they had to limit the overall width of the bot, which is the real factor that makes the bot unstable as opposed to the CG.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Lipos really don't like being damaged.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Oddly relevant to the current discussion, after the Bronco fight we switched the transmitter setup so the disk was operated by a second person. With all the spin-up issues we were having, me needing to take thought away from driving to try to get the disk spinning (usually requiring playing with the throttle a bit until everything synched properly) was having an impact on the driving at the worst possible moments. If the weapon doesn't require much thought beyond "NOW!" then I prefer to control it, but when there's significant mental effort to make it work, then a person dedicated to it is nice, particularly if there's no need to coordinate activation.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

GuavaMoment posted:

And they did show it! Both judges decision were super close, those were some tough calls to make for them. How bad was the fire? What burned out?

Somewhat early in the fight Yeti tagged one of our drive axles, bending it. While this didn't cause binding, that side of the bot was bouncing like crazy the rest of the fight which was part of why it wasn't driving as well after that point. The other issue it caused (as best I can tell) was that you're hammering the wheel into the ground causing brief, repetitive current spikes. In theory, we should have been fine as the esc current limit was set to 100A less than the rated continuous current (VictorBB at 200A) and the motor was being run at the recommended specs. (48v long Ampflow) In practice, the commutator on the drive motor exploded and the motor controller caught fire near simultaneously. Murphys law being what it is, the esc that caught fire was the one we hadn't disabled the bec on (we'd heard of issues with having multiples of these escs all with their becs enabled killing the escs) which meant the receiver turned off and the motor/esc that wasn't burned up stopped.

Based on the issues we saw in our own use and with other teams we decided that for future builds we'd be actively avoiding both the motor and esc unless we had no other option.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Great Beer posted:

Arent the 48v Ampflows the same ones witch doctors team had to remove?

They were running the 150's, we were running the 400's. Neither seems terribly capable of handling the power Ampflow claims they're able to put out.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Yep, still ten episodes to go, and all of this was filmed over ~2 weeks. The schedule was a bit exhausting. If I remember correctly, filming started Tuesday of week one (Most teams arrived on the prior Saturday) and the current fights are near Sunday, so the remaining 10 episodes are mostly from the first Sunday to the second Sunday. (There were repair days Thursday of week one, Monday of week two, and Thursday of week 2)

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Is this why at least one robot every episode just spontaneously combusts? Everyone is using a name brand and are being hit by the same poor quality part?

There were rumors circulating into the pits related to the QC process (and manufacturing) of several very common components. Based on what I saw, none of those parts will end up in another robot I build.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

logikv9 posted:

what the gently caress hasn't anybody strapped a cutting torch on the front of a bot yet

Flame weapons are limited to propane and butane or blends of the two. It's also difficult to make the other bot sit still.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Apparently we weren't quite done after the Bite Force match.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Today's episode is great.

That Huge v. Icewave fight was crazy and yet not totally unexpected. Also, wow, go Bombshell, that was a great rumble. I can see why some folks might think it should've gone to Duck but it seemed like a close call.

Still technically under the NDA till the show airs on Discovery, but I think it's safe to say that a close read of the judging rules makes the result pretty straightforward, even if that doesn't make people like it.

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/BattleBots-Tournament-Rules.2018.Rev-1.01.pdf (7.6.1 on page 31)

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

On the plus side, given all the controversy it seems like it's almost certain there's going to be a Bombshell Vs. Duck rematch next season, which should be a fun fight.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Out of curiosity, what led you to forgo the modular design this year? Also, was the lack of self-righting intentional?

We had a modular design mostly done, but the time between the season being official and the ship date was far too tight to build it without cutting tons of corners. Due to some shipping delays we essentially had 5 weeks to build the robot. The self righting plan was to use the disk to help with righting, however the motors we used had a nasty habit of catching fire when we gave them near their "rated" power. The lack of ability to handle power meant we needed to use the faux-bar instead of the full disk since it was lighter, but that made self righting harder. If you look at the bot in the rumble and Bite Force fights, you'll notice the "ears" are gone. Cutting them off meant we couldn't get stuck in a position where the wheels wouldn't reach the ground, but we also couldn't spin while inverted.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Duck looked like the sole survivor until the last second, but Bombshell showed movement in the nick of time as the round ended. Bombshell won by unanimous judges decision, presumably because it doled out more active weapon damage than Duck. Duck's driver looked equal parts crushed and pissed, and the decision was somewhat controversial.

Yep. I'm pretty sure if Duck had used their weapon more they'd have won. Using the lifter as a plow likely actively prevented them from getting the aggression point.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

The fire in the Lock-Jaw fight was one of our drive controllers rather spectacularly destroying itself.

As far as Tombstone's driving, one of Ray's tactics is to expose a wheel to bait the other bot into trying to attack it, then rotate the weapon into them, which looks a bit odd if you don't know what he's doing. I was expecting this and just focused on going right after the weapon instead of giving him the chance to make his move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The TV crew claimed this version of Bombshell was designed with Tombstone in mind. Any truth to that?

Better description would probably be that it was set up to deal with horizontal spinners in general well (Gigabyte, Icewave, etc...) to the point where we even had two disk designs, with one focused toward general use and the other toward horizontal spinners. The weapon motor ended up not being able to handle the power it was rated for, so we had to use the anti-horizontal spinner disk the whole time, but had it been powerful enough you'd have seen a different disk in a lot of the fights.

• Locked thread