Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Why do they always hype Witch Doctor like it's good? I seem to recall it repeatedly failing spectacularly in past years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's the best, he must be stoked. Was it expensive?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, the hazards on this show are really toothless. The floor saw is the only one even worth anything.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It would have been some majorly expensive carnage. I'm glad he wasn't a complete rear end.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I could buy that it was an accident. It looked like he was trying to turn around to exit the arena and misjudged his distance from Yeti. It'd be an astonishing level of dickishness if it was intentional; he'd have to be a much bigger rear end in a top hat than he seemed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

wormil posted:

He had won but kept the rotor at full speed, edging closer, and was grinning at the Yeti guys. I guess only he knows for sure but it looked intentional, and giggling while claiming it was an accident wasn't very convincing.

I didn't see him smiling but I don't have the capacity to rewatch it. As for the rotor, it was going fast enough that I'd think it would take a few moments to wind down after he deactivated it, and he turned around pretty quickly after the knockout. Regardless, it was thoughtless of him either way.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is the third new season, so you have a lot of robot fighting time to catch up on!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Great Beer posted:

Battlebots judging criteria are a bit different than you might expect. They look for damage, control, and aggression but the aggression category only counts for aggression with the primary weapon. Warrior shoved chomp around a lot but only used its flipper a few times. chomp was constantly swinging that hammer. Chomp was also fully functional at the end of the fight whereas warrior was smoking with a broken weapon. So I'm guessing Naomi assumed one of Chomps hammer hits broke the flipper (remember they don't have fancy camera closeups and multiple angles of the fight, they're just sitting box side) and gave it the damage and aggression points, with warrior winning in control.

This guy battlebots.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's too bad that the girlbots suck, but this never called for a gangbang.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Chomp is trash.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

The announcers mentioned once that they hit with 100 pounds of force

That's it? No wonder it seems so impotent.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd love to see a budget Battlebots where a scrapyard's worth of parts are bought and competitors pick through it to make robots that compete in various challenges like robo sumo or obstacle courses and the requisite beating the crap out of each other

This is a fantastic idea and it needs to happen.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Our local goon expert said that they had ridiculously quick turnarounds and essentially last minute matchup assignments. So I'd guess it's the format. So I'd also expect it to calm down a bit as we get back into brackets in a couple weeks.

Gotta say though, it's really cool to see how they patch up the bots and retool them for their next enemy bots. I don't think we got quite as much of that in previous years. I'd also postulate that since the format lets more teams compete, the competitive moxie in the workshop is stronger than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Their immediate LOL NOPE reaction at the end of the battle was pretty priceless.

• Locked thread