Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pillars 1 was a loving great game and 2 looks way better. they've tightened up the systems a lot, the classes all got fully redone and subclasses and multiclassing are in, they've added a ton of cool gimmicks you can do like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fdjvx1fMa8

game looks awesome too, theyve taken away the dingy filter that was kind of all over everything in the first game so everything pops visually and they added tons of cool little visual elements. it helps that the game's in a huge tropical archipelago this time so you can see like birds flitting between trees and things. also it looks like there are actual light-hearted quests and stuff instead of just being fuckin grim all the time. game releases tomorrow and i'm super fuckin stoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I was just reading about this yesterday and got a full hankering to play it. I guess I should check out the first one, it had some issues but it was still good right? I'm a sucker for being able to import a save file with story decisions and poo poo from one game to the next

edit: also the boat management subsystem looks absolutely like my kinda poo poo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

you can name your boat and it shows up on the side of the boat and you can change it as much as you want and imo this is up there with big country names in paradox mapgames

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I lost a heady weekend to PoEI and spent like 25 hours micromanaging my party and then on sunday night my save file corrupted and I lost everything and never played it again I was so bummed. I'll definitely play 2, it looks like a great refinement on a game that already had a real solid base. Will this one have kickstarted NPCs littered around again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I lost a heady weekend to PoEI and spent like 25 hours micromanaging my party and then on sunday night my save file corrupted and I lost everything and never played it again I was so bummed. I'll definitely play 2, it looks like a great refinement on a game that already had a real solid base. Will this one have kickstarted NPCs littered around again.

im not sure but i don't think so. literally no one liked them in 1 so i'm pretty sure they just left them out of the fig campaign lol

goferchan posted:

I was just reading about this yesterday and got a full hankering to play it. I guess I should check out the first one, it had some issues but it was still good right? I'm a sucker for being able to import a save file with story decisions and poo poo from one game to the next

1 is still really good. the pacing's kind of weird but the first run through is really, really fun and the combat system is super good and crunchy. the dlc in particular is hard as nails in a really cool way and figuring out how to get better at stuff is amazing. if you dont though they have the witcher 3 style create a fake savegame thing at chargen

elf help book posted:

you can name your boat and it shows up on the side of the boat and you can change it as much as you want and imo this is up there with big country names in paradox mapgames

theres also undiscovered islands you can name and have the name pop up on the world map and i'm so, so fuckin excited

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played a couple hours of the first one and it was cool though it didn't give me the same kind of RPGfeels from playing Baldur's Gate as a kid

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is sick. i've attempted to start PoE like 4 times and i always get scared by how heavy and involved it is lol but maybe i should take another crack at it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

theres also undiscovered islands you can name and have the name pop up on the world map and i'm so, so fuckin excited

O my god

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

game looks awesome too, theyve taken away the dingy filter that was kind of all over everything in the first game so everything pops visually and they added tons of cool little visual elements. it helps that the game's in a huge tropical archipelago this time so you can see like birds flitting between trees and things. also it looks like there are actual light-hearted quests and stuff instead of just being fuckin grim all the time.

That’s got me excited again, I liked the actual gameplay of the first one a lot but the dull visuals in service of an extremely generic fantasy plot in an extremely generic fantasy setting soured me on it really hard, especially after their “B-team” did all those things 1000x better in Tyranny

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Oh hell yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s got me excited again, I liked the actual gameplay of the first one a lot but the dull visuals in service of an extremely generic fantasy plot in an extremely generic fantasy setting soured me on it really hard, especially after their “B-team” did all those things 1000x better in Tyranny

yeah like, they spent a ton of time makin these cool hand-drawn maps and adding really neat touches and then everything ended up looking washed out and bad because everything was super grey. i liked the setting and main quest writing a lot but the aesthetic overall was just kind of bleh

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also man, i'm starting to think avellone was really starting to hold back the team. his writing is super obvious and most of my least favorite parts of the game revolve around it, and as soon as he left people started doing really neat stuff with the setting and writing fun quests and interactions instead of all dumb grim poo poo. imo him leaving was a best case scenario pretty much all around

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does rope kid still work on these games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Does rope kid still work on these games.

yes, hes the director on this and now hes taking a long vacation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

yes, hes the director on this and now hes taking a long vacation

A hearty Goongrats to him

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

He should post in the Imp Zone.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Cool tie-ins with the Critical Role folks if you’re into that stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah like, they spent a ton of time makin these cool hand-drawn maps and adding really neat touches and then everything ended up looking washed out and bad because everything was super grey. i liked the setting and main quest writing a lot but the aesthetic overall was just kind of bleh

There was a lot of cool stuff about the setting but I feel like most of it was confined to the codex. Like that one enemy that just seemed like regular goblin things but if you read their codex entry it turns out that they’re children born without souls that the animancers transplanted an animal soul into as a desperate experiment that seemed to work until they went feral and violent. The actual game was just elves and Orcs fighting in a swamp but there was really cool stuff hidden away under all that but only if you went looking for it.

I don’t know, I still liked it a lot and I’m pumped about the sequel, it looks like it will make use of that cool stuff and if nothing else sailing around discovering things will be awesome. I picked the explorer background for my character and specified that she was a former sailor in that really detailed backstory you can make in the first conversation of the game that never gets mentioned again, I hope that comes up in the sequel even if it’s just a couple lines of dialogue or help on a ship-related skill check or whatever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

There was a lot of cool stuff about the setting but I feel like most of it was confined to the codex. Like that one enemy that just seemed like regular goblin things but if you read their codex entry it turns out that they’re children born without souls that the animancers transplanted an animal soul into as a desperate experiment that seemed to work until they went feral and violent. The actual game was just elves and Orcs fighting in a swamp but there was really cool stuff hidden away under all that but only if you went looking for it.

I don’t know, I still liked it a lot and I’m pumped about the sequel, it looks like it will make use of that cool stuff and if nothing else sailing around discovering things will be awesome. I picked the explorer background for my character and specified that she was a former sailor in that really detailed backstory you can make in the first conversation of the game that never gets mentioned again, I hope that comes up in the sequel even if it’s just a couple lines of dialogue or help on a ship-related skill check or whatever.

yeah there werent that many good dialogue checks but the ones that were there were cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah there werent that many good dialogue checks but the ones that were there were cool

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

games_journalism.png

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

do i need to play the first game to know what's going on

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nah, theres a big recap at the beginning and you can design your own savegame to import

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

games_journalism.png

extremely firm 'fun for fans of genre'

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

extremely firm 'fun for fans of genre'

The writing is great, up there with the best that Obsidian, Bioware, or Bethesda has ever offered, but it skews heavily towards being either serious or funny.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

The writing is great, up there with the best that Obsidian, Bioware, or Bethesda has ever offered, but it skews heavily towards being either serious or funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Good to know. I'll wait for a sale.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I can wait a couple years for a humblebundle personally. Overwatch will tide me over

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

I can wait a couple years for a humblebundle personally. Overwatch will tide me over

In Training posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

apparently theres a save import bug that seems like it chooses a bunch of characters endings more or less at random. patch due out next week, guess i'll hold out until then

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

been playing the first pillars, it took some key remapping but im getting adjusted to the combat, i feel like it couldve been handled in a way less awkward way though

cleared the dungeon in the first lovely little town and now im probably about to kill their king, its a good time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive been doing the dlc while i wait for the save import bug to get fixed and its really good. the writing is way better and more fun than the main quest, the dungeons and quests have been really good, and aside from one bs enemy type that are all over the place (gently caress lagufaeth) i've been having a great time with it. from what ive heard 2 is basically all this level of quality so i cant wait until it's fully playable

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

been playing the first pillars, it took some key remapping but im getting adjusted to the combat, i feel like it couldve been handled in a way less awkward way though

cleared the dungeon in the first lovely little town and now im probably about to kill their king, its a good time

Just picked it up over the weekend and my only complaint is it can be awkward positioning casters to not friendly fire their teammates. Other than that, the story is cool, the music is great, the stronghold stuff is cool. It’s really fun and while I’m sad I slept on it for so long, I’ll be able to jump right into the 2nd one after beating this.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

planescape torment is about a million words to long iirc

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is less about PoE itself but drat is it refreshing to play an rpg where the player has some real freedom with their actions, like if i wanted to i couldve slaughtered everyone in that first town, i could resolve a big street fight by buying everyone beers, there are a lot of opportunities to god drat role-play and it feels like you were just plopped into this world and not following someones story about their long lost son or whatever

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I tried to start a new playthrough but I hate all the character portraits and theres no way to add any more without visiting some AIDS nexus website. I cant imagine how I was able to get past this before

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

I tried to start a new playthrough but I hate all the character portraits and theres no way to add any more without visiting some AIDS nexus website. I cant imagine how I was able to get past this before

the character portaits are lame, i just use the generic helmed knight ones for people lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Don't play like you're too cool for NexusAIDS

Ultimate Badass Anime Female Fantasy Portrait Pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked one of the two female Pale Elf portraits so that’s what I always play no matter how many times I reroll.

• Locked thread