Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I'm going to start on PoE1 today, do companions permadeath on hitting 0 hp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elusif posted:

I'm going to start on PoE1 today, do companions permadeath on hitting 0 hp?

iirc they can, in fact, die completely, but its rare that you run into this problem because their stamina or w.e. drains much faster and they pass out and npcs stop targetting them. if someone wipes multiple times between rests, though, their HP can get very low and they can die the next time they get knocked out

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There’s an option that is on by default that “maims” your character the first time they hit 0 hp. Presumably after that perma death is an option.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Elusif posted:

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

yeah if a character reaches 0 HP, they're 'maimed', if you win the fight they will have 1 HP and 1 END +severe stat penalties and die fr if they take anymore hits, but its a chance for you to rest and restore them completely

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There are a buncha options you can click off to make the game harder and that is one of them. Game is really set up for multiple playthroughs, but I just don’t have the time withe the sequel just sitting there waiting.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just got to the Big City, didnt realize i missed the exit for it and i started thinking maybe i wasnt supposed to be fighting swarms of huge drakes yet. now i have 9000 new sidequests

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It feels like there's ~15 hours of content in the city alone depending how efficient you are clearing out each area.

One thing I hosed up on was not going into every building as soon as possible using the logic of "well I'd never just waltz into a stranger's house" but you definitely should. I had to backtrack all the way to the first lovely town just to wrap up a buncha crap in my journal. Nearing 30 hours of gametime and I just hit the town after the big city. I feel like I'm barely a third into the game.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Finally can start two soon. Wrapping up dlc 2 then just the last sequence. Got all three dragons killed, folks. Does pillars 2 import from the cloud or do I need to leave the first one installed?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I did some stuff in the very first zone of the big city, working on my stronghold. Currently searching for a missing noblewoman who disappeared(?)

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

think i may have found temple of woedica a little early... this big encounter at the end is super hard

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

think i may have found temple of woedica a little early... this big encounter at the end is super hard

If it's the one I'm thinking of, there may be better way to go about it.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, there may be better way to go about it.

ive tried donning the mask and going in alone but I dont have any conversation options that dont end in combat. Ill explore the area more and see if I should do something different

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
That's weird. May be a stats issue, or maybe there are some documents around you missed?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Never mind I figured it out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol that murdering kickstarter npcs doesnt do anything to your status as long as theres no witnesses

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

extremebuff posted:

lol that murdering kickstarter npcs doesnt do anything to your status as long as theres no witnesses

just like rea l life...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress adragons

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

game has a lot of Content..i thought things were maybe starting to wrap up but ive essentially just unlocked the other half of the world map and a new huge city full of quests. i was not smart enough to convince a man hes totally not drinking poison and I got surrounded and killed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the combat's geting a lot more fun with everyone having a lot of options (the priest has like 30 drat spells now) but one thing that's starting to grate is just how much time you spend waiting for your guys to walk from A to B. if there's a mod that lets me fast travel whenever+adds a quadruple speed option or something it would help the pacing a lot

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

the combat's geting a lot more fun with everyone having a lot of options (the priest has like 30 drat spells now) but one thing that's starting to grate is just how much time you spend waiting for your guys to walk from A to B. if there's a mod that lets me fast travel whenever+adds a quadruple speed option or something it would help the pacing a lot

you must gather your party before venturing forth

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

the only thing i dont like about 1 so far is that it somehow has even worse npc pathing than BG1. sometimes when i tell one of my party to move in a straight line like 5 steps they will get stuck in a loop just walking back and forth behind the group or something else dumb

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you must gather your party before venturing forth

You have completed tom's request. Turn this quest into Tom at his house in First Fires.

Loading Defiance Bay.
*checks map* Tom's house isn't marked. have to look at a wiki because gently caress if i remember
5 minutes of walking to tom's house in the giant town
Loading First fires
5 minutes of walking to Tom's house
Loading Tom's house
Oh tom? He's on the second floor!
Loading Tom's house Floor 2
Tom: Thank you, here is a lovely sword

give me a loving break here

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

You have completed tom's request. Turn this quest into Tom at his house in First Fires.

Loading Defiance Bay.
*checks map* Tom's house isn't marked. have to look at a wiki because gently caress if i remember
Loading First fires
Loading Tom's house

Sounds just like an Infinity Engine game lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

the only thing i dont like about 1 so far is that it somehow has even worse npc pathing than BG1. sometimes when i tell one of my party to move in a straight line like 5 steps they will get stuck in a loop just walking back and forth behind the group or something else dumb

It’s really ftw when your casters all shove past your fighters to get through a doorway even though your formation is set so that warriors should be in front, the casters immediately get engaged by whatever enemy is on the other side, and then your warriors all get stuck in the doorway together like the Three Stooges and aren’t able to help

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s really ftw when your casters all shove past your fighters to get through a doorway even though your formation is set so that warriors should be in front, the casters immediately get engaged by whatever enemy is on the other side, and then your warriors all get stuck in the doorway together like the Three Stooges and aren’t able to help

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hahaha

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

even baldurs gate was way better about this

extremebuff posted:

Loading Defiance Bay.
Loading First fires
Loading Tom's house

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sounds just like an Infinity Engine game lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The loading times are strangely long even on SSDs given each screen is a single map and a handful of non-voiced npc's

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

and the maps are .jpgs

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Pillars of Eternity 2 is loving awesome bros. There's a fast forward mode for traveling when not in combat and the dialogue/voice acting is epic and the combat is really interesting. I played like 3 hours of it last night before bed and today I want to dig into it but I know I have to make myself wait until my work is done because I definitely would end up losing my entire day. I almost started with the first one bc I never finished it but after seeing these posts I'm glad I changed my mind

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well i still really like poe and plan to finish it but the loading/wait times have gotten really loving old lol

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

extremebuff posted:

Loading Defiance Bay.
Loading First fires
Loading Tom's house

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

rediscover posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is loving awesome bros. There's a fast forward mode for traveling when not in combat and the dialogue/voice acting is epic and the combat is really interesting. I played like 3 hours of it last night before bed and today I want to dig into it but I know I have to make myself wait until my work is done because I definitely would end up losing my entire day. I almost started with the first one bc I never finished it but after seeing these posts I'm glad I changed my mind

Fast mode is in pillars of eternity 1.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

back home and got the day off so i'm doing white march 1. durgan's battery's a fuckin good dungeon and ive never done white march 2 and heard it's better, so i'm fairly fuckin pumped

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

its still a good game, these are minor problems. the game definitely has its problems (couple of the systems are mushier than they are in 2, theres a lot of chaff fights especially in the endless paths, the plots a bit of a slow burn) but overall its definitely worth a play. might be tricky coming back from 2 though, they tightened up a lot of stuff and fixed a lot of the pain points from 1

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

well i still really like poe and plan to finish it but the loading/wait times have gotten really loving old lol

Same. I feel a lot of these problems were solved by the time Tyranny came out, so I’ve no doubt poe2 will be lots of fun.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Which, btw, if you like POE definitely check out Tyranny. It’s so good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

everyone tells me tyranny takes a big dump on PoE in every way, but its expensive and im still enjoying pillars a lot. its on the list though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
didn’t mean to sound like i was throwing shade at PoE 1. i loved that game. also the party member who’s voiced by revolver ocelot just took my character aside to tell him Dude.. your being kind of a dick and i don’t know if i can keep going with you if your gonna be like this. lmfao

• Locked thread