Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is sick. i've attempted to start PoE like 4 times and i always get scared by how heavy and involved it is lol but maybe i should take another crack at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah there werent that many good dialogue checks but the ones that were there were cool

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

The writing is great, up there with the best that Obsidian, Bioware, or Bethesda has ever offered, but it skews heavily towards being either serious or funny.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Good to know. I'll wait for a sale.

I can wait a couple years for a humblebundle personally. Overwatch will tide me over

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

been playing the first pillars, it took some key remapping but im getting adjusted to the combat, i feel like it couldve been handled in a way less awkward way though

cleared the dungeon in the first lovely little town and now im probably about to kill their king, its a good time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is less about PoE itself but drat is it refreshing to play an rpg where the player has some real freedom with their actions, like if i wanted to i couldve slaughtered everyone in that first town, i could resolve a big street fight by buying everyone beers, there are a lot of opportunities to god drat role-play and it feels like you were just plopped into this world and not following someones story about their long lost son or whatever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

I tried to start a new playthrough but I hate all the character portraits and theres no way to add any more without visiting some AIDS nexus website. I cant imagine how I was able to get past this before

the character portaits are lame, i just use the generic helmed knight ones for people lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Don't play like you're too cool for NexusAIDS

please dont link viruses here

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this drake encounter with 30 mobs around it is hosed lmfao. is thee stuff that youre simply not ready for or am i just not playing well, i spam stuns on their healers and flankers and protect everyone from drakebreath but we just get wiped

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

depends on which encounter it is but yeah theres no level scaling and there are some wicked tough encounters, especially in endless paths. where's the fight?

oh its near the tart of endless paths but i went to other rooms and nearly everything there kicks my rear end. guess ill get out and do other stuff

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have a full 6 but its a nightmare. everyone gets paralyzed constantly lmao i just need better resists

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

I took some time leveling up and went back around level 6. If you immediately pull back to the previous room with the blood pool, you can get them bottlenecked in a doorway.

Also, knockdown works on the drake. Eoder was the MVP of that fight.

:aaaaa:

well ill come back to that later. not sure how i feel about so many abilities being locked behind Rests instead of a mana system or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

Once you get 3rd level spells and whatnot it will feel a lot less restrictive. It helps that generic attacks with rods and wands are fairly good in their own right. I absolutely hated casting at first but now it feels real good.

yeah ive been taking +1 cast whenever it pops up and it feels a lot better.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

probably gonna do a second run as an evil caster..PoE1 spoiler theres a santanic blood cult that you can actually join..im guessing by building a reputation as a vicious murderer and talking to the right people. also thinking about how much of the game would really change if i played that way

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like the idea of every stat being universally important, like might boosts ALL dmg and healing so when i find a ring of +might or whatever my head spins thinking of who to put it on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Elusif posted:

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

yeah if a character reaches 0 HP, they're 'maimed', if you win the fight they will have 1 HP and 1 END +severe stat penalties and die fr if they take anymore hits, but its a chance for you to rest and restore them completely

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just got to the Big City, didnt realize i missed the exit for it and i started thinking maybe i wasnt supposed to be fighting swarms of huge drakes yet. now i have 9000 new sidequests

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol that murdering kickstarter npcs doesnt do anything to your status as long as theres no witnesses

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress adragons

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

game has a lot of Content..i thought things were maybe starting to wrap up but ive essentially just unlocked the other half of the world map and a new huge city full of quests. i was not smart enough to convince a man hes totally not drinking poison and I got surrounded and killed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the combat's geting a lot more fun with everyone having a lot of options (the priest has like 30 drat spells now) but one thing that's starting to grate is just how much time you spend waiting for your guys to walk from A to B. if there's a mod that lets me fast travel whenever+adds a quadruple speed option or something it would help the pacing a lot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

you must gather your party before venturing forth

You have completed tom's request. Turn this quest into Tom at his house in First Fires.

Loading Defiance Bay.
*checks map* Tom's house isn't marked. have to look at a wiki because gently caress if i remember
5 minutes of walking to tom's house in the giant town
Loading First fires
5 minutes of walking to Tom's house
Loading Tom's house
Oh tom? He's on the second floor!
Loading Tom's house Floor 2
Tom: Thank you, here is a lovely sword

give me a loving break here

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s really ftw when your casters all shove past your fighters to get through a doorway even though your formation is set so that warriors should be in front, the casters immediately get engaged by whatever enemy is on the other side, and then your warriors all get stuck in the doorway together like the Three Stooges and aren’t able to help

hahaha

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

and the maps are .jpgs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well i still really like poe and plan to finish it but the loading/wait times have gotten really loving old lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

everyone tells me tyranny takes a big dump on PoE in every way, but its expensive and im still enjoying pillars a lot. its on the list though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I like PoE but yeah Tyranny blows it out of the water. My only complaint is that it’s short by the standards of the genre, like 25 hours, but that’s to facilitate multiple playthroughs. The gameplay is the same but faster-paced and all the writing is way better. I really hope it turns into a series, the setting is so cool.

i prefer games to be short and replayable than to drag on and seem daunting

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just killed a dragon. fair and square. no way it took me 20 attempts and i got mad and set it to baby mode, and then felt guilty and tried another 10 times and killed it on normal. easy. bitch rear end lil dragon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i find i need a character in pillars who levels up mechanics and nothing else and i still hit doors and traps i can't touch constantly lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Make a character who does lore and mechanics and read a scroll that increases your mechanics for the really tough doors.

ty for the tips all. i wont play this til the weekend when i can sink an entire day into it lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Sort of a devils advocate type thought but um, how did you know whether or not they had mens asses unless you looked.

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MC paladin ftw.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

MC paladin had bailed my team out so many times with clutch lay on hands. The single target dps is real nice too.

Currently experimenting with the monk and giving it the rogue backstab. Hoping to give their dps a little bump.

in later levels the pally gets a revive, a multiheal, and a "no gently caress you hes fine actually" hostile effect denier that instantly removes charmed/stunned/anything negative at all on an ally and makes them impervious to those effects for a good while

a lot of the classes are great and versatile but im really disappointed in the ranger. she shoots things, and her pet eventually gets a knockdown that you cant autocast and have to manually click on every single fight, thats about it. no cool tricks or buffs or anything lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tyranny's on sale for 15 rn but my bdays coming up and im just gonna nag someone to get it for me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

ths is the one good trend in modern gaming

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ah, hell. What am I going to do without being able to read 800 pages worth of “Durance grinned, his smile like a bear trap gleaming in a full moon. ‘Oh, it shocks you, it shocks you, to see what’s buried beneath, you stupid motherfucker,’ he says, his voice creaking like the boards of an old trading ship rocking on the stormy waves of the Vailian sea.”

• Locked thread