Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

game looks awesome too, theyve taken away the dingy filter that was kind of all over everything in the first game so everything pops visually and they added tons of cool little visual elements. it helps that the game's in a huge tropical archipelago this time so you can see like birds flitting between trees and things. also it looks like there are actual light-hearted quests and stuff instead of just being fuckin grim all the time.

That’s got me excited again, I liked the actual gameplay of the first one a lot but the dull visuals in service of an extremely generic fantasy plot in an extremely generic fantasy setting soured me on it really hard, especially after their “B-team” did all those things 1000x better in Tyranny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

theres also undiscovered islands you can name and have the name pop up on the world map and i'm so, so fuckin excited

Oh hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah like, they spent a ton of time makin these cool hand-drawn maps and adding really neat touches and then everything ended up looking washed out and bad because everything was super grey. i liked the setting and main quest writing a lot but the aesthetic overall was just kind of bleh

There was a lot of cool stuff about the setting but I feel like most of it was confined to the codex. Like that one enemy that just seemed like regular goblin things but if you read their codex entry it turns out that they’re children born without souls that the animancers transplanted an animal soul into as a desperate experiment that seemed to work until they went feral and violent. The actual game was just elves and Orcs fighting in a swamp but there was really cool stuff hidden away under all that but only if you went looking for it.

I don’t know, I still liked it a lot and I’m pumped about the sequel, it looks like it will make use of that cool stuff and if nothing else sailing around discovering things will be awesome. I picked the explorer background for my character and specified that she was a former sailor in that really detailed backstory you can make in the first conversation of the game that never gets mentioned again, I hope that comes up in the sequel even if it’s just a couple lines of dialogue or help on a ship-related skill check or whatever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked one of the two female Pale Elf portraits so that’s what I always play no matter how many times I reroll.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the rests thing is pretty annoying. I’m playing as a priest, still early-game, and I can only use my tier 1 spells 4 times and my tier 2 twice before I need to either use up a camping supply, run back to an inn, or just fight like a crummy under-equipped warrior.

Being a priest is cool for story reasons, though, I’ve already got a ton of unique dialogue for being an Eothas worshipper just in the first town. None with Eder though so far, which is kind of strange. I hope I can get into theological arguments with the other priest when I meet him

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

the only thing i dont like about 1 so far is that it somehow has even worse npc pathing than BG1. sometimes when i tell one of my party to move in a straight line like 5 steps they will get stuck in a loop just walking back and forth behind the group or something else dumb

It’s really ftw when your casters all shove past your fighters to get through a doorway even though your formation is set so that warriors should be in front, the casters immediately get engaged by whatever enemy is on the other side, and then your warriors all get stuck in the doorway together like the Three Stooges and aren’t able to help

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

everyone tells me tyranny takes a big dump on PoE in every way, but its expensive and im still enjoying pillars a lot. its on the list though

I like PoE but yeah Tyranny blows it out of the water. My only complaint is that it’s short by the standards of the genre, like 25 hours, but that’s to facilitate multiple playthroughs. The gameplay is the same but faster-paced and all the writing is way better. I really hope it turns into a series, the setting is so cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s been like 2 years since I last beat it but no I don’t think you continue after beating the game, it just creates a save file right before the point of no return.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

tao of lmao posted:

Is the point of no return Jumping down the pit in Twin Elms?

Yeah. If I remember correctly it gives a really obvious warning asking you to confirm before you go through it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There will be a new save file marked “end game” or something like that from just before jumping in if you want to just reload that

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Tyranny FTW.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I finally got the expansion and Tales from the Tiers during this sale so I’ll probably do another Tyranny run once I finish PoE and the sequel. That game kicks so much rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

she sucks anyway lol, no big loss

It’s cool how you can tell which companions Chris Avellone wrote because they’re the ones that you have to force yourself to read page after page of joyless overwrought purple prose every time you click on them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Love to click on a new character, instantly get hit with 4 paragraphs of text, see that there are three overdone metaphors crammed into the first sentence, and know that I'm about to read some epic motherfucking Avellone win about dead babies or raping whores or whatever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ah, hell. What am I going to do without being able to read 800 pages worth of “Durance grinned, his smile like a bear trap gleaming in a full moon. ‘Oh, it shocks you, it shocks you, to see what’s buried beneath, you stupid motherfucker,’ he says, his voice creaking like the boards of an old trading ship rocking on the stormy waves of the Vailian sea.”

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just beat my rerun of the first game last night but stayed up way too late to do it so I won’t start the sequel until tonight. Question about how the ending of the first game affects the sequel: Does the “gods are fake” thing get brought up a lot? I thought that twist was kinda dumb and the fact that everyone just kind of immediately accepts it as fact even dumber. Like I didn’t even get any special dialogue options for being a priest. The main reason I picked priest was for the dialogue, if the sequel throws all that out I’ll probably change my character to a monk when I import her over, if that’s possible.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t get to play the sequel as much as I wanted to but so far I feel like it’s a big improvement over the original. It looks like they’re making companions a bigger part of the story, they can actually get involved in conversations and really talk to each other instead of having 4 party members shout out unrelated interjections one after the other like the first one. You have a relationship bar with each one that’s increased or decreased based on your actions or dialogue but each companion also has a relationship with each other so I’m excited to see how that plays out. My character, Edér, and the new companion Xoti (the only two companions I have right now) are all Eothas worshippers and both companions like humorous interactions so we’re just like this gang of wisecracking religious fanatics running around blessing people and cracking up at each other’s stupid jokes, which is fun.

Multiclassing is pretty neat too, I went Priest/Monk so I’ve got all the priest abilities and buffs but can also occasionally break out some Hokuto Shin Ken. And when you recruit a new companion you can choose between one of two classes for them to be, or for them to multi class the two. It’s cool that each combination of classes has its own name, too—as a priest/monk the game refers to my character as a “contemplative.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Oh also pistols are finally considered 1-handed weapons. I guess that means you can dual-wield them but my first thought was “does that mean you can have a saber in your right hand and a pistol in your left like a real pirate” and hell yeah you can. That’s my second weapon set for enemies that I’m apprehensive about punching in the face.

• Locked thread