Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Cool tie-ins with the Critical Role folks if you’re into that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

been playing the first pillars, it took some key remapping but im getting adjusted to the combat, i feel like it couldve been handled in a way less awkward way though

cleared the dungeon in the first lovely little town and now im probably about to kill their king, its a good time

Just picked it up over the weekend and my only complaint is it can be awkward positioning casters to not friendly fire their teammates. Other than that, the story is cool, the music is great, the stronghold stuff is cool. It’s really fun and while I’m sad I slept on it for so long, I’ll be able to jump right into the 2nd one after beating this.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

this drake encounter with 30 mobs around it is hosed lmfao. is thee stuff that youre simply not ready for or am i just not playing well, i spam stuns on their healers and flankers and protect everyone from drakebreath but we just get wiped

I took some time leveling up and went back around level 6. If you immediately pull back to the previous room with the blood pool, you can get them bottlenecked in a doorway.

Also, knockdown works on the drake. Eoder was the MVP of that fight.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Also I played for like 7(!) hours last night and barely left the main city. There’s so much fuckin poo poo to do it’s overwhelming

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

:aaaaa:

well ill come back to that later. not sure how i feel about so many abilities being locked behind Rests instead of a mana system or something.

Once you get 3rd level spells and whatnot it will feel a lot less restrictive. It helps that generic attacks with rods and wands are fairly good in their own right. I absolutely hated casting at first but now it feels real good.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I bought the basic version, is the DLC for this (PoE1) endgame or does it pop up earlier and should I get it now

I was given the option to do one of the expansion quests (they make a point to put it in its own quest subfolder) once Caed Nua was up and running, so it may be possible to do when you want, but I’m waiting to finish the main story anyway since they feel fairly separate.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah the rests thing is pretty annoying. I’m playing as a priest, still early-game, and I can only use my tier 1 spells 4 times and my tier 2 twice before I need to either use up a camping supply, run back to an inn, or just fight like a crummy under-equipped warrior.

Being a priest is cool for story reasons, though, I’ve already got a ton of unique dialogue for being an Eothas worshipper just in the first town. None with Eder though so far, which is kind of strange. I hope I can get into theological arguments with the other priest when I meet him

Get rid of the staff and use a wand, rod, or scepter. Gives you ranged attacks without draining spell slots which will let you save those for “oh poo poo” moments when your team needs heals.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah lol my mage has the aoe perk (blast i think its called) and a unique scepter with a charm proc. I rarely cast spells with him anymore except for boss-tier encounters.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Do they have good gear? Never considered killing them but if there’s loot I’m probably gonna start.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There’s an option that is on by default that “maims” your character the first time they hit 0 hp. Presumably after that perma death is an option.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There are a buncha options you can click off to make the game harder and that is one of them. Game is really set up for multiple playthroughs, but I just don’t have the time withe the sequel just sitting there waiting.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It feels like there's ~15 hours of content in the city alone depending how efficient you are clearing out each area.

One thing I hosed up on was not going into every building as soon as possible using the logic of "well I'd never just waltz into a stranger's house" but you definitely should. I had to backtrack all the way to the first lovely town just to wrap up a buncha crap in my journal. Nearing 30 hours of gametime and I just hit the town after the big city. I feel like I'm barely a third into the game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The loading times are strangely long even on SSDs given each screen is a single map and a handful of non-voiced npc's

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

extremebuff posted:

well i still really like poe and plan to finish it but the loading/wait times have gotten really loving old lol

Same. I feel a lot of these problems were solved by the time Tyranny came out, so I’ve no doubt poe2 will be lots of fun.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Which, btw, if you like POE definitely check out Tyranny. It’s so good.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I’m doing a MC pally with the story wizard, druid, cleric, fighter, and custom monk.

The druid slot tends to get rotated for other back-line guys like the chanter or cipher, but the druid ends up with some crazy good spells.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In the early levels I rested because I was low on spell slots, now around levels 10 and 11 where you start fighting full groups with casters and healers, I rest because my hp is low.

Small complaints aside this game owns.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Ive been playing on normal too and aside from oh poo poo moments (wandering into a room full of varied and dangerous mobs) and having to reload and organize a little I haven't had any real challenges. Even the dragon in searing falls wasnt very difficult after my first wipe, I just organized my people a little better

I found that fight rather easy, but the difficulty starts ramping up after that point.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

MC paladin had bailed my team out so many times with clutch lay on hands. The single target dps is real nice too.

Currently experimenting with the monk and giving it the rogue backstab. Hoping to give their dps a little bump.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I had her in the party for a good chunk of time, but once her personal quest finished up, you pretty much get the druid right after. Made it an easy swap. The druid has some of the best AOE in the game.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I think I’m gonna beat the game tonight. It’s feeling real end-gamey unless there’s another act. Is the DLC meant to be done before beating the game? Does it matter? Do you get to continue playing after beating the game?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Is the point of no return Jumping down the pit in Twin Elms?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

If there was one I blew right through it lol.

Oh well reason enough for a second playthrough some time.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Beat the first game Friday night. Pretty much immediately reloaded the end game save and started banging out the leftover quests I had.

It’s funny how a slide show of epilogs can really affect you. “Whoops, shouldn’t have chosen that option. Life sucks for everyone now haha”

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Ah, hell. What am I going to do without being able to read 800 pages worth of “Durance grinned, his smile like a bear trap gleaming in a full moon. ‘Oh, it shocks you, it shocks you, to see what’s buried beneath, you stupid motherfucker,’ he says, his voice creaking like the boards of an old trading ship rocking on the stormy waves of the Vailian sea.”

Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Kinda fell off the first game after beating it. Buncha stuff to do still but hard to find the motivation to just do it. Really looking forward to eventually getting the second one though. Being a god-slaying pirate badass sounds like a good time.

• Locked thread