Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

After getting set decently on my dread community in Trum, I started a fresh community.

Lethal Zone. Desert plateau land. New survivors.

I spent like 10 minutes refreshing the survivors to get a decent set of 5th skills and traits. Medicine, mechanic, and hygiene.

I’m playing cautiously, secure the house, so the first mission of getting materials, it’s awesome. Start building an infirmary. This is SO Scary and fun. I see blood ferals and make sure to give them plenty of space. I scout each area for screamers and take them down with stealth melee.

Okay second mission starts from the radio: a neighboring enclave wants me to get two plague samples. Sounds easy because there is a heart and tons of blood plague zombies nearby.

15 minutes of killing blood plague zombies later and nothing. I finally get a blood sample, pick it up, and a blood feral drops on me. I think from a cliff?

A scary battle ensues as I swipe at its head in melee. Eventually I kill it but I’ve got THE PLAGUE. And holy guacamole I’ve got like 4 minutes before death.

I try sprinting home but don’t even get close to home. Death lol.

So I’m gonna reroll and try lethal and that map again with a new community.

Questions:
  • Is there a safe way to melee blood ferals at this difficulty? Or do I just accept avoiding them until big crossbows or guns?
  • should I bother building an infirmary first? Or should I go with a workshop... My thinking is that if I get plague when my survivor is out on the map then there simply isn’t enough time to get back to the infirmary. At least for the early game. On the other hand, getting a crossbow and bolts asap seems like a great way to increase survivability.
  • What three 5th skills do y’all start with on lethal?
  • Should I bother trying to help the neighboring enclave so early? Or should I just focus on scrounging around my immediate home to get things built up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly the thing about Lethal difficulty is that it's deliberately intended to be bullshit and you probably don't want to jump straight from Dread to Lethal; Nightmare is already a huge step up from Dread and Lethal was patched in later for the people who had gotten used enough to Nightmare to find it too easy (incidentally this is also the case with Nightmare itself, so basically Lethal is "the post-release ultra hard mode for people who thought the previous post-release ultra hard mode wasn't hard enough").

You probably want to build an infirmary first, not to park survivors at while they have the plague, because as you mention, they're gonna die well before you get home, but so you can manufacture plague cures as quickly as possible, because you absolutely need to be carrying (at least) one at all times and when you run out that your priority with that survivor is going to be to get them back home as quickly as possible. A strategy a lot of people like to use is to keep one outpost slot open so you can just run into the nearest cleared building and set it up as an outpost, solely so they can grab items out of the stash (then abandon it to free up the slot again).

Missions you also probably want to ignore until you get established, even stuff that seems like it might be trivial can come with hidden catches (like "go loot this house" having a scripted horde spawning on top of you that you need to fight off). This isn't unique to lethal difficulty, it happens on all of them, but those surprises are a lot more survivable on normal so it's a factor that you probably haven't really had to consider before.

Dealing with blood ferals is going to be a pain even with guns because headshots are no longer the easy instant kill (it still works, but it takes a couple of hits to crack their head plate so it's not longer "snap to head and forget about it"). You probably just want to stay out of their way as much as possible. If you're good at fighting ferals in melee already, blood ferals aren't much different, but your margin for error is a lot smaller on Lethal because of how quickly the plague builds up and how deadly it is once you have it, so you should avoid engaging unless you can pretty reliably kill them without getting hit. Something that's going to catch you by surprise because you skipped over Nightmare is feral packs - they can spawn in groups of 3 on Nightmare and Lethal. This is basically instant death if you get caught off guard by one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: Made this post not seeing there was a new page, oops.

Meagher Valley has some rough spots in the very South, but you start in the East with lots of farmland that is easy to drive through at night. If you make the brewery your final base you can benefit from it for a long time. If you prefer the baseball field in the South however you tend to get used to the road blockages.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 26, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Heavy weapons are good against ferals because you can stun them but I still consider that a last ditch option over ranged.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i;m thinkin about this gaems

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The urgency loop and natural game flow is just so good. You're always nudged to do something helpful or you can go big brain and do something even more helpful or you can galaxy brain and do some dumb bullshit that definitely isn't helpful.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Alright.

Lethal - Drucker County - Fresh Community

Update:
  • Secured an outpost that generates materials.
  • Built a level 1 workshop and level 1 infirmary.
  • Looted 5 or so spots immediately around the homesite.
  • Have not found any ranged weapons yet.
  • Killed a nice amount of screamers.
  • Successfully avoided all ferals so far.
  • Moral is low so everyone is depressed.
  • All three survivors healthy and no plague :)

This game is so freaking fun now that I have a hang of the basics. I found two textbooks on computers so whenever I find an appropriate fourth survivor I can boost their skill up quickly.

Also - hot dang screamers spawn rapidly on lethal.

I’ve got such a hankering for a crossbow! Can’t wait until I find one!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You're going to be heartbroken when an Echo Labs trader arrives and you don't have enough influence saved up to buy one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Almost certainly!

I need to get to another enclave to trade some of my luxury items. Getting a whopping 2 influence for every screamer kill isn’t gonna cut the mustard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh also one other random Lethal tip: If you hear a bloater exploding off in the distance for no reason, that's your cue to GTFO. It means there's a massive horde nearby with several specials including multiple juggernauts and ferals (the reason it happens is because in those hordes the juggernauts will frequently bump into a bloater and set them off).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That’s a great tip, thank you!

Do outposts in this game prevent zombies from spawning in their radius of influence? Googling results in random Reddit threads from a year+ ago.

If so, it seems like the strategy is to gather outposts around your base (and keep an outpost slot open for emergencies).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They do prevent spawns, yes. Once I have enough outpost slots (I think seven is the max, with one of the special soldiers you can hire from the Daybreak mode) I like to have 2-3 dedicated to any resources I need to get positive on, then the rest for looting locations and one for emergencies.

Starting out you don't really need some around your base unless you're spending a lot of time there, which you probably aren't. I don't think zombies spawn or are active once you're far enough away.

That doesn't include the Horde event that fires because of noise; those will activate no matter what but as long as you don't enter your base before the countdown ends, you can skip them at the cost of Ammo. They can be a good source of plague samples though.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Starting out you don't really need some around your base unless you're spending a lot of time there, which you probably aren't. I don't think zombies spawn or are active once you're far enough away.

Huh. That’s interesting. I’ve been getting a bunch of zombies spawning pretty close to my homesite. Including screamers, bloaters, and ferals.

I’d say they are spawning as if there was a boundary at 1.75x the homesite radius.

I don’t feel like I’m spending that much time at the homesite. Basically just dashing in and out to gather supplies and swap survivors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about specials is unlike regular zombies they will stick around after spawning; they only get reset when you actually quit out or load a save. So even brief trips back to base can have specials starting to pile up around it if you aren't killing them, because one might spawn and you just didn't notice it, and it'll still be there when you get back.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Found a crossbow. Did some stealth killing. Still have not found a single blood plague sample.

Best survivor got eaten by 3 ferals lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How much equipment and how skilled should my community be before I start my first plague heart on lethal?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This is hard lol.

I think I need to get a car with spikes on it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Definitely avoid hitting zombies with the front of your car in anything but the easiest difficulties. You can hit like, five zombies on Lethal before your car blows up.

Hitting with the back is fine; side too but that can break doors off.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Press X to door zombie while driving is the height of videogames.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Finally tried out multiplayer after seeing a few posts. Took a couple tries to get someone not suicidal or on ultra nightmare. But it was fun! I was happy to be driven around, dooring zombies and picking up the extra loot. I took a new community I had no attachment to in order to play. (Which was the right call after watching someone drive straight into a juggernaut horde and bail out to fight them)

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Could use some advice here. I started my first SoD2 game ever and I'm now a couple of hours in, just cruising along with the "tutorial" and the basic missions. I'm trying to get someone to become a leader. Should I bother with anything multiplayer-related at this point, or stick to single player for now until I'm more experienced?

Also, people advised me on cranking up some of the difficulty sliders which would make the experience more fun. Should I do that? Specifically around the map difficulty, putting it all the way to the max.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Could use some advice here. I started my first SoD2 game ever and I'm now a couple of hours in, just cruising along with the "tutorial" and the basic missions. I'm trying to get someone to become a leader. Should I bother with anything multiplayer-related at this point, or stick to single player for now until I'm more experienced?

Also, people advised me on cranking up some of the difficulty sliders which would make the experience more fun. Should I do that? Specifically around the map difficulty, putting it all the way to the max.

You definitely do not want to max out the difficulty settings on your first go through - I would say Dread is as high as you might want to go for a run that's going to be challenging but still fair - Nightmare and Lethal aren't intended to just be "hard" but are specifically tuned for experienced players of the game who are going to be importing maxed out survivors from previous successful runs.

As for multiplayer, it's up to you - the way the multiplayer works is basically drop in co-op sessions, so you kind of just pop in to help someone else develop their base, or you have other people pop in to help develop yours. There's no persistent shared worlds akin to survival sandbox games, it's all individual single-player sessions saved locally.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You definitely do not want to max out the difficulty settings on your first go through - I would say Dread is as high as you might want to go for a run that's going to be challenging but still fair - Nightmare and Lethal aren't intended to just be "hard" but are specifically tuned for experienced players of the game who are going to be importing maxed out survivors from previous successful runs.

As for multiplayer, it's up to you - the way the multiplayer works is basically drop in co-op sessions, so you kind of just pop in to help someone else develop their base, or you have other people pop in to help develop yours. There's no persistent shared worlds akin to survival sandbox games, it's all individual single-player sessions saved locally.

Makes sense, thank you. Does it benefit me as a player to join someone's coop sessions at all besides the social aspect? As in, do I get to level up or carry any gear back from it, or any resources?

Also, how do I expedite dropping stuff off at the base? Can I quickly switch characters? Can I tell my follower to go unload everything instead of taking over control?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Makes sense, thank you. Does it benefit me as a player to join someone's coop sessions at all besides the social aspect? As in, do I get to level up or carry any gear back from it, or any resources?

Also, how do I expedite dropping stuff off at the base? Can I quickly switch characters? Can I tell my follower to go unload everything instead of taking over control?

You do gain XP (as far as I know) and you keep any items you find or that the other player gives you, including resources.

The fastest way to unload is to park your car in a parking spot then open the trunk. There's a hotkey to deposit whatever stack is highlighted; if you brought a follower with you, you can access their inventory by talking to them, or just switching at base/any outpost.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The fastest way to unload is to park your car in a parking spot then open the trunk. There's a hotkey to deposit whatever stack is highlighted;

Is that in the base game, i thought it was a mod?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Is that in the base game, i thought it was a mod?

There sure is, it's great. Might've been added in a patch, or was just an upgrade from the first game. I think it's X on PC, works on resource bags and items, even the ones in your inventory.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I watched a couple Brian Menard videos on YouTube to get started with harder options.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Geburan posted:

I watched a couple Brian Menard videos on YouTube to get started with harder options.

Oh you'll be fine for Dread then. It'll apply enough pressure that some of Brian's heuristic makes sense.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

How do I make my followers not open doors in the base when there's a horde of zombies outside? They keep opening every door and letting them in.. can't they keep them outside and just shoot them?

Is dropping off followers who need health, sleep or plague cure enough directly at the base enough for them to be smart enough to know what to do to recover, or do I have to micro-manage them and put them in bed manually, give them the right medicine and so on?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
No they are pretty dumb about base defense, all you can really do is find the bases that have fewer points of entry. Building defensive structures will also make them stand up there and shoot the zombies rather than trying to melee, but only a couple people can use them at once so you can't ever make everyone do that.

You don't even have to drop them off - switching to another survivor will make whoever you were playing automatically find their way back home and recover. The only exception is if they are infected with the plague (not just buildup) - they won't cure themselves, you need to either take control of them and have them use a plague cure, or as another survivor, assign them to the medbay to halt the timer on the plague until you can manufacture a cure for them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can park cars in front of gates on most of the bases. They'll still climb the climbable walls if you can't get those, and juggernauts will move the cars just by brushing against them.

It's a little cheesy but fine while you're still newer.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Ok so I finished one campaign on normal settings by killing all of the plague hearts. What do people recommend I do now? I can do the legacy missions. I could move to a different map. Any suggestions?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Assuming you have it, the Heartland DLC is fun for a playthrough. Otherwise, new map with maybe an increase in difficulty is your best bet.

I like to keep a save file around on the lowest difficulty to work on new Bounties when they're released, too. I think you don't have to collect them on the save you complete them? Good for giving yourself just a little boost on a new save.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Geburan posted:

Thank you for pointing out this resource.

I was having fun with the dread difficulty. Then I started a new game on lethal and it’s not fun. Blood ferals with helmets are just so savage early game lol

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't forget, you can use a custom difficulty. Gives several options you can set to their own difficulty separate from the other options.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Today's update finally gave us two more save slots. You can also keep playing a community after finishing the leader quests, and pay 1200 influence to recruit characters from your legacy pool.

https://support.stateofdecay.com/hc/en-us/articles/8464902912525-Update-30-Forever-Communities-

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They should make it so you can bring your community to a new area after finishing but the difficulty ramps up each time you enter a new map.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did the achievement for claiming three landmarks. I used three different new saves, and even had one of them already done on my current save. Achievement didn't pop. This and the one to get all the Trumbull Valley story things in not-Heartland mode are all I have left and I'm sure not gonna bother going through to finish that one just for it not to pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Got this game during a great sale, it's pretty drat fun. got a couple games on dread, one in providence ridge and the other in drucker county. I got the worst odds with a curveball though, it spawned a black plague heart that is weak to melee, and the zombies in its radius are faster and stronger, and the miasma does damage and destroys fuel.
It's unbelievably difficult compared to a regular one, i've made multiple pilgrimages to it, there's a bunch of vehicles just out of the radius from characters not making it back. I've attacked it probably a dozen times, i've heard they don't heal in any way but i swear it should be dead by now. i tried to use a drone strike but i must have put the smoke a bit too far away from the wall of the house.
i guess what i'm saying is we're definitely sure they don't heal, even when you quit the game and come back later or?
the game is definitely fun, i'm just trying to bring this providence ridge game to conclusion so that i can use the builder legacy to start another map.