Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Release Date: May 22, 2018
Platform: PC & Xbox One
Publisher: Microsoft
Developer: Undead Labs
Genre: A third person shooter Single-Player/Co-Op

The Pitch
State of Decay 2 is a third-person single-player/co-op action survival game that takes place in a zombie infested post-apocalyptic open world that might as well be ripped straight out of one George Romero’s films. Players must use everything at their disposal to sneak around or fight off huge hordes of decaying zombies as you hunt down dwindling resources and other survivors to help a build base and hopefully a last community.

Why You Should Care
A big appeal of this series is its approach to dynamic events and situations that can have a huge domino effects that unfolds in unpredictable ways as you play the game, the ability to play as any of the randomly generated survivors you’ve gathered who each have their own unique combo of personalities, hang-ups, and talents who can be just as much of a hindrance as they can be boon, a massive arsenal of hundreds of melee weapons and firearms that range from something mundane like a broken table leg to obscure XM8 Assault Rifle, and a finely crafted open world filled to the brim with horror movie references, easter eggs, and deadly vehicles.

What the Sequel Brings
Let’s get down to brass tacks, this really isn’t a sequel to State of Decay and more of a reimagining of what they originally wanted to do with SoD1, but couldn’t due to the fact it was an Xbox Arcade game with very strict size limits on hard drive space and extremely restricted online functions. So think of this as less of SoD2 and more along the lines of SoD1 2.0, which is directly reflected in the price of game at $30 instead of the usually 50 or 60 bucks games normally are.

You can expect lot of changes and improvement the game that include, but not limit to:
-A refined HUD and interaction system that isn’t as cluttered and cramped as the original.
-Revamped the inventory system, now every character gets two item slots and three dedicated weapon slots that includes a slot for firearms, a main weapon (think machetes and sledge hammers), and a back-up weapon (stuff like pocket knives and screw-drivers), freeing up room in your backpack to carry more loot and weapons.
-A stronger emphasis on modifying and upgrading everything, such being able to put scopes or extended magazines on some guns, armoring up some vehicles with armored plating or sacrificing seating capacity for larger fuel tanks, and even making side-grades for various building plots.
-New freaks in the form of Blood Plague zombies, highly infectious zombies that bleed blood from every pore on their body that can easily contaminate you every time they touch you.
-Hostile humans, throwing a monkey wrench in the old enclave recruitment system, not all of your neighbors want to meet you, some can’t be trusted, some might betray you, and some groups might even actively hunt you down or set traps for you.
-Not just one map like in the original had, but three! Each much larger than what SoD1 had to offer and each containing their own set of mutators, which randomize some aspects of the map.
-Co-op, they finally implemented it! Now three friends can join your game to watch your back, and earn rewards for helping you.
-A new character generation system, with a much larger pool of character traits, clothing, textures, voices, and faces to help ensure no two characters are alike.
-Revamped skill system, the developers decided to take some ques from PC modding community in that they made shooting and fighting separate upgradable skill sets, on top of getting rid of weapon specialization and replacing them with roles, which give bonuses for playing a certain way.

Joining Other Goons
To play with other goons, you must first start and finish the tutorial, then after that, join the Discord channel provided below. From there join LFG and organize yourselves into whatever 4-player teams you want. Remember however, when playing in someone else's world your using your own characters and items and CAN lose them.

DISCORD CHANNEL No longer in use.

Guides & Helpful Information
Currently there are no helpful guides at this time, however the basic gameplay element of SoD2 aren’t all that different from SoD1, which in turn makes most the old SoD1 guides retro-actively useful. For the time being check out the old SoD1 thread for some useful info, in this link.

Q&A
What'cha bring back for me?
Oh, you know, stuff.

I heard I could play this game for free, is that true?
Yes! The game is free for Xbox Gamepass users, and currently you can sign to Gamepass for a 30 day trial.

Can I make my own character?
Nope, you can only pick from a handful of pre-define characters at the beginning of the game, then find randomly generated survivors that you can play as.

Is there PvP?
Unfortunately no, this is only a PvE game at the moment, but one of the devs has hint at having something being more PvP orientated down the line post release.

Is there friendly fire?
Yes and no, against NPCs there is, against players the worst you can do is maybe lead zombies to them.

Is offline progression still a thing?
Thankfully no, Undead Labs axed that feature for the Steam release and it’s not coming back.

If I’m playing on PC do I need an Xbox Gamepass?
No, you aren’t required to subscribe to Xbox Gamepass to play the game, however the game is run through Microsoft terrible Xbox app.

Is there crossplay between Xbox and PC players?
Yes.

Is this game coming out on Steam?
Maybe, SoD1 was previously an Xbox Arcade exclusive, but Undead Labs eventually released the game on Steam. The lead developer is also currently being very weird and vague, he will actively avoid answering the question and yet he constantly quote people who ask him this question on various media. Yes.

Will this come out on PS4 Eventually?
Hahaha, nope. While Undead Labs owns the rights to SoD, they still maintain a very healthy relationship with their current publisher, Microsoft. Barring some unexpected bad PR between the two, it will remain an Xbox & PC exclusive indefinitely.

Video
Announcement Trailer
E3 2017 Gameplay Trailer
GameRiot Plays the Beginning of the Game Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
Gamespot Co-op
Gamespot Random Gameplay
Live Action Promotional Nurse Coach

Screenshots

Relevant Links
SoD1 Thread
FAQ
Dev Blog

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Reserved for future use

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
How much is the xbox app going to make me regret getting this game?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Yesssssss. I loving can't wait. The first one was the zombie survival game I always wanted.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is it worth buying and playing 1 on PC or just wait for 2?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Refind Chaos posted:

How much is the xbox app going to make me regret getting this game?

It's a cruel reminder why the metro system is utter garbage.

Flaggy posted:

SoD1 a bit dated but is still worth a purchase in my opinion and it regularly goes on sale.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 7, 2018

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Flaggy posted:

Not that it means anything, but I still play State of Decay from time to time and have fun, but if you're unsure you could get the State of Decay 2 deluxe package or whatever they call it because it comes with the original.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A few days ago The Know sat down with a dev and played the game for over an hour, nothing really stellar in it, just a dev going over the very basics of what makes up SoD while playing SoD2. But gameplay is gameplay I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-paWtkZ1cjc

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Back Hack posted:

Is there PvP?
Unfortunately no, this is only a PvE game at the moment, but one of the devs has hint at having something being more PvP orientated down the line post release.

Just be careful if you're purchasing this game based on content that the dev hints at possibly adding in the future. For a while they hinted at adding multiplayer to the first and then decided they weren't months later.

I'll probably get this, hope it's a lot of fun.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Just be careful if you're purchasing this game based on content that the dev hints at possibly adding in the future. For a while they hinted at adding multiplayer to the first and then decided they weren't months later.

They've always been honest about wanting to have multiplayer but couldn't based on the limitations of the platform they originally released it on (Xbox Live Arcade). Now what they have said in the past, is if and when they make a sequel they'll definitely add co-op, and here we are. Now I'm not saying you wrong, you should take what they say about future development with a grain of salt, like you should do with ALL developers, but so far Undead Labs has been pretty upfront about what they can/want/will put in their games.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Spacebump posted:

I'm sure the sequel will be everything we could've hoped for!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is this game going to be sold as a closed game you can't mod and Windows 10 only?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is this game going to be sold as a closed game you can't mod and Windows 10 only?

What does your heart tell you?

That said, I'm gonna use the free trial of the MS Gamepass dealie to try this out (that's still going on right?) I loved the first game and this looks like more of the same with a better UI and graphics plus co-op, although the co-op integration looks lacking, sadly. I assume I'm going to like this enough to put down $30 to play it more but the Windows Store thing is worth being at least a little cautious.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Was there ever any confirmation of a mode similar to Breakdown? I had some fun with the original SoD but it got boring real quick once you beat the story mode.

I can't find much with a quick google search since the terms just confuse old articles with new ones that have no real information in them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Yar The Pirate posted:

Was there ever any confirmation of a mode similar to Breakdown? I had some fun with the original SoD but it got boring real quick once you beat the story mode.

I can't find much with a quick google search since the terms just confuse old articles with new ones that have no real information in them.

I don’t think Breakdown is making a return, if it was currently in the game I feel like one of the devs would have mentioned it by now. It’s possible DLC for it will come out for it down the line but it’s hard to say for sure, Undead Lab have been very tight lipped about future development outside a couple of comments.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

It took me a while to beat SoD1's story mode cause i'm anal and had to start over when i got Marcus killed. I hope he, and Sam "Ask me about my HUGE DICK" Hoffman make a appearance in 2 she's cool. even if they're just cameos in the non-canon horde mode whatever

Hopefully they remove the bs mechanic where your supplies would decay (no pun intended) while the game was switched off.

btw OP please add What'cha bring back for me? "Oh, y'know. Stuff." to the first post's Q&A section, thanks

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hopefully they remove the bs mechanic where your supplies would decay (no pun intended) while the game was switched off.

Offline game progress is dead and gone forever.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I loved SOD1 (although I only had the regular release and DLC not the reworking), so I'm pumped for SOD2 being quite similar. SOD had a real nice sense of progression to it, along with a pretty cool map, so hopefully this turns out well.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm getting triggered so bad watching these videos of people who get to play the game early who never empty their backpacks at their base, constantly go around to looting containers above all other activities, and yet are never able to pick up anything because their backpack is still full! Over and over and over and over and over and...

Drop something already you fucks. :shepicide:

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Back Hack posted:

I don’t think Breakdown is making a return, if it was currently in the game I feel like one of the devs would have mentioned it by now. It’s possible DLC for it will come out for it down the line but it’s hard to say for sure, Undead Lab have been very tight lipped about future development outside a couple of comments.

Well that's a bummer. A feature like that would have made it a day 1 buy for me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is this game going to get banned in Australia for arbitrary stupid reasons again? :v:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Neither are banned here in Australia. EB games is even promoting 2 pretty heavily in store

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I thoroughly enjoyed the first one back in the day and SOD2 will be the first time I've used my XBONE since Witcher 3.

I am having a bit of difficulty getting a straight answer to a query that I have and hope someone here is able to help clear it up for me?

With this whole 'Play Anywhere' Microsoft thing wherein if you get the game on Xbox then you own it on PC too..... can I CO-OP play with my husband?
And by that I mean him playing on his PC and me playing on the XBONE with only having purchased the game once, or do they insist upon two purchases and two microsoft accounts logged in for that?

If the latter then it's such a short-sighted view; forcing people to buy two copies in order to enjoy same household CO-OP probably limits the number of overall sales you could achieve if you were less of a restrictive douche about it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

Drop something already you fucks. :shepicide:

But I might need it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am excited for this game and plan to buy a copy for one of my friends so we can co-op.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I despise post process AA

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Back Hack posted:

I don’t think Breakdown is making a return, if it was currently in the game I feel like one of the devs would have mentioned it by now.

I thought a "survival" mode would have just been a given seeing as that's what most people wanted from the first game in the first place.

Story is nice and all, but man that Roguelike survival grind was where it was it. I want to lose a maxed out Henry Pimms at a Breakdown level where the map is nothing but ferals.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I pre-ordered this months ago and just got an e-mail saying it was ready to go today. I'm stuck in work for another 7 hours, but just a heads up!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Drunken Baker posted:

I pre-ordered this months ago and just got an e-mail saying it was ready to go today. I'm stuck in work for another 7 hours, but just a heads up!

It's the pre-load

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

First game kicked rear end even with all the jank, been looking forward to this.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Shoehead posted:

It's the pre-load

Aw poo poo, really? I recall the store page saying pre-orders would get to play early but forgot the actual date. Figured this was it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Drunken Baker posted:

Aw poo poo, really? I recall the store page saying pre-orders would get to play early but forgot the actual date. Figured this was it.

The early play starts next friday, no idea what time of the day though but I'm looking forward to it

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Yar The Pirate posted:

Well that's a bummer. A feature like that would have made it a day 1 buy for me.

I did a little more looking, Breakdown isn't going to be in the game initially; however, it looks like its making a return in future expansion pack called Daybreak.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That's so bonkers to me. I think I might have held off if I'd have known that...

I mean, don't get me wrong. I loved State of Decay when it first dropped anyway, but it always felt like a door whose latch never clicked fully until Breakdown.

Saying that, but I'm judging a game I've not played yet. Roll on next Friday either way.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
thank you game pass trial

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Depressing new live-action promotional material from Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ16F99Xdi4

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welp, I put down the cash for the pre-order. Fully on the hype train.

Havent gotten my code for YOSE. Just went back into my old 8 month old Vanilla breakdown map, I was surprised it turned out to be a utopia with all materials (except construction) were overflowing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

Depressing new live-action promotional material from Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ16F99Xdi4

Knew that end was coming but still drat

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

Knew that end was coming but still drat

The other video is from the perspective of the rival enclave for double the depression. They're both surprisingly well made.

I had forgotten this was coming out so it's a nice surprise I only have to wait a couple weeks. I had a lot of fun with the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress do they do the whole they are both fairly good people thing? Sad days