Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Really wish the PC version didn't have a three save file limit. I can probably use the community editor to move them but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know this game has had a lot of changes and updates since it launched, so when looking for info, how far back can I go before I'm getting bad information?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say August 2021 was the last update with big changes to some of the game's systems, when they changed how plague hearts and outposts work: https://www.stateofdecay.com/update-25-plague-territory/

I was the main contributor of the tips for the game on Before I Play, but both tips about outposts are made a bit outdated by that update: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=State_of_Decay_2

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 17, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a drat shame that this game only has pop in multiplayer. I keep having friends that want to play but the lack of being able to have a shared game just kills everyones interest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty good recruitment from my first ally group.

Edit: He also provides +1 food, what a Chad.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 18, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pretty good recruitment from my first ally group.

Edit: He also provides +1 food, what a Chad.

Methadone Stallone

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

veni veni veni posted:

It's a drat shame that this game only has pop in multiplayer. I keep having friends that want to play but the lack of being able to have a shared game just kills everyones interest.

Me and two of my friends played this weekly for a few months just alternating hosts. Was a great way to experience the game since we all chose different maps.

I thought I wouldn't like how they set it up either but we found it to not really be an issue. Even if you aren't that host, you're getting loot and experience for your survivors plus the bonus rewards.

I'd give it a try, just with the idea in mind that it's trivial to hop between worlds.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I get it from both sides. It's still enjoyable as a social game where you and three other dorks bash zombies while bullshitting. It's just not as enjoyable as a progression thing.

It's cool to be able to help out a buddy and come back with a bunch of rewards. If you just started a game and play together a lot you'll wind up effectively starting with a bunch of resources and good, high-end mods. The base management part of the game is so small and gathering-driven that the base you're gathering for doesn't really matter. All the gameplay is in the moments between home visits and aside from a minor annoyance of having to twiddle your thumbs while the host manages it the experience doesn't change a lot.

The flip side is that your personal progression is stunted when not hosting, so if you're picking up a game purely to play it together things get lopsided. You wind up in a situation where the non-host needs to play more to keep their consumables up in order to keep the game going along at a good clip in the main host's game. You can solve that by jumping back and forth, but then it just feels like doing everything twice. If you've got four people playing together then it'll feel like the game is progressing backwards as you constantly time loop back to having a smaller base, establishing outposts, upgrading to the next base, etc.

Dumb wish list thing when/if SoD3 will ever happen: I don't want it to have Fallout 4-style freeform bases. Instead I'd like to see houses/barns/etc allowed as cookie-cutter bases with generic installable upgrades that template in. It ruins having unique base features, which are cool, but it means your settlements are all on the same map. Same location? Just shift the non-host to another house/barn/etc with the same template. Now there's a reason to feed all your bases and you get the multiplayer aspect of having different high-end upgrade paths at each player's base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I got about 80 hours in and this is a nifty little zombie apocalypse sandbox. I've settled on Dread difficulty, and it does seem like that's where the game is tuned for. I completed a normal run just to get one done and it was a breeze, Dread you actually have to be careful. This game really punishes recklessness or a lack of planning (though that can lead to some interesting emergent gameplay, like having to hoof it across half the map with just a sliver of non-injury health available because after you barely killed a plague heart because you didn't bring enough poo poo with and then you flipped your utility truck so as to be ununstickable and you're almost home but oh no it's a feral and can I make it back while shotgunning stamina snacks and limp running???)

Anyway I'm enjoying it, and will probably play it through a couple of more times at least.

One question: how much should I be managing infestations? My current game is on cascade hills and I've got the whole map east of the river cleared out, but there are all these infestations on the very west side of the map deep in plague territory. I'm happy to ignore them for now if it's only a max -15 morale penalty but are there other problems infestations on the other side of the map create?

E; two questions actually - I know that plague hearts have an brief explosion immunity period after getting bombed. Does anyone know exactly how long that lasts and if it also includes fire damage immunity?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 26, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'd like to play with goons on this sometime. Did we ever get a new discord channel or do we just grab the co-op goons channel? (That I also have lost the link to)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

zoux posted:

Well I got about 80 hours in and this is a nifty little zombie apocalypse sandbox. I've settled on Dread difficulty, and it does seem like that's where the game is tuned for. I completed a normal run just to get one done and it was a breeze, Dread you actually have to be careful. This game really punishes recklessness or a lack of planning (though that can lead to some interesting emergent gameplay, like having to hoof it across half the map with just a sliver of non-injury health available because after you barely killed a plague heart because you didn't bring enough poo poo with and then you flipped your utility truck so as to be ununstickable and you're almost home but oh no it's a feral and can I make it back while shotgunning stamina snacks and limp running???)

Anyway I'm enjoying it, and will probably play it through a couple of more times at least.

One question: how much should I be managing infestations? My current game is on cascade hills and I've got the whole map east of the river cleared out, but there are all these infestations on the very west side of the map deep in plague territory. I'm happy to ignore them for now if it's only a max -15 morale penalty but are there other problems infestations on the other side of the map create?

E; two questions actually - I know that plague hearts have an brief explosion immunity period after getting bombed. Does anyone know exactly how long that lasts and if it also includes fire damage immunity?

Various levels of infestation cause morale penalties for your community. If you have low morale, cleaning up infestations can help. If your morale is sky high you can effectively just ignore them. I don't recall what the max penalty is (-15 at normal maybe?).

I'm not sure on the immunity period. I typically take them out with pipe bombs with maybe a 2 second gap between throwing each one.

Not sure what you meant by your truck being ununstickable. Does that mean the 'stuck' radio command didn't work? I regularly use that with zombies hanging off my car door since my vehicle only ever seems to get stuck next to a horde.

e: I guess an update is coming that will totally revamp infestations so that should be interesting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means that I wedged it upside down between a rock and bus. I couldn't get in to use the stuck command on it, and I couldn't flip it. I tried it standing right next to it but it didn't do it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if plague hearts actually have an immunity period, it's just that they can't take damage from multiple sources in a single frame. So if you have a bunch of remote bombs around and set them off, it'll register one of the explosions, and then the others won't do anything. Likewise if there's a fire burning on it, throwing more molotovs at it won't do anything because only one fire can hit it at a time. I'm not sure what happens if you throw a molotov followed by a grenade, I think the explosion damage will take priority over the fire for the frame it registers but I'm not 100% on that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zoux posted:

It means that I wedged it upside down between a rock and bus. I couldn't get in to use the stuck command on it, and I couldn't flip it. I tried it standing right next to it but it didn't do it.

Did it automatically pull you out of the vehicle? If not, you can hold left or right to slowly turn the car over. If it did knock you out, your best bet is getting another car and ramming it until you can get back in. If that's not an option, then RIP to that car.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I went to take a screenshot to show you guys but it's no longer there. However, the exact same car is now spawned right side up about 100m away. Does the game despawn upside down cars and put them right side up somewhere or is that just coincidence? Either way, got my utility truck back.

As far as utility trucks go, does the plow take durability damage

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

zoux posted:

Well I went to take a screenshot to show you guys but it's no longer there. However, the exact same car is now spawned right side up about 100m away. Does the game despawn upside down cars and put them right side up somewhere or is that just coincidence? Either way, got my utility truck back.

As far as utility trucks go, does the plow take durability damage

I've noticed it fixing weird situations with vehicles like that as well, but I don't know what the actual logic is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've noticed it fixing weird situations with vehicles like that as well, but I don't know what the actual logic is.

It's probably a thing where when the game saves the location of vehicles, it doesn't actually save their exact coordinates in the world, just the general area they're in, and then respawns them there when you get close enough after loading the save. So if you left a car on the street you wouldn't really notice the difference but if it was wedged in some weird spot it's just not there anymore.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm not sure if plague hearts actually have an immunity period, it's just that they can't take damage from multiple sources in a single frame. So if you have a bunch of remote bombs around and set them off, it'll register one of the explosions, and then the others won't do anything. Likewise if there's a fire burning on it, throwing more molotovs at it won't do anything because only one fire can hit it at a time. I'm not sure what happens if you throw a molotov followed by a grenade, I think the explosion damage will take priority over the fire for the frame it registers but I'm not 100% on that.

It's even more finicky than this - explosive damage doesn't overlap. If you think of explosive radius as a venn diagram, everything in the overlapping part of the cirlces only takes damage once. BUT if you have the c4 spaced perfectly so it doesn't overlap then you can completely destroy a plague heart with one press of the detonator. Thrown explosives get weirder because they will chain detonate if they are in a radius, and the overlaps once again don't deal multiple instances of damage in the overlap. Explosive damage/fire damage is weird with how it registers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So if I throw, say, three grenades one after the other, as fast as I can, all three should register?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

zoux posted:

So if I throw, say, three grenades one after the other, as fast as I can, all three should register?

If they are all in the blast radius they will go off at once and only register the damage of one grenade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, just to check, in order to unlock Red Talon stuff I have to beat a bunch of Daybreak and then to keep buying it with currency that I only get from doing a bunch more Daybreak? This includes RT operators?

Also, is Heartland worth doing?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You're going to have to play a shitload of Daybreak to unlock everything. Soloing it is not as easy as some guides make it sound and with MP you have to join near the start for it to count as clearing all 7 waves. Beginning with is especially rough, because you'll have to play for a while before you even unlock a proper weapon that uses the CLEO rounds you keep finding.

Note that if you want a Red Talon contractor you can also play the Trumbull Valley map. Take the base in the North (Red Talon FOB) and repair the facilities, eventually you'll get a mission that allows you to recruit one of them. Don't rely on that if you want the achievement for having recruited 4 of them (total, it doesn't have to in a single map).

I liked Heartland, but I imagine it's harder to tolerate if you've already played that Trumbull Valley map once or even several times. Also, how good are you about dealing with ferals? Those blood plague ferals can be pretty drat brutal and they won't go down in a single shot. Difficulty wise the whole thing felt like somewhere in between Dread and Nightmare Zone to me.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 2, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Heartland was fine if a little short.

If you're on PC no one will care if you use the Community Editor to unlock all the Daybreak stuff and give yourself max currency. The mode is fine but gets very boring very quickly.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I'd 1000% recommend using the community editor to just unlock all the Daybreak stuff/currency. If you manage to beat an entire run you only advance the unlocks by a total of 3 and it feels like there are a million of them.

Heartland was neat once, but was a bit more constant pressure than I enjoyed myself. The blood ferals' helmets really sucked when you are relying on random guns.

Edit: Is there a good breakdown of the Cleo guns anywhere? Most of them are so heavy I just never bothered with getting them from the prestige trader.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 2, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Heartland was fine if a little short.

If you're on PC no one will care if you use the Community Editor to unlock all the Daybreak stuff and give yourself max currency. The mode is fine but gets very boring very quickly.

I guess my question would be if the RT stuff adds much more to the game besides op weapons and recruits

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zoux posted:

I guess my question would be if the RT stuff adds much more to the game besides op weapons and recruits

It also adds OP base buildings!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It also adds OP base buildings!

:hmmyes:

Well I got the editor, now to use my iron gaming discipline to never resurrect a favorite character or create Captain America

I also got the one that makes night five minutes long because there is too much night and it doesn’t change anything except making it harder to see

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

zoux posted:

:hmmyes:

Well I got the editor, now to use my iron gaming discipline to never resurrect a favorite character or create Captain America

I also got the one that makes night five minutes long because there is too much night and it doesn’t change anything except making it harder to see

I sometimes use the editor to avoid losing a good character if they were killed by jank, like my car shooting into the sky from a tiny bump or the movement jumping off a cliff instead of just going forward.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

zoux posted:

they have special versions of the buildings. Their lounge and bedroom are good, their engineering depot is really good, their watchtower is just significantly better than the other options.

The cleo drop, OTOH, is kinda pointless.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Trying the free weekend, I enjoyed the first one quite a lot but I hate the maps in both games, there's just too much poo poo in the way to make driving fun and the movement is too janky (ie around rocks and elevation) to make on foot traversal fun either.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah, driving seldom feels as fun as it should. Maybe it will feel better when I have the tougher more upgraded cars.

What level of equipment and how much equipment (especially stuff like bullets/bolts/explosives) do y'all bring to kill plague hearts? I'm on dread and killing the hearts takes forever with my basic starting gear.

The game is definitely getting more fun now that I have some amount of silenced guns and a decent amount of bolts for the crossbow. I still run into frustration with trying to stealth clear plague houses. I don't know if it's bad luck, or the Trumbull map, or just how the game is supposed to be... but I'll often run into plague homes where all the screamers are inside the house, near other zombies.... so it's just like, I guess I'm going to have to Rambo it?

I think in general I need to adapt my gameplay and mindset to be more tolerant of just Rambo'ing it. I try and be stealthy and avoid big fights too much. I'm on dread difficulty and it's my first play through.

I like this game though :) Especially when I learned that you can issue facility commands from the base screen - remotely. You don't have to actually be at the base lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You could throw some firecrackers or deploy a boom box outside (from stealth, in Dread difficulty zombos won't break aggro on you if you throw distractions around while they're already aware of you) to pull them out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple stacks of fireworks (thrown don't last as long but you're not as vulnerable) and a couple stacks of Molotovs or their upgraded versions. Lure everything within range to one location and light them all on fire.

You can turn also use the fire and whatever other explosives you have on the plague heart. Even better, any plague zombies the heart spawns or that wander over get gibbed when it dies.

This does not apply on the hardest difficulty because killing the heart will not kill the plague zombies.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hearts are interesting because it's like the first thing in the game that requires something. Home base stuff doesn't require anything. Looting doesn't require anything, the first round of personal missions can mostly be done at 0 cost.

But a plague heart, always used something. First one especially, you can just cheese some with noisemakers fine on normal and dread (if ur good). But the first one with blood ferals you need a gun or a buddy or something, anything.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lol ferals wrecked me at the start when all I had was a crossbow and a melee weapon.

Until I earned the “snap to headshot” from shooting and a silenced gun, a feral basically meant “retreat and don’t get to go in this area”.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just gotta conquer your fear. They will generally run straight at you. Dodge through them, slam the camera around to look at them while running away, and pop their heads.

Unless there's more than one or they have the blood plague head armor, in which case you run away.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can cheese ferals with cars as well. It takes a bit of practice but if you line it up right and go slower than you think you need to, they have a habit of dodging in to the car instead of away from it. Or you can just catch them by swiping against a wall where they don't have room to dodge away from you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can cheese ferals with cars as well. It takes a bit of practice but if you line it up right and go slower than you think you need to, they have a habit of dodging in to the car instead of away from it. Or you can just catch them by swiping against a wall where they don't have room to dodge away from you.

You can also line up the back of the car to the them and they'll probably jump on. You can gently back into something and blow them up. You can do it from the front too but you don't want a feral attacking your engine.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lol the game is so different now that I have outposts which generate resources.

QUESTIONS
  • What map is the easiest to drive around?
  • What map do you think is most fun to run around and explore?
  • What map is your overall favorite?

Trumbull valley isn’t as fun to drive around as I would have assumed… the giant field in the middle seems like it would make it easy to cut across the map. Yet driving at night in the field and I’ll hit a tiny bump and the car will take a bunch of damage. And all the broken bridges are a pain in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Cascade and Meagher are the two easiest maps to drive around in, I think. There are still roadblocks, rocks in fields, and other forced slow-down obstacles, but the river that runs north-south through Meagher is a great mini-highway to cut across the map quickly. I think the newest map (Providence Ridge) is the most fun to explore because I don't know it all yet, and Trumbull is cool because I played the first game and it's neat to "go back." I don't think I have a favorite map. The only map I really don't like is Drucker because it used to be such a pain in the rear end to get anywhere on that map, but there was an update a while back that smoothed it out and it's not nearly as bad now as it was. I still remember, though, and I usually pick something other than Drucker.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 25, 2022