Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Former DILF posted:

smh at the people peddling these disgusting lies

turkey has never existed and there is no credible evidence to support this wild fantasy land notion, the myth of turkey is a centuries old psyop by the knights templar in coordination with freemasonry and the bavarian/austrian illuminati

Wtf... I eat turkey every day bro...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Good video.

A lot of fart huffers pretending to know everything and anything about it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So was the guy who directed the video the brains or did Troy think of everything?

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

first time I've heard of this guy and gave a it a listen. I guess this is what passes as popular and thought provoking now.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So was the guy who directed the video the brains or did Troy think of everything?

Abed usually does the directing, IIRC.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The whole video takes place in the dreamatorium.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The whole video takes place in the dreamatorium.

lol

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mnoba posted:

it is cringy, and probably responsible for trump support amongst black people going up in multiple polls
you and another guy took an isolated blog post from, well a blog magazine and used it as a platform to rant about how cringey black people's actions are and how it's affecting consequence.

I would say your poo poo eating children will be embarrassed by your mental density one day but the sad truth is probably they'll believe the same backwards wacky rear end delusions

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
he should have made redbone 2 instead

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
https://youtu.be/YUWq_aBiE_s

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

polio king posted:

first time I've heard of this guy and gave a it a listen. I guess this is what passes as popular and thought provoking now.

It really doesn't work alone as a song that well. You have to watch the video. It's much better that way.

I also think, after a certain age, that these sorts of things just don't resonate that much, so maybe you're just old. I know I am.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lol all music is so formulaic that it syncs perfectly.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah like down to the loving t. Its hilarious

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

So soft it rests perfectly between that ukelele cover of "Over the Rainbow" and "Bubble Toes" on any playlist.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

this is great

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

McGiggins posted:

Like im not being a racist oval office,im serious posting, i dont get it, and id like to get it.
I don't think there's anything specifically about race in the video, other than the fact that racism is obviously inherent in America. That being said, I think some people end up confused because the video's 'main character's' actions are pretty revolting so a natural emotional response to the video would be some kind of negative emotion.

The "dancing being distracting" thing is kind of a distraction in itself because then people start saying "PAY ATTENTION TO THE BACKGROUND" which then becomes another distraction and misdirection. Let's take the part where a horseman-of-the-apocalypse comes trotting through: people start asking "what does it mean?" When the question of "what caused the horseman of the apocalypse to come to be?" is easier to answer; and the answer is because that guy dancing in front of everyone started shooting people quite obviously.

The first thing the 'main character' of the video does is assume a Jim Crow pose, so the easiest assumption to make about who the character is or what they represent is a near-demonic manifestation of Jim Crow, representing "an ethnic depiction in accordance with contemporary Caucasian ideas of African-Americans and their culture." So if we ask where the "blame" lies, it's not on one race or the other (sorry bout the whole slavery thing tho), the problem becomes from an interplay between races because of how certain behavior is rewarded.

"[Jim Crow] was long popular among black slaves [so American performer and playwright who performed blackface and used African-American vernacular speech Thomas D. Rice] adapted and popularized a traditional slave song called 'Jump Jim Crow'." This idea of circular cultural appropriation/reappropriation (in a capitalist system [run by white dudes]) is the main point of the video imho

My personal conclusion is that the optimism in the video comes from the idea that our cultures do very much influence each other, but the reward system that makes rappers millionaires is the same one that could lead to disastrous results (all the stuff in the back of the video/violent racial disparity). I think it points the finger more at modern hip-hop/rap/entertainment (ie. the "slavery was a choice" Kanye thing) than it does "white people." I mean everyone already knows white dudes are opportunistic, capitalistic, authoritarian assholes- pretty much goes without saying.

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2018

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

This thread is proving it apparently is too deep for many to understand :(

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sintax posted:

Ironically, the video points the finger more at modern hip-hop/rap/entertainment (ie. the "slavery was a choice" Kanye thing
Your post is very thoughtful and valid, I just want to make it known that I strongly disagree about this single point and believe you're incorrect for a few reasons; Donald Glover has made a lot of hip hip/rap songs including an entire trap based unironic album so it would be really strange if he were admitting he's committing toxic slights towards his own community constantly . Secondly people actually into hip hop understand the whole violent video games/ movies/ angry rap = real world issues is completely silly since it's completely chicken/egg. Most hiphop consumers and talents understand the fundamental idea that rap is your soapbox, your journal, your story, no matter how anyone feels it's the expression of your life and struggles/victories.

Those concepts dont mesh well with how you're framing it especially since on SNL Donald just last week roasted kanye in a skit regarding that exact phrase.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

the last pair of pants i had with buttons instead of a zipper was actually the best pair of jeans I ever wore they tore down lickety split, but were strong, to restrain the payload during a squat. Where can I get get plus size jeans of double strong denim with an antique button zipper? asking for a friend.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Wendigee posted:

the last pair of pants i had with buttons instead of a zipper was actually the best pair of jeans I ever wore they tore down lickety split, but were strong, to restrain the payload during a squat. Where can I get get plus size jeans of double strong denim with an antique button zipper? asking for a friend.

duluth trading company you ol chunky butt

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Your post is very thoughtful and valid, I just want to make it known that I strongly disagree about this single point and believe you're incorrect for a few reasons
Completely fair, my conclusion is unfinished at best

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This thread is proving it apparently is too deep for many to understand :(

Being a pedantic turd over the song is a new meme

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

del

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 14, 2018

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Kazak posted:

Being a pedantic turd over the song is a new meme

its not really pedantic to look at something with a lot of intentional symbolism and like, interpret the symbolism

its kind of the point

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Not that kind of pedantic, the other kind

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pawn 17 posted:

Also! gently caress you! Bino and Carly Rae both kick rear end

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Today a black guy got mad at me for liking donald glover so naturally i'm alt-right now

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kazak posted:

Also! gently caress you! Bino and Carly Rae both kick rear end

Hey Carly Rae the poo poo

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Former DILF posted:

Today a black guy got mad at me for liking donald glover so naturally i'm alt-right now
The man has an extremely odd relationship with the black community. On one hand he's an actor first rapper so that already deflates most people who can't get past will Smith comparisons. Then there's the fact his music transformed from nearly parody rap "smoke your green, I'm spendin mines!!" to actual bars and then some of the blackest poo poo ever + Atlanta and the whiplash has left a lot of people too paralyzed to form a concrete opinion

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He also starred center in one of the original debates (see: rage tornado pants making GBS threads) on if black people can play fictional characters that were originally drawn with peach color

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what do you call this style of music, by the way? because holy poo poo it sucks

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Atlanta is an insanely good show, some of the episodes are super clever

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is rap music my friend a dog, the best and most popular musical art form in America for years now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Had no idea who this guy was, had the song in my head for a few days, just Googled him and lol it's the black kid from Community

He got swole and apparently jerked off the right people in Hollywood

make that money, indeed

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Amateur Saboteur posted:

It is rap music my friend a dog, the best and most popular musical art form in America for years now

Trap music is pretty terrible

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trap beats are usually top notch. People, humans for harddrive limitation so to speak in the brain, need to constantly categorize things but in doing so miss out on a lot of intricacies.

For instance hip hop music is actually a collaboration of two distinct and separate arts DJ and emcee. Very few people are both and one could easily carry the performance. When they both fire it can be extraordinary.

In short, all music serves a role, I dont listen to trap on purpose, but if you have parties and dance locations where they don't play it goddamn are you square

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've never been to a party or a "dance location" so i guess im fuckin square as

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The song by itself is completely different and could probably perform well as a dance club hit but it's weird to think about dancing to it if you've seen the video. I don't enjoy the genre in general but this outing is some of the best I've heard of it, and it's probably meant to be heard in irony.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

one of my takeaways from regularly visiting America was that drat people will legit assemble into lines and start busting the music video dance moves when particular songs come on so, despite the fact it’d be highly inappropriate, I can believe there’s a non zero chance it’d happen with this one

source: a white af summer camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
white people dont dance, dummy

• Locked thread