Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Xenocides posted:

The search happens at the beginning of the Rebel Mission phase. Still on its way.

Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Turn 5 Rebel Missions

All organic characters on both sides that are not half or more wounded heal 1 hit.

Searches

Saturn Team on Umbra: Need a 2 or less. d10 = 7, fails
Tobori Bull Team on Umbra: Need a 3 or less. d10 = 7, fails
Nebula Team on Umbra: Need a 3 or less. d10 = 6, fails

Archer Team on Dayan: Need a 1. d10 = 8, fails

And the big one is next. What neither of us noticed before yesterday is that relocating troops from Oisad to Xibalba means their search odds when down from 50/50.

Lightning Team on Oisad: Need a 3 or less. d10 = 10, fails.

Not that is mattered.

Scorpion Team on Aquaria: Need a 2 or less. d10 = 5, fails.

Well, that was anticlimactic. Almost wished they were caught.

I reorganized teams a little and will cover that when I get to the teams in question.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturn Team

Mission: Coup Umbra back to where it was. Archon Morgan is Mission Leader. Team is given $200.

Preliminary Action Step

Early arrival, extra action step.

Six civilians attack the Team, loyalists displeased with the Archon still being around.

Onioc takes 3 hits an the team excapes.

Already detected so no need to stick around.

FASC 1

1st Action Step

Onioc suffers 1 hit in an accident.

FASC 2

2nd Action Step

Celebration of Travisian holiday. No civilian attacks.

FASC 3

3rd Action Step

Mission crisis. Archon has to roll COM or less on a d6 (needs a 1). d6 = 1, +2 to FASC

Well, that was probably my luck quota for the session.

FASC 4 + 2

4th Action Step

No event.

FASC 5 + 2

5th Action Step

No monster attacks.

FASC 6 + 2

6th Action Step

Angry civilians, no effect.

FASC 7 + 2

Final Step

FASC 7 + 2 for modifier + 1 for Morgan's RNK + 2 for previous coups + 1 for it being Morgan's home + 1 for Morgan being nobility here - 3 for theocracy + 2 for Morgan's special + 2 for $200 in bribes = 15

d20 = 2, double success. Umbra moves from 0 to +3. This triggers a shockwave that moves Travisond from +2 to +3. Both remaining Travisian worlds are ripe for rebellion.

I had planned to pick up the Travisian scriptures on my next mission but with both planets already ripe for revolt there is no point.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Scorpion Team

Spark Rebellion on Travisond. Ison is Team Leader. Team is given $200.

Preliminary Action Step

Team gets a new item.

Bulma acquires a rare drug.

Bulma's extra action:

Bulma shoots up with bioenhancer to help her make the long jump to Oisad to drop off the medical droid. GDN on Aquaria detects ship taking off and fires but misses. Ship transits the wormhole and evades the deep space station's GDN. It then arrives to find Oisad only has a pair of sloops in orbit. Neither the ships nor the GDN detect the ship landing. On the way the medical droid cures Ison and Machumen. Bulma could use healing but cannot be healed while flying. The medical droid is dropped off to heal the poor team stuck here.

1st Action Step

Bulma takes the drug again to help get out of here. Team takes off from Oisad and the GDN detects the ship and fires but misses. Bulma expertly evades the sloops, jumps to Travisond and evades the GDN there. Ison makes a shot in the dark attempt at fixing the 1 hit to the ship and fails. Now the mission can begin.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Team runs into patrol. With a 40% chance of conscripts, 40% chance of line, and 20% chance of stormtroopers I roll in the middle for line troops. 3 of them attack.

In Round 1 Ison takes 2 hits and Machumen takes 1. Ison shoots amazingly and kills a soldier, Bulma also does well and kills another, and Machumen's heavy repeater makes it a hat trick.

FASC 1

3rd Action Step

Another patrol. This time 4 conscripts attack. Ison is shielded to prevent his being wounded.

In Round 1 Machumen takes 2 hits. Bulma wounds 2 and Machumen kills 1 and wounds the other.

In Round 2 Bulma and Machumen both take a hit but they finish off the enemy.

FASC 2

4th Action Step

Team is immune to searches and patrols are only 2 soldiers. A little late?

FASC 3

5th Action Step

Informant spots the team. Team is detected.

FASC 4

6th Action Step

Unexpected expenses. Team spends $40.

Now cannot afford to pay the bribe to modify FASC.

FASC 5

Final Step

FASC 5 doubled to 10 + 1 for Ison's RNK + 1 for Ison's special = 12

d20 = 10, success, Travisond goes into Rebellion. No shockwave as all other Travisian planets are at maximum unrest. Three ground units, a light cruiser, a frigate, and a heavy starfighter are built. Rebels get 25 RP in the treasury bringing it to 74.5.

Tobori Bull Team

Nebula team (consisting of Ekud and the Ragnari clipper) is folded into Tobori Bull Team.

Mission: Spark Rebellion on Umbra. Mardok is Mission Leader. Team is given $200.

Mardok is wounded and I would like to let him rest but I need his RNK rating for this mission.

Preliminary Action Step

Sovereign recalled, no effect.

1st Action Step

Local friends of the Archon help plot the revolt. +1 to FASC

FASC 1 + 1

2nd Action Step

Mission crisis. Mardok has to roll RNK or less. d6 = 3, +2 to FASC.

FASC 2 + 3

3rd Action Step

6 loyalist civilians attack.

In Round One Bagul takes 1 hit and Ekud takes 2. Two civilians are wounded. The team tries to flee but only Mardok escapes.

In Round Two Bagul takes 1 hit and two civilians are defeated. The team escapes.

FASC 3 + 3

4th Action Step

The plan for the revolt experiences difficulties. -1 to FASC.

FASC 4 + 2

5th Action Step

Team stumbles onto patrol (no effect as Rebel militia control planet).

FASC 5 + 2

6th Action Step

Repeat step.

FASC 6 + 2

6th Action Step Take 2

Ice Lynx attacks. Lynx gets surprise.

In Round One Bagul takes 2 hits (1 hit from wounded). Bagul and Ekud each deal 1 hit each, wounding the Lynx.

In Round Two Ekud fights alone to shield Bagul but the lynx rolls snake eyes and deals 4 hits, wounding Ekud. He deals 2 hits and kills the lynx.

FASC 7 + 2

Final Step

FASC 7 doubled to 14 + 2 for modifiers + 1 for Mardok's RNK + 1 for $200 = 18

d20 = 13, success, planet goes into Rebellion. No eligible shockwave targets. A single regular unit and a corvette are deployed.

Nebula Team

Nebula Team splits off from Friendship Team. They are my new Coup team with a cumulative +6 from specials alone. Team does have to go pick up Vermon.

I am a little concerned about the lack of a quality pilot but can't be helped.

Mission: Coup on Draconis III, the Drak homeworld. Glon is Mission Leader. Team is given $200.

Preliminary Action Step

Civilian Drak political expert assigned to mission. Gives +2 to FASC if he survives.

1st Action Step

Team flies to Dayan and picks up Vermon. Unfortunately I now realize the team is too big if I take the civilian. The Sirius can only fit 4 characters and the dog counts. They leave the dog with Archer Team. The stacking of Lindi and the dog's special ability to avoid surprise are stuck together in any case now. I will try to pass the dog off to another team next chance I get.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Team hyperjumps to Draconis but misjumps due to the bad Nav computer and mediocre pilot. Team is off-course.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Team flies in on sublight and lands.

FASC 0

4th Action Step

Team stumbles into patrol. 4 conscripts attack.

In Round One the conscripts all miss. Glon wounds one and Magnifico and Vermon kill one each.

In Round Two the team finishes them off.

Reminds me of the good old days when I was still shooting my way to the top. One forgets how much fun it is.

FASC 1

5th Action Step

Fix item (no effect)

FASC 2

6th Action Step

No event next step (no effect)

FASC 3

Final Step

FASC 3 + 1 for Glon's RNK + 1 for Glon's INT + 2 for Parliamentary government + 2 for Glon's special + 2 for Magnifico's special + 2 for Vermon's special + 2 for civilian expert + 2 for $200 in bribes = 17

d20 = 2, double success so planet unrest increases by 3. Planet goes from -1 to +2. This triggers a shockwave. Draconis II goes from +1 to +2. The Drak world Neogea goes from -1 to 0 and the Drak world of Tolkin goes from -2 to -1.

Lightning Team

The ill-fated team who it looks like will end up being okay.

Mission: None

I want to just heal and get them out and drop off characters at other locations. I was hoping they could try to "rescue" the jailed Imperial characters but that is against the rules.

Preliminary Action Step

Get a mulligan. Nice, it has been a while. One on each side now.

1st Action Step

Wait for medical droid to arrive.

FASC NA

2nd Action Step

Medical droid heals all 3 hits.

FASC NA

3rd Action Step

Medical droid heals another 3 hits.

FASC NA

4th Action Step

Medical droid heals team to full. Prois attempts to fix ship of 1 hit and fails.

FASC NA

5th Action Step

Ship takes off and evades the GDN and the sloops in orbit. It jumps to Umbra and lands and drops off the Medical droid to Tobori Bull Team to heal Mardok and Ekud and the Canon joins the team just because.

FASC

6th Action Step

They fly to Dobell and pick up the Travisian original manuscript because there is not much else to do and might as well make sure the Imperials cannot use it if they ever manage to quash a Travisian Rebellion.

FASC NA

Final Step

FASC NA

Friendship Team

Mission: Propaganda on Solaria, the Solarian Motherworld. Federova is Mission Leader. Team is given $200.

Preliminary Action Step

1st Action Step

Ship evades GDN on Cots and hyperjumps to Solaria and land their covert fighter in secret.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Solarians seem uninterested. -1 to FASC.

FASC 1 - 1

3rd Action Step

Informant spots Ketres. Team is detected.

FASC 2 - 1

4th Action Step

In an accident involving filming Concordance propaganda Ketres takes 3 hits and is wounded.

FASC 3 - 1

5th Action Step

Team is immune to searches and enemy patrols are small.

FASC 4 - 1

6th Action Step

Skip next step (no effect)

FASC 5 - 1

Final Step

FASC 5 doubled to 10 - 1 for modifier + 3 for Federova's CHA + 2 for two characters with high CHA - 1 for unrest - 1 for natural environment + 2 for $200 in bribes = 14

d20 = 13, planet moves from -1 to 0.

Archer Team

Mission: Persuade Hypermafia to increase support. Mahoney is Mission Leader and team is given $200.

Note the Laian dog is out of the mission unless I wait for its arrival later in the steps. Not worth the delay so he stays on the ship.

Preliminary Action Step

Rolled an idiot I have to go pick up elsewhere or I fail the mission. Using Lindi's ability to reroll. Got a civilian that gives +2 if still around at mission completion instead.

1st Action Step

Hypermafia seems reluctant to increase support. No FASC next step.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Breakthrough in negotiations. Repeat this step.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step Take 2

Team is detected. Team was already detected so Imperials get a search. Need a 1. d10 = 10, failure.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

Team is detected again. Need 1. d10 = 5, failure.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

Team is detected again. Need 1. d10 = 8, failure.

FASC 4

5th Action Step

Team runs into a patrol of 2 conscripts. Team would have been surprised but Lindi saves the day. The combat droid takes a hit and both conscripts are wounded. The team then escapes.

FASC 5

6th Action Step

Skip next step (no effect)

FASC 6

Final Step

FASC 6 doubled to 12 + 1 for Mahoney's CHA + 1 for current alignment - 1 for being Hypermafia + 3 for Mahoney's special + 2 for $200 in bribes = 18

d20 = 6, Hypermafia moves from +1 to +3. As much support as is possible. The Imperials could always shift it away. The good thing is that between this and the Free Traders all Espionage missions get a +7

Black Hole Team

Mission: Espionage to discover secret on Gotica. Weber is Team Leader and team is given $5200

Preliminary Action Step

Team goes shopping and buys a Space Courier for $3300.

A ship with good evasion and low capacity. I don't anticipate an Espionage Team getting very big. I would love a competent pilot for the team though.

1st Action Step

Team evades the GDN on Menzel and hyperjumps to Gotica but gets lost due to bad jump calculations.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Team manages to make the jump and lands on Gotica.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Local contact gives tip. +1 to FASC

FASC 1 + 1

4th Action Step

Mission crisis. Weber must roll INT or less. d6 = 4, +2 to FASC

FASC 2 + 3

5th Action Step

Repeat this step.

FASC 3 + 3

5th Action Step Take 2

Mission Crisis (one per mission, no event)

FASC 4 + 3

6th Action Step

Informant recognizes Weber. Team is detected.

FASC 5 + 3

Final Step

FASC 5 doubled to 10 + 3 for modifiers + 4 for Weber's INT + 3 for Chan's special + 7 for faction bonuses = 27

d20 = 4, sadly only one success can matter in this case.

The Graveyard, a storage cache hidden underground far from the populated areas of the planet. Stored in large quantities are out of date but still serviceable light starships, ground vehicles, weapons, body armor, and transports. A team of technicians keep them in working order.

If tension ever hits 201 or higher and the planet is not blockaded the Empire can reactivate the cache and get 3 2nd line units and 12 rp worth of light starships. If the planet goes into Rebellion the Rebels get 3 Irregular units and 12 RP of light starships. So, get this planet into revolt first.

Camps and Cells

Earth:
Cell attempts to turn into Camp and succeeds.
Camp #1 attempts to Plant Rebel Cell FASC 6, d20 = 4, sleeper cell added.

Mars:
Camp #1 attempts to Plant Rebel Cell FASC 3, d20 = 20, failure

Neogea:
Both cells attempt to become camps. One succeeds.
Cell #1 attempts to find Agnot Keep FASC 9, d20 = 7, success, Agnot Keep located on Neogea.
Camp #1 attempts Propaganda on Neogea FASC 6, d20 = 8, failure.

Aquaria:
Two sleeper cells activate.
Cell #1 attempts Espionage to find Pirate's Cove. FASC 9, d20 = 7, Pirates Cove is in the Armes District.
Cell #2 attempts Sabotage to attack the 1st Line Unit on planet, FASC 2, d20 = 13, failure.

Elfond:
Camp #1 attempts propaganda, FASC 3, d20 = 1, planet shifts from -1 to 0.
Camp #2 attempts to Plant a cell, FASC 4, d20 = 15, failure.

Rebel combat at newly rebelling worlds is part of this phase but we did not have enough time yesterday to run that.

A good turn. All the Travisian worlds are rebelling and teams are moving on. I decided it is time to bring the Pirates into play. If the Imperials assemble a fleet to deal with the pirates it should give them some vulnerabilities now that the small Rebel fleet can exploit. Currently, I have a plan. If the Imperials choose to act first I plan to pull most of the Rebel fleet to Oisad, the district capital. It is the capital of the district due for taxation next turn and if it can be blockaded the Imperials receive no taxes. If the Imperials go second they can break the blockade so that plan will not work.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Very nice. IIRC with Travsiond rebelling that means that the Crystalline Plague no longer gives the Imps an extra RP, right? Because if so then drat. Not a fun turn for the Imps.

Also the fringe bonuses with the detection of Angot Keep and the Pirates was a nice surprise from the camps. Thinking of doing anything with the former detail or letting that lie for now?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, that was a really, really good turn. Two planets in revolt, finding the pirates and the assassins.. Andt aht secret isn't bad either. Well played!

Glad the injured team got it out alive.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bounty hunters and assassins seem a menace, might it be worth killing them?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Very nice missions. With the Travisians in full revolt, we have more resources, and there's enough going down to possibly pin down some Imperial attention.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Excellent, practically all of Travisians are with us. Also, Lightning team did not fall into imperial hands. Now, while I'm concerned about the connection with the hypermarfia, the resources and tips they give are quite useful.

Next step, get the pirates on our side and get Gotia in rebellion. We need the ships that the graveyard holds and the sooner we get them, the better.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

The assassins keep if you take it out will pop 'up' on another world sometime later, so it justtakes them temporarily out of the picture. I'm not sure if the Rebellion can directly attack the Bounty Hunter Guild or not.

Hopefully all our worlds aren't going to now have issueswith Imperial espionage teams trying to dig out the locationsof our secret worlds.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
"I'm just doing these drugs to help with this long jump." Sure thing Bulma.

But seriously you piled up a lot of kindling this turn. Surprised there wasn't more espionage in the camp phase but things worked out.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Do cells/camps give visibility to the ground units on the planet? How about fleets in orbit?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Rawkking posted:

Do cells/camps give visibility to the ground units on the planet? How about fleets in orbit?

You always have ground visibility. They do not give fleet visibility but an Espionage Mission can do that so some cells may end up doing some fleet snooping when I run out of Espionage missions for them. Pretty much next turn most likely.

habituallyred posted:

"I'm just doing these drugs to help with this long jump." Sure thing Bulma.

But seriously you piled up a lot of kindling this turn. Surprised there wasn't more espionage in the camp phase but things worked out.

Trying to leave the Espionage to cells. Camps can do so much more. Also, the reason some cells did Sabotage missions is you can only do each mission type once per planet in the Mission Phase so I could not have two cells on the same planet both do Espionage.

V. Illych L. posted:

I would love to raid Agnot Keep and knock them out of the picture for a while. To do that I need to hold the planet militarily at the beginning of my surface combat turn so no surprise attack. The Empire would get a chance to respond. It shuts down for d6 turns, all contracts are cancelled, and it pushes unrest on the planet up +2 if I can raid it. Then when it reactivates it comes back hidden to both sides so the Imperials would have to use Espionage to find it again.

Bounty Hunters cannot be raided. I guess the rationale is you will need them around when the war is over. I could knock their support down with a Persuade Faction mission but that just makes their attacks a little less likely. Their faction seat relocates if the planet they are on goes into Concordance but that has no effect other then moving it. I am hoping we will get the event that allows the Rebels to also hire bounty hunters.

grandalt posted:

Excellent, practically all of Travisians are with us. Also, Lightning team did not fall into imperial hands. Now, while I'm concerned about the connection with the hypermarfia, the resources and tips they give are quite useful.

Next step, get the pirates on our side and get Gotia in rebellion. We need the ships that the graveyard holds and the sooner we get them, the better.

Gotica is a good target. I am not in a huge rush as I need time to get places to stash more units and it is a while before the Imperials can use it. I am planning to keep hitting the Solarian and Drak homeworlds. Gotica is a Drak world so hopefully a few shockwaves will hit it.

nweismuller posted:

Very nice missions. With the Travisians in full revolt, we have more resources, and there's enough going down to possibly pin down some Imperial attention.

Yeah, my objective is to get enough planets into Rebellion so that the Empire cannot reasonably garrison them all. I also need to start constructing the good units at New Hope soon. By that I mean Rebel battlestars, heavy cruisers, and those lovely elite ground units. As soon as I get Master Edwards I will probably send him to Avsar to start working on them. My one regret in the last Missions phase was I did not get a single new character.

Dr. Snark posted:

Very nice. IIRC with Travsiond rebelling that means that the Crystalline Plague no longer gives the Imps an extra RP, right? Because if so then drat. Not a fun turn for the Imps.

Also the fringe bonuses with the detection of Angot Keep and the Pirates was a nice surprise from the camps. Thinking of doing anything with the former detail or letting that lie for now?

It is only one RP for the plague but nice to chip away at the income. I might use the a camp on the Agnot Keep world to try to push them towards the Rebels. If I can get them to 0 or +1 I can even get a single contract with them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Going all in on rebellions really seems like the best option for the rebel player. It chokes off the resources of your enemy and builds up a force you can move around with relative ease compared to the empire's. The early barbarian invasion definitely helped by slowing down the military buildup, but the difference between this game and the previous one is dramatic.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wiegieman posted:

Going all in on rebellions really seems like the best option for the rebel player. It chokes off the resources of your enemy and builds up a force you can move around with relative ease compared to the empire's. The early barbarian invasion definitely helped by slowing down the military buildup, but the difference between this game and the previous one is dramatic.

yeah at this point it seems like we're close to thw point where the empire cannot realistically be everywhere at once in sufficient number to guarantee victory, at which point a new phase of the game gets going

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean i reckon lol i have only the vaguest idea of what's going on

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Honestly what's killing it is the +7 on espionage. Camps succeed on espionage on a 9 or less, so about 40% of the time. It's insane and frees the actual teams to do so many more useful missions.
Also camps can bud off more cells and that's simply hilarious.
I'd honestly say that ceteris paribus the first rebel turn should be spent planting as many cells as you can get away with.

The imperials faceplanting on Morgan and handing the rebellion the Travisian worlds was also a good shortfall.
Although, I'd think about getting some counterespionage done on New Hope's location. Cells can do that, right?

The imperial player absolutely needs to track down the minor bases, because having an harassing fleet you can actually use without removing the empire's head from its rear end* looks a little too powerful. Of course, there's way too many fires to put out right now.

*military ships or troops leaving New Hope automatically remove all bureaucratic restrictions the empire suffers from. You really do not want to do that.

E: if the imperials go second your freshly rebelled troops get to leave for free, don't they?
E2: the troops on Travisond may have to retreat under fire but I don't see any imperial fleets in orbit at the new planets.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2018

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Omobono posted:

Honestly what's killing it is the +7 on espionage. Camps succeed on espionage on a 9 or less, so about 40% of the time. It's insane and frees the actual teams to do so many more useful missions.
Also camps can bud off more cells and that's simply hilarious.
I'd honestly say that ceteris paribus the first rebel turn should be spent planting as many cells as you can get away with.

The imperials faceplanting on Morgan and handing the rebellion the Travisian worlds was also a good shortfall.
Although, I'd think about getting some counterespionage done on New Hope's location. Cells can do that, right?

The imperial player absolutely needs to track down the minor bases, because having an harassing fleet you can actually use without removing the empire's head from its rear end* looks a little too powerful. Of course, there's way too many fires to put out right now.

*military ships or troops leaving New Hope automatically remove all bureaucratic restrictions the empire suffers from. You really do not want to do that.

E: if the imperials go second your freshly rebelled troops get to leave for free, don't they?
E2: the troops on Travisond may have to retreat under fire but I don't see any imperial fleets in orbit at the new planets.

Sadly I cannot use cells for counterespionage for New Hope. Counterespionage has to be done at a site where the Espionage could be done. That means Concordance worlds and sadly cells disappear when a world goes into Rebellion. Obnoxiously the best characters for planting cells are also (mostly) the best at sparking rebellions so cell planting will probably slow.

I plan to start using the fleet to harass but it will be dangerous. If I blunder into a battlestar I would have a hard time taking it down. Corvettes, Frigates, and heavy starfighters that target a battlestar will do 1 hit on a 6 or less and light cruisers will do 1 hit on an 8 or less. If they roll really low they can get more hits but most of the ships will likely miss. The big incentive to launch the invasion from New Hope (IMO) is to counter this. Well, that and being able to fight Imperial elite units on equal terms on the ground.

I do want to take the Hypermafia planet to make it hard for the Empire to sway it back but on the other hand if the Empire takes missions to sway them that is one less mission pushing down unrest.

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean i reckon lol i have only the vaguest idea of what's going on

I often feel the same way.

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, most everything else is in support of this. I moved a little slower at the beginning as I feel I need to build up some income and get the characters money early.

As I see it going forward I am going to start hitting the various homeworlds hard to get those sweet shockwave effects. Enough rebellions will push it to where the Empire cannot control who gets the initiative and then I can start going on the offensive militarily. Begin by sniping the enemy and build up to real attacks. Begin harassing the district capitols to threaten taxation income. Eventually build for a big attack on Earth. Earth has the most impressive shockwave effects if I can get some good propaganda going there. It is generally not safe to be there though until I can occupy it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Looks like, depending on Imperial response, we may well get Umbra into Concordance. And although Umbra may not be that valuable, every planet we carve off is a poke in the Imperial eye.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Every planet that goes into Rebellion is one less the Empire can get taxes from, one more they have to blockade, invade, and garrison. It also lowers thier income bit by bit. At the point you spread thier military thin enough hopefully it means you can get in targeted assaults and actually win engagements.

Also two cells on Earth is nice. Hopefully you can have some fun with them. Go for whatever chaos you can spread to thin the Empire ou some! Looking forwards to see how Rebellion Combat goes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 5 Rebellion Combat

I pass on attacking on Travisond. I roll and am allowed to evacuate the fleet over Travisond but no other forces can move.

Turn 5 Imperial Missions

Rebel Search

Theta Team on Mars. Need a 1, fails.

Alpha Team on Travisond is released from prison, having served their sentence.

Epsilon Team

Mission: Influence sovereign Nesseren to support the Empire more completely. Emperor is Mission Leader. Team is given $400

Preliminary Action Step

Empire gets a mulligan card.

1st Action Step

Emperor is detected. Since the Emperor is already detected because he is travelling with his retinue the Rebels could search if they had anything to search with. They do not.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Repeat step.

FASC 2

2nd Action Step Take 2

No FASC next step.

FASC 3

3rd Action Step

Monster, a hovering stalker attacks. The Emperor hides behind his four commando escorts who murder the robot with ease.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

Mission crisis, Emperor must roll CHA or less. d6 = 5, mulligan used, d6 = 2, +2 to FASC

FASC 4 + 2

5th Action Step

No angry civilians.

FASC 5 + 2

6th Action Step

No event next step (no effect)

FASC 6 + 2

Final Step

FASC 6 doubled to 12 + 2 for modifier + 2 for Emperor's CHA + 2 for Emperor's RNK - 1 for planet's unrest + 2 for Emperor being nobility + 2 for $400 in bribes + 1 for Emperor's special = 22

d20 = 2, triple success. Nesseren moves from 0 to +3, one step from commitment.

Theta Team

Mission: Propaganda on Mars. Chang is Mission Leader. No money.

Preliminary Action Step

Empire gets mulligan card back.

1st Action Step

Fix item (no effect)

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Repeat step.

FASC 2

2nd Action Step Take 2

No monster attacks.

FASC 3

3rd Action Step

2 civilians attack. Chang hides behind his soldiers who quickly kill them.

FASC 4

4th Action Step

Medical aid (no effect)

FASC 5

5th Action Step

Team is detected. Camp attempts search. Need a 1. d10 = 9, fails.

FASC 6

6th Action Step

Go back a step.

FASC 7

5th Action Step Take 2

All money stolen (no effect)

FASC 8

6th Action Step Take 2

-2 modifier to FASC because everyone dislikes Chang.

FASC 9 - 2

Final Step

FASC 9 doubled to 18 - 2 for modifier - 1 for Chang's CHA + 2 for planet unrest + 4 for sovereign commitment + 1 for being Chang's home + 2 for Chang being nobility here - 1 for natural environment = 25

d20 = 1, triple success, what a waste of a roll.

Mars goes from -2 to -3.

Alpha Team

Mission: Coup on Draconis III, Anaxim is Mission Leader. Team is given $200.

Vakvilo is wounded and is sitting out the mission on the ship to get back to full health.

Preliminary Action Step

1st Action Step

Team hyperjumps to Draconis III

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Bounty Hunters (no effect)

FASC 1

3rd Action Step

No FASC next step.

FASC 2

4th Action Step

Team loses all money due to an enterprising thief.

FASC 3

5th Action Step

Local parliamentary ally assists. +1 to FASC

FASC 4 + 1

6th Action Step

4 civilians dislike Anaxim's face and attack. They also get surprise.

In Round 1 Giovanelli takes 3 hits and kills one civilian.

In Round 2 Giovanelli takes a hit and kills another. The team attempts to escape but fails.

In Round 3 the civilians all miss and Giovanelli wounds the two survivors.

In Round 4 Anaxim takes a hit and the last civilians go down.

FASC 5 + 1

Final Step

FASC 5 + 1 for modifier + 1 for Anaxim's RNK + 1 for Anaxim's INT + 1 for previous coup + 2 for being a parliament + 2 for Anaxim's special = 13

d20 = 7, success, new parliamentary elections are called and a pro-Imperial government is put in power.

Draconis III goes from +2 to 0. Shockwave pushes Draconis II from +2 to +1. Pindi goes from -1 to -2 and Gotica goes from -2 to -3.

Stupid coup pushing the graveyard away from me.

Delta Team

Mission: Espionage on Xibalba to find New Hope. Shushi is Team Leader. $200 for team.

Preliminary Action Step

New character activated.

After the Barbarian invasion ravaged my District I am here to redeem myself in the eyes of the Emperor.

Yuck, she is nobility everywhere is Sakayama District and is a good diplomat. The Empire will be able to form another Propaganda team. Some other team will have to come get her at some point. She will not fit in this team's ship.

1st Action Step

Team's ship is fixed. (No effect)

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Team loses all money to a pickpocket.

This event has 1% chance of happening but is cropping up a lot this turn.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

Team is detected.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

Team is detected and the rebel troops can search. Need a 1. d10 = 3, fails.

FASC 4

5th Action Step

Detected again, search. d10 = 7, fails.

FASC 5

6th Action Step

Detected again, search. d10 = 3, fails.

FASC 6

Final Step

FASC 6 doubled to 12 + 2 for Shushi's INT + 3 for Shushi's special = 17

d20 = 14, one more location crossed off.

Gamma Team

Mission: Persuade Commerce Federations to back the Empire. Nana is Mission Leader. Team gets $1250.

Preliminary Action Step

New character.

Need someone killed?

A one trick pony. Try to get him somewhere where he can shoot someone in the head.

Proctor is left behind as he does not fit in the ship.

1st Action Step

Vonder visits Agnot Keep and spends $1050 putting out contracts. One on Koolet Ison, one of General Mardok, and one on Lien Glon.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Team misjumps to Aurora. Team is off-course. Medical droid heals Vonder of 1 hit.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Team arrives on Aurora using sublight engines. Medical droid heals Vonder of 3 hits bringing him back to full.

FASC 0

4th Action Step

Medical aid (no effect).

FASC 1

5th Action Step

Fix ship (no effect)

FASC 2

6th Action Step

Team is detected.

FASC 3

Final Step

FASC 3 doubled to 6 + 2 for Nana's CHA + 2 for protocol droid's special + 2 for $200 in bribes = 12

d20 = 5, success. Commerce Federation moves to -1 commitment and will donate 1 RP every turn to the Empire.

Beta Team

Mission: Espionage on Travisond to find Minor Base Alpha. Stargazer is Mission Leader.

I missed this. You can get the first level of a minor base anywhere that is Concordance or has Rebel troops. I forgot that Travisond is in the the district....and is where the base is.

Preliminary Action Step

Another Mulligan, they are up to 2.

1st Action Step

Team leaves Umbra. The lone Rebel corvette in orbit does not intercept. Hyperjumps and lands on Travisond.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

The tusked leonids sleep through this phase of the moon. No monster attacks.

FASC 1

3rd Action Step

Accident, Stargazer takes 2 hits.

FASC 2

4th Action Step

No monsters (no effect)

FASC 3

5th Action Step

Stargazer suffers another accident bringing her to grievously wounded. Mulligan. No FASC next step.

FASC 4

6th Action Step

No event.

FASC 4

Final Step

FASC 4 doubled to 8 + 2 for Stargazer's INT + 4 for Stargazer's special + 2 for $200 in bribes = 16

d20 = 14, success. They now know minor base Alpha is built on a barren moon orbiting a gas giant in the Travisond system.

That's it! The Rebels are there.

It would have to be the only base that is completely full wouldn't it?

Well, this could get interesting. The Imperials will almost certainly attack the base and they have the troops they need. Since the starships are parked they could end up having to be scuttled or even get captured. If the Imperials go first I do get the option if I have enough ships left of trying to hit Artford, put up a blockade, and cut off taxation next round. The fleet was only a pair of sloops but it could be reinforced.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So if you retreat from Alpha Base that means as you have nowhere else to put them the ships either have to go to New Hope or one of the other Concordance worlds in Travisond, right? And it's going to be an interesting military phase.

And well played by the Empire in the mission round. They did a pretty good job and no major bad plays on thier end. The fighting is going to be messy - good luck holding your own.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I was going to say this looks like it's going pretty well for team rebels, or at least quicker then the last game.

Now I suppose it's just going quicker.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

wedgekree posted:

So if you retreat from Alpha Base that means as you have nowhere else to put them the ships either have to go to New Hope or one of the other Concordance worlds in Travisond, right? And it's going to be an interesting military phase.

And well played by the Empire in the mission round. They did a pretty good job and no major bad plays on thier end. The fighting is going to be messy - good luck holding your own.

I can play possum and run around in some backwater worlds for fun and probably avoid getting overwhelmed. The problem is that normally I avoid parking ships on planets because if the planet is taken there is a chance to lose the ship. At a minor base that is not an option. If the Imperials attack (and they almost certainly will) all they need to send are ground troops and if they take the base the ships could be captured or scuttled. If the Imperials do bring ships and the ships make the roll to escape the Imperial fleet can intercept escaping ships.

There is room in the other bases and I will probably construct two more bases next turn in any case. That will be the maximum but I don't anticipate needing them late game so might as well build them now.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Check the die/random number generator. Those were some crazy mulligan and character coincidences. I would post the infamous Dominions Plaid RNG, but I can't find it right now.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Xenocides posted:

I can play possum and run around in some backwater worlds for fun and probably avoid getting overwhelmed. The problem is that normally I avoid parking ships on planets because if the planet is taken there is a chance to lose the ship. At a minor base that is not an option. If the Imperials attack (and they almost certainly will) all they need to send are ground troops and if they take the base the ships could be captured or scuttled. If the Imperials do bring ships and the ships make the roll to escape the Imperial fleet can intercept escaping ships.

There is room in the other bases and I will probably construct two more bases next turn in any case. That will be the maximum but I don't anticipate needing them late game so might as well build them now.

Fairenough. THanks for explaining how things work in the game! And good luck in the fight to come.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Am i just insane or is Selrach Ekud an intentional anagram of Duke Charles? :psyduck:

edit: duh, it's the lead designer's name

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 5, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

habituallyred posted:

Check the die/random number generator. Those were some crazy mulligan and character coincidences. I would post the infamous Dominions Plaid RNG, but I can't find it right now.

True random sets have streaks.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Intellectually I know that. But in practice...:arghfist:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Mulligans are not that unlikely. 10% chance at the beginning of a mission.

The other one....pretty sure it is not the RNG. After the second consecutive occurrence I rollled some dead rolls to see if there was a pattern. Nothing. Then I rolled for real and got it again. Just one of those weird patterns that forms. Like my opponent in my World War II game a few weeks back only rolling one 1 in 36d6 and sealing the doom of Nazi Germany. ;)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Xenocides posted:

The other one....pretty sure it is not the RNG. After the second consecutive occurrence I rollled some dead rolls to see if there was a pattern. Nothing. Then I rolled for real and got it again. Just one of those weird patterns that forms. Like my opponent in my World War II game a few weeks back only rolling one 1 in 36d6 and sealing the doom of Nazi Germany. ;)

What's this now?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

What's this now?

A game of Europe Engulfed. Germans threw their armor and most of Italy’s troops to dislodge my beachhead in Italy and needed 1s to hit. The Allies held on.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 5 Military

The Empire opts to go first.

Imperial Military

Fleets shift around and a new blockade is put up over Travisond. Umbra is left alone. Alpha Base is attacked.

Alpha Base

El Magnifico's Federal Guard and the Archon's Umbra Holy Guard face off with a Stormtrooper Unit and a 1st Line unit while a heavy cruiser and a pair of sloops wait in orbit.

In the 1st Round Magnifico's unit takes 5 hits and is 1 hit from destruction. The Rebel ground units miss. The Rebels decide discretion > valor and try to flee. Need a 6 or less to escape. d10 = 1.

The ground troops load up in transports and the ships take off. A light cruiser, a pair of frigates, a corvette, and 3 heavy starfighters. The Imperials are surprised at the strength of the Rebel force and the Rebel space forces do not try to escape but instead seek glorious battle.

The Rebel ships generate a single squadron of fighter as do the Imperials. The Imperials prepare to flee. The two squadrons fight it out, the ground transports are ordered to attack the sloops (one each) to keep the sloops from being able to use flak against the Rebel fighters, and the main Rebel force and all the heavy starfighters target the heavy cruiser in hopes of knocking out its hyperdrive.

The squadrons battle inconclusively. One of the transports (carrying Magnifico's guards gets in a good shot and cripples one of the sloops in a show of vengeance. The Rebel ships get in 4 hits on the heavy cruiser, crippling it. The Rebel light cruiser takes 3 hits and is crippled. The Imperial cruiser shoots down two heavy starfighters.

Imperials jump out. Both damaged ships manage to make the jump but the damaged sloop suffers damage as it jumps too close to the star and is destroyed.

That did not go as I had hoped. If the heavy cruiser had failed to make the jump I had a decent shot at capturing it.

Travisond

The Imperials attempt to evict the Rebel forces on the planet. The Rebels have a regular and two irregulars on the planet. The Imperials roll incredibly well and annihilate the Regular and an Irregular unit in exchange for four anemic hits scattered amongst the five Imperial attackers. The last Rebel unit manages to get to its transport and runs into the blockading fleet of three sloops, a destroyer, and a light cruiser. The transport is able to jump out.

Xibalba

Imperials attempt to attack again but the Irregulars go to ground and hide again.

Imperials also attempt to suppress Rebel Camps:

One camp on Elford is suppressed and becomes a cell that is inactive for 3 turns. All other Camps survive.

Rebel Military

The Umbra Holy Guard goes to Umbra and the Federal Guard and the surviving Irregular unit hide in Rebel bases. The crippled light cruiser attempts to jump to a base for repairs but fails. Will have to try again next time. Virtually the entire rest of the Rebel fleet consisting of two light cruisers, two frigates, three corvettes, and two heavy starfighters jump to Oisad to attempt to blockade and cut off taxation for the Empire. Earlier in the turn they had only a pair of sloops.

I get very lucky and all three groups show up at once.

Admiral Ackbar, we need your immortal wisdom.

The Imperials built a dreadnought-class battlestar. They are only allowed to built two of them. It alone carries three fighter squadrons. Even with numerical superiority I don't think the Rebels can win. With the dreadnought's battlestar-grade shields all my ships take a -1 to STR and my fighters cannot attack. The Imperials choose to put all ships except the Dreadnought in the back row meaning it is the only think I can shoot at.

I decide on an emergency escape and make the roll (barely). A frigate and a corvette each take a hit in the emergency jump out and a single heavy fighter is destroyed. Yikes. Okay, that was not good but at least it was not a disaster.

Concordance Phase

Umbra declares allegiance to the Concordance. The shockwave moves Elfond from 0 to +1.

Repairs

Rebels spend 2.5 RP to fix El Magnifico's guard.

The Imperials spend 8.5 fixing various units.

That plan would have worked had that Dreadnought not been there. Oh well. Clever to put it there. I am worried that the Empire let Umbra go into Concordance to give them a second site to continue the search for New Hope. I need to get more Rebellions going so I can neuter the Imperial economy so that even if they find New Hope they will have little chance of taking it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Things will be slow. Probably no new updates for at least a week and a half due to both of us being on vacation and my vacation is in one of the few areas left where there is very limited access to the internet.

It will get me a chance to work on finalizing ideas for my really odd Wing Commander LP I have been toying with running.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
That could have gone better. Good luck getting more Rebellions going. Shame we didn't get the cruiser, we took some heavy losses this round. For now it seems we can't stand up to the Imperials toe to toe.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, we welcome Umbra officially to the Concordance. Military, we could be doing better and at least we know the location of one of the empire's strongest ships. With care, we can use this knowledge to strike where the empire is weaker.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Hopefully we can effectively recover from our losses, but, at the least, we have another world to join us.

E:

Xenocides posted:

Admiral Ackbar, we need your immortal wisdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 11, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

grandalt posted:

Well, we welcome Umbra officially to the Concordance. Military, we could be doing better and at least we know the location of one of the empire's strongest ships. With care, we can use this knowledge to strike where the empire is weaker.

Presuming the Empire doesn't move said ship and it's fleet. We track groups by fleet rather than single ships. So they could just move the base star and some of the escorts around and we couldn't tell what is what.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

can't you counterspy or murder their spies or what have you? they now have a target for espionage, seems like an obvious place to put a dedicated hit squad and start attriting enemy teams

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Please tell me the Battlestar has a vent somewhere, about the size of a womp rat, that we can drop a bomb down and blow it all up in one go?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

V. Illych L. posted:

can't you counterspy or murder their spies or what have you? they now have a target for espionage, seems like an obvious place to put a dedicated hit squad and start attriting enemy teams

You can perform Counterespionage missions that increase the difficulty of Espionage missions to find a particular fact. Might be worth investing in using our Espionage bonus to put up a wall of counterespionage around the location of New Hope?

Pyroi posted:

Please tell me the Battlestar has a vent somewhere, about the size of a womp rat, that we can drop a bomb down and blow it all up in one go?

I think the Battlestar is more like a Super Star Destroyer than a Death Star, if I read it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Battlestar = Star Destroyer I think. The Death Star is called Moloch here; it has an unprotected exhaust port.

• Locked thread