Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sure. Good advice, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Here's the map and seed: st-v01-30-8-107655994

Map notes spoiled just in case anyone wants to try it and discover for themsevles: There's good suppliers / routes for spice trading in Dangia Circle, Kelshar's Pillars, and Delga Drift, all on the left side. Starting as Javat starts you in Dangia Circle, or at least it did for me. I don't know if this is random or not, but when I did the Arbiter's Union questline, the faction princes for Cadar and Zenrin were both along that long pipe in the north of the map.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This seems fun, except I'm weirdly annoyed by the wait times for healing, shore leave, refitting my ship, etc... I know it's completely logical to give people shore leave and that repairs take time (ok, maybe I could fix my ship at the same time, instead of packing everyone inside and giving them a few coins to get high on spice afterwards) but I read somewhere that missions time out if you wait too long, and I'm worried about falling behind of the difficulty curve.

Does it matter or can I go on decades-long trips and go back to the story mission with a fleet of imperial destroyers in tow?

Also: The UI needs an overhaul. Trying to be clever by picking cargo while doing missions and only finding out that there is a Trade Ban going afterwards, because the conflict screen is 7 clicks away made me quit yesterday.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The difficulty curve ramps up relatively slowly, over the course of several years. If you have excessive downtime I'm sure it wouldn't help but the game seems balanced to expect you to spend at least a month or two a year in downtime, saying this with a character in year 23.

But yes, the main story will trudge on whether you participate or not. I'm not yet sure how much the player actions influence it, given that until recently I haven't interacted with it much.

And yeah, easily the game's most glaring flaw is the UI. This game with a good UI and non mobile-looking graphics could totally be an indie darling, considering it's one of the best examples of 'a freelancing space trader dude' I've seen.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I haven't had so much fun in a game of this type for years. I mean Starsector with nexe+dyna is a thing, but it kind of went to poo poo with the last update.

This game looks incredibly well made and detailed for something made by just 2 people. Had it for five days and haven't even scratched the surface. Only complaint so far is how the character art makes them all look like their parents were related.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My girlfriend was helping me w character creation and her only criteria was don't pick one of the faces with... The Lips

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is there any kind of meta game with the weapons I should know about?

Also, where do I see a # total of my current crew. I know I can recruit one in the starport, but I couldn't before. So something happened to someone somewhere I'm guessing. I know if I hit the pilot head looking icon it'll show each crew one by one, but I'm just looking for somewhere that shows a numerical total of my total crew.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 26, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Zotix posted:

Also, where do I see a # total of my current crew. I know I can recruit one in the starport, but I couldn't before. So something happened to someone somewhere I'm guessing. I know if I hit the pilot head looking icon it'll show each crew one by one, but I'm just looking for somewhere that shows a numerical total of my total crew.

In the recruit screen, on the right side, there are a bunch of bars for your crew efficiency. The top two are for officers and total crew.

I just got this game a few days ago and it's very fun but the ui could be a little clearer sometimes.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zotix posted:

On the ship screen on the right just above your ship operations efficiency bars it will say Officers X/Y and Crew X/Y.

The meta for the weapons seems to be the tradeoff between range and damage. Torpedoes launch at long range for small-moderate damage. Lances fire at short range for heavy damage--but it takes a few turns to maneuver to range while the other ship is firing. Depending on your ship's mobility, which talents for damage/mobility/evasion your crew has, and the loadout of the opposing ship, you might choose to favor one over the other.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Torpedoes and lances are good at crippling enemy ships and will often start fires when they hit- look at the cripple chance. These fires are the easiest way to knock out a ship without destroying it. Other weapons like gravcannons, missiles, and plasma cannons are better for straight up killing ships.

Keep in mind that ships and ship combat are going to get a huge overhaul within the next month or two when the fighter patch drops, and a lot of things change.

Intel records are very, very useful for getting rep/influence up with a contact who will buy intel- it's much quicker than doing missions. However, you don't really need to do spying to get them, though you can have spy setups that have a very good rate of collection(there are spy talents that both add a intel records card and increase the reward, so getting spy crew is helpful). There are also talents that give you intel records when you successfully board a ship(spy), or even after you defeat one(zealot).

Exploration can be lucrative, but it requires some high level setups and capital which make it not terribly viable. You need multiple explorer/exo-scout crew to stack up the talents and a ship with the right modules to make it profitable, as well as a good crew combat group.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 26, 2018

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Exploration is a case of needing too many specialized crew to make it pay out half as well as an equally leveled generalist crew can earn from trading. The one upside is that it's a reliable source of rare trade goods that doesn't require you to know the right contact to get more. Just to, uh, sell them. So it's not even a real upside.

On the other hand, exploration is thematically cool and new contact cards seem to be about as common when exploring as when spying. Like spying and patrol, I'll take a look at the hand I'm dealt whenever I stop by a planet and decide if there's enough reward to risk some crew/component damage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheBlandName posted:

Exploration is a case of needing too many specialized crew to make it pay out half as well as an equally leveled generalist crew can earn from trading. The one upside is that it's a reliable source of rare trade goods that doesn't require you to know the right contact to get more. Just to, uh, sell them. So it's not even a real upside.

On the other hand, exploration is thematically cool and new contact cards seem to be about as common when exploring as when spying. Like spying and patrol, I'll take a look at the hand I'm dealt whenever I stop by a planet and decide if there's enough reward to risk some crew/component damage.

Yeah, the top reward being terrox xeno artifacts, a very difficult item to sell makes it tough even when you have a good setup for it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Picked this up awhile ago and only just got around to playing it and god drat I can already tell this is highly my poo poo.

Just lost my first captain because someone shot my ship so hard she sustained fatal injuries even though the ship itself was still perfectly spaceworthy and combat-capable. GOTY imho :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Space weapons are just something you use to soften up the enemy crew for your boarding attack. Duck, dodge, roll, whatever it takes to get you to zero range without undue and expensive damage to your ship. Nothing says "sustainable" like: rushing an allied ship, draining it of intel through spy aided boarding actions, taking their cargo and fuel, and only losing one reputation points thanks to your diplomat's Magnanimous Victory.

I always make sure my captain has good initiative stats and at least one combat class. The difference in Exp between sitting in the back and taking potshots with a sniper rifle and not is dramatic. My latest captain went all in on being a assassin after starting out as a zealot and tears enemy teams up.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
This game is awesome! I think I'm starting to gently caress up the story big time because I'm not really built for fighting but there's so much happening and so many cool systems.

Is the story the same regardless of what house you start as? What happens if you do a non-default map?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Don't know about non-default map, but the story is the same regardless of house start. They just pick a different antagonist house.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This game is great. Just wish enemy ships were willing to surrender instead of die every time, and boarding parties could continue fighting to force a fight on the bridge and take out the command staff. Otherwise, it's pretty much everything that I'd want.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This game is, indeed, awesome. Even if I really don't know what I'm doing.

Also, someone should make a game that is in an Age of Sale setting, so basically this + Sid Meier's Pirates. Maybe different ship combat mechanics (more like SM'sP!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This game is great. Just wish enemy ships were willing to surrender instead of die every time, and boarding parties could continue fighting to force a fight on the bridge and take out the command staff. Otherwise, it's pretty much everything that I'd want.

Responding to your post in the steam thread - I've been following the same main quest, but I did the opposite course - instead of screwing up the princess and ruining her influence, I faffed off to do some exploration, and by the time I got back the legal battle was all over...and assassins have been sent for poor Val. So I've accepted the mission to take her on as a crew and help hide her for a while, and it's been neat? Like, the game had so many courses for that main quest to go - and it's well-written, I like it!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Responding to your post in the steam thread - I've been following the same main quest, but I did the opposite course - instead of screwing up the princess and ruining her influence, I faffed off to do some exploration, and by the time I got back the legal battle was all over...and assassins have been sent for poor Val. So I've accepted the mission to take her on as a crew and help hide her for a while, and it's been neat? Like, the game had so many courses for that main quest to go - and it's well-written, I like it!

Genuinely, it's the Deus Ex Liberty Island approach. Every potential discrete failure and victory state appears to have been considered, and there's something for all of it. Because I've been agitating so much in the course of proving Val's innocence and averting a War of Assassins, I've instead triggered an all out war.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Genuinely, it's the Deus Ex Liberty Island approach. Every potential discrete failure and victory state appears to have been considered, and there's something for all of it. Because I've been agitating so much in the course of proving Val's innocence and averting a War of Assassins, I've instead triggered an all out war.

:allears:

I love this game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cool game but I found the combat (especially in space) to be pretty ehhhhhh

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

victrix posted:

Cool game but I found the combat (especially in space) to be pretty ehhhhhh

It's an odd mixture of simple and incredibly costly. Getting into a fight, especially in space, has been a losing prospects in every case I've played, even when I've dominated the fight.

I'm not sure this is bad, but it very much influences the feel of the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Conskill posted:

It's an odd mixture of simple and incredibly costly. Getting into a fight, especially in space, has been a losing prospects in every case I've played, even when I've dominated the fight.

See, I've never had trouble. Running the Bounty Hunter start, crippling enemy systems at max range and then sending in the redshirts to kill the whole crew. Worst damage I took has been 300 hull points.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Conskill posted:

Explorer start here, and while my ship is ehhh at combat, it excels at getting in close to other ships to put my crew onboard where I can kill everyone. The loot I obtain and ransoms make the combats worthwhile!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, one thing you need to realize about combat in this game is that boarding is king. Once you get past their redshirt combatants (especially if your officers have some kind of combat specs), you'll start taking out their gunners, pilots etc. Not only that, but you're also sabotaging their morale and components, and that's not taking into account your limited use boarding talents.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anyone have suggestions for new player starts?

I created a template with the intention of going Smuggler/Merchant/X.

A. Attributes
B. Skills
C. Ship (Galtak Freighter?)
D. Contacts (Merchant, Smuggler)
E. Experience (Smuggler)

16 Strength, 30 Charisma
22 Quickness, 22 Wisdom
26 Fortitude, 20 Resilience

3 Rifles, 2 Evasion
10 Negotiate

Feel like it's a solid start, especially if I manually assign crew talents so I can pick up all the auto pass check skills. Any comments on it?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I would have more quickness if you plan to fight in crew combat. Even if you go the sniper rifle route.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

habituallyred posted:

I would have more quickness if you plan to fight in crew combat. Even if you go the sniper rifle route.

I havent played enough to really get into crew combat. The rifle could be swapped for any other weapon. Stats still need to be adjusted?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Quickness determines your initiative roll in combat, and each move takes points away from it until every person is out of points. Increasing quickness not only lets you go first, it lets you go more often per turn.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This looks like it could work pretty drat well on the iPad. I know it’s still EA but what’s it built on? Unity ports pretty well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Their previous game was on phones, and basically a diet version of this. It was good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Man I wish I'd done the odd patrol job for slightly-unfriendly factions sooner, decent way to top off your rep after a few -1 encounters.

I'm at the point where I'm starting to look at new ships and they all seem pretty generic, which my googling tells me is a common perception. Anyone got any tips on which new hull to pick up? I've been kind of a jack-of-all-trades captain so far but I might start re-tooling my crew into espionage and smuggling.

My only complaint is the forced 1-round combat stuff feels way too punitive, especially when neither ship wants to be in the battle. Why are we inflicting $1k+ damages on each other when both ships retreat the first turn anyways, why is that even something you're forced into.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pleads posted:

Man I wish I'd done the odd patrol job for slightly-unfriendly factions sooner, decent way to top off your rep after a few -1 encounters.

I'm at the point where I'm starting to look at new ships and they all seem pretty generic, which my googling tells me is a common perception. Anyone got any tips on which new hull to pick up? I've been kind of a jack-of-all-trades captain so far but I might start re-tooling my crew into espionage and smuggling.

My only complaint is the forced 1-round combat stuff feels way too punitive, especially when neither ship wants to be in the battle. Why are we inflicting $1k+ damages on each other when both ships retreat the first turn anyways, why is that even something you're forced into.

I usually use a defensive talent and rarely end up getting hit at that range. One of the new patches coming down the line is the "fighter patch" which will rework ships in general, not just adding the eponymous fighters.

Cantorsdust posted:

Quickness determines your initiative roll in combat, and each move takes points away from it until every person is out of points. Increasing quickness not only lets you go first, it lets you go more often per turn.

Quickness is the most important crew combat ability by a significant amount. I would go so far as to say if you get common combat crew without at least 20 quickness i would fire them and keep getting new ones until you do, though I think later on officers make better crew combatants due to multiclassing(soldiers aside).

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
It might be worth that much micromanagement for pistoliers and swordsmen but maybe not for soldiers and snipers. Snipers are only going to get two shots off if they are mad optimized, and will be penalized on the next turn. A soldier with the full auto talent, a HMG, and ferocity will delete two guys a turn at the cost of any possible amount of initiative,

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I usually use a defensive talent and rarely end up getting hit at that range. One of the new patches coming down the line is the "fighter patch" which will rework ships in general, not just adding the eponymous fighters.

The fact that Templar Battleforce is still getting little balance tweaks makes these indy guys really endearing.

I'm just about to restart having plunged my crew into a negative morale spiral and fundamentally not covered some really important skills.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm a big fan of the Trese Brothers having played all their other games on mobile. I was going to hold out for this one to go mobile but I couldn't wait, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. Easily their best and most expansive game yet.

Still early going but the story is interesting and has gotten me invested, and the myriad of options means I'm actually in control of my game.

Great game so far, and I'm already day dreaming about a Firefly/Star Trek mod for it.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Just started playing this game and it's pretty fun, but there's NO MANUAL SAVING so its not for the faint of heart! You should really add that to the OP.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
All of my captians are disposable. Played for 4 hours then tossed when the new build releases. Starting the cycle all over again, going all groundhog day on Faen's family dram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
I'm having trouble with this story mission "Chasing suspicion"

I've been to both planets and there's nothing I can do at the spice hall of the first planet (Cadonya), and seemingly no mission objectives at the second planet (1.2 - criticorrum)

Help?