Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I'm having trouble with this story mission "Chasing suspicion"

I've been to both planets and there's nothing I can do at the spice hall of the first planet (Cadonya), and seemingly no mission objectives at the second planet (1.2 - criticorrum)

Help?

I imagine you have to spy from orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Latest backer update says they’re entering the final dev phase before it leaves EA, and it’s also the phase in which they start on the mobile ports!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Did you land on the planet? Is it a star with two planets? Usually it pops up in the bottom left if you need to spy from orbit or whatever. Separate pop up on the planet(s).

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

habituallyred posted:

Did you land on the planet? Is it a star with two planets? Usually it pops up in the bottom left if you need to spy from orbit or whatever. Separate pop up on the planet(s).

yep i got it, thanks.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Is this a sequel to the mobile game? I played the absolute poo poo out of that one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Is this a sequel to the mobile game? I played the absolute poo poo out of that one

Basically yeah.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I've bought this game and it's absolutely my poo poo. Peace.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Does this game have a win condition or a timer or anything?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Meridian posted:

Does this game have a win condition or a timer or anything?

All quests are on timers, the storyline quests included. That said, you don't lose the game or anything if you time out any of them, even the story ones; in the former case, you might lose some faction rep IIRC, as well as any associated rewards. In the latter case, the timers are fairly generous, and are mostly there to simulate an ever-changing universe- you won't lose out on anything but quest rewards if you decide to go off and become a space pirate or something.

EDIT: As for win conditions, it's still in EA, so those might be a while yet.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So I'm still learning the systems because they're crazy complicated and there's lots of options to spend all your resources to get really edge case advantages, but upgrading your equipment locker is a pretty big advantage for not much outlay.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

All quests are on timers, the storyline quests included. That said, you don't lose the game or anything if you time out any of them, even the story ones; in the former case, you might lose some faction rep IIRC, as well as any associated rewards. In the latter case, the timers are fairly generous, and are mostly there to simulate an ever-changing universe- you won't lose out on anything but quest rewards if you decide to go off and become a space pirate or something.

EDIT: As for win conditions, it's still in EA, so those might be a while yet.

I'm just wondering how to approach the game is all, if I need to be super time efficient and min max all my poo poo, or if I can just kind of chill and let things play out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Meridian posted:

I'm just wondering how to approach the game is all, if I need to be super time efficient and min max all my poo poo, or if I can just kind of chill and let things play out.

It's all about how much and what exactly you want to interact with, and to what degree.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Picked this up after discovering via steam chat and this thread. This is really a game meant for me; I can foresee many hours blitzed in it.Thanks for seed posted a bit back too and all the advice thus far, much appreciated.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Help a fellow spy out, I've been thinking about upgrading my ship from the Scout Cutter since I am finally lucking into lucrative contracts. What should I be getting in the 300k-400k range to maintain a high maneuver ship that either avoids fights or bumrushes for boarding actions? Or maybe I shouldn't bother because a more expensive ship just means my money is going to be spent repairing it?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

Following the storyline directly, you get sent through a couple of hostile systems; these can push your poo poo in a bit, so my next run (I found out the inevitable consequences of running out of fuel is being _really_ unpopular with your crew) is probably going to include a bit of sucking the marrow out of the first system you start in.

Trade's tend to refill _slowly_, so getting all of that poo poo done before moving on might help, but I'm not that far along.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, one thing you need to realize about combat in this game is that boarding is king. Once you get past their redshirt combatants (especially if your officers have some kind of combat specs), you'll start taking out their gunners, pilots etc. Not only that, but you're also sabotaging their morale and components, and that's not taking into account your limited use boarding talents.

I haven’t played the game in months, but I found brief success in running a fast, dodgy little ship. Got as many defensive/maneuver/boarding talents as I could, loaded up on short range weapons that do heavy damage to crew, and got whatever morale killing talents that were lying around. I’d fly in, jink enemy fire, and then stick to the bastards like a tick until they surrendered from crew or morale loss. It went well until a critical hit from a fat merchantman blew up my bridge, my captain, and most of my officers. Whoops!

Stay safe, kids; stay trading.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I don't see the fear over crew combat. I just "won" crew combat with all but one crew member "dead" and as far as I can tell the end result is the exact same as the time I won with everyone still at full health.

Also, I picked the bounty hunter template with the massive ship and I've absolutely crushed every space battle I've gotten into. It's kind of tedious with how many shots it takes to whittle away their ridiculous health pools.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Combat was definitely the weak link for me, I got bored of it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Okay, I'm starting to get really annoyed that there's no way to tell what the cargo capacity of a ship will be when you start. Especially since the top-end ship that is supposedly designed for combat carries exactly as much cargo (35) as the top-end ship that isn't. Which makes one wonder what exactly the difference between them is intended to be.

The third from the bottom ship carries even less cargo (25) than the top two. I know at least one of these ships has a good cargo capacity since the built-in template I selected at random for my first game had 50 cargo.

Edit: The fuel situation is even worse. The UI is actively misleading. Ships can burn different amounts of fuel per AU traveled so the Galtak Freighter with a fuel of 30 can actually travel farther than the Dragoon Cruiser which has 3 times as much fuel (90)!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 4, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LLSix posted:

Okay, I'm starting to get really annoyed that there's no way to tell what the cargo capacity of a ship will be when you start. Especially since the top-end ship that is supposedly designed for combat carries exactly as much cargo (35) as the top-end ship that isn't. Which makes one wonder what exactly the difference between them is intended to be.

The third from the bottom ship carries even less cargo (25) than the top two. I know at least one of these ships has a good cargo capacity since the built-in template I selected at random for my first game had 50 cargo.

Edit: The fuel situation is even worse. The UI is actively misleading. Ships can burn different amounts of fuel per AU traveled so the Galtak Freighter with a fuel of 30 can actually travel farther than the Dragoon Cruiser which has 3 times as much fuel (90)!

The stats are hidden through layers and layers of UI and what's worse is that many of them are traps in that they aren't the ones that really matter.

Cargo capacity is entirely a matter of the cargo modules you have installed, which any ship can have.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone done well with one of the more "peaceful" occupations? Things tend to be a slog when half the factions hate you and every time you leave a planet you're almost guaranteed to run into one of their ships. The only upside to this is when you're in a completely hostile system and you need more fuel to get out of it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone done well with one of the more "peaceful" occupations? Things tend to be a slog when half the factions hate you and every time you leave a planet you're almost guaranteed to run into one of their ships. The only upside to this is when you're in a completely hostile system and you need more fuel to get out of it.

I've been a spy, but I end up stabbing a lot of people while completing missions, even the spy ones. My ship is pretty good at running from fights I don't want, at least, which is most of them.

I think focusing on being a merchant properly would involve doing a lot of neutral missions and preventive patrols to keep relations with most everyone at 20+, which still incurs the very real possibility of space combat.

I also think in theory a peaceful character should start with contacts at A or B priority and use your wide network to keep relations up by doing their missions or to buy pardons.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
2 of the level 1 merchant traits grant contacts and you'll be drowning in them pretty quickly, even with contacts at D.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's all about getting to know a bunch of folks in different factions before pissing them off. Kinda wish there was a little time at the start before anything in the main questline starts rolling though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And new patch!

Update #79: New Heights posted:

Update #79 is a follow-up release to the newest Era but also contains another major milestone struck down from the v2.3.x family! We've also added 6 new rank 15 Talents and started the first improvements on a new round of changes to the starport upgrade screens.

Raised Level Cap
First, we've raised the character level cap from 32 to 40 and the maximum job rank from 30 to 32 for all jobs. This allows your veteran captains, officers and crew to keep climbing in ability, even if there progression naturally slows as they become all the more elite in their task. This will probably not be the last time we raise the level cap, but as we have introduced more and more content into the game, it is the right time to crank the cap up to 40.

Rank 15: Reset the Cards
Of course, new max level cap should come with new high power Talents! We've introduced 6 new Talents with this release, each related to one of the card games -- Explore, Spy, Patrol, Blockade and Black Market Access. Each of these Talents gives you the ability to completely discard the 5 cards you've been dealt in the card game and get a fresh hand. This is especially perfect for your exploration runs when 2 Xeno cards come up and you can't face them, or if you have 100 illegal units of narcotic spice you are trying to get to the Black Market and two Confiscation cards are drawn.

Plague Improvements
We waited a few days to gather as much feedback as we could on the Plague Era before dropping this major update -- which contains a huge package of improvements, balances and new content for the 5th story era.

We've added a new mission type to the Chaesin list of offered missions -- one that sends your Captain straight to zones affected by Infections and Outbreaks with medical deliveries. We've also improved the description of all plague rumors to be more clear about the potential benefits of delivering medicine there. We've expanded the Rep bonuses to Outbreaks as well as Infection Rumors as well. Even more ways to benefit from the plague as a medical dispensary!

We fixed issues with Trait Mutation and bad text in the event logs and got any change to the plague score lodged in your Captain's Log so you can always check where you are at.

Linked Components
We've now added a visual designation to those components slots that are built into a hull's superstructure and cannot have their type changed. At the moment, this only includes the Void Engine, Bridge and Hyperwarp Drive but as we move into the next phase of ship design and launching fighters, this will become a more prevalent and common factor.

v2.3.3 - 7/4/2018
- Character level cap raised from 32 to 40 -- captain, officers and crew advance!
- All Job level caps raised from 30 to 32 -- additional skill points
- Added 6 new rank 15 Job Talents for Explorer, Smuggler, Pirate, Spy, Zealot, Military Officer
- New Talents can reroll the entire hand of cards in Explore/Blockade/Patrol/Spy/Black Market
- Plague Era: new special mission type features delivery of medical supplies to Infected / Outbreak zones
- Plague Era: clarified Rumor descriptions, unless you stop them First Infection Rumors always become Outbreaks
- Plague Era: when Infection Rumor converts into Outbreak Rumor in Plague Era, new Rumor now immediately visible
- Plague Era: can also gain Reputation bonuses for 10+ deliveries of medicines to zones with Outbreak Rumor
- Plague Era: any change to the plague score is now recorded in your Captain's Log
- Plague Era: fixed bugs and typos with the Flighty Ex-Merc storyline
- Plague Era: fixed Trait Mutation issues and "ERROR" text, improved overall balance
- Bridge, Void Engine and Hyperwarp Drive components are now marked as linked-by-type, as they can only be replaced by the same type
- Fixed bug preventing some Spy/Patrol/Blockade missions to get stuck without option to go forward
- Fixed issues with opening subscreens on landing zone and odd click behavior
- Rebalanced Gunnery Skill requirement for early levels of Ship Missile Weapons
- Fixed bugs with Smuggler's Hideout Talent

I haven't gotten to the Plague Era yet or even close to the level cap, but I appreciate the UI work on ship components.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What difficulty are people playing on? I've tried normal and found it was trivially easy, but moving up to hard I get immediately destroyed whenever I move into a sector that's even vaguely hostile. I inevitably encounter a ship I have no option to surrender to, consistently fail an escape roll on every turn and, if I'm lucky, get forced to surrender due to pilot/engine loss before dropping to 0 hull. Then I'm basically trapped in a failure cycle having lost half my crew and out of pocket extensive repair and healing costs. I'm generally trying to follow the Faen quest; is that not a good idea on harder difficulties?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

As far as I can tell, there's no timer on picking up the arbiter to start the first quest as long as you never visit the world she's on. So you could fly off and level up for twenty years before trying to take on the main quest.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

For my next character I fully intend to pick her up and then keep her on my ship or lose her and see if the game reacts to that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ZearothK posted:

For my next character I fully intend to pick her up and then keep her on my ship or lose her and see if the game reacts to that.

There is a timer for delivering her once you pick her up, but I've missed some of the story mission deadlines by a few months a time or two without any obvious major negatives.

And, obviously, she takes up a passenger space on your ship which means losing one of your ship component slots for no return.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LLSix posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no timer on picking up the arbiter to start the first quest as long as you never visit the world she's on. So you could fly off and level up for twenty years before trying to take on the main quest.

When I tried this, the faen conspiracy sister showed up on the third planet I visited to tell me that the arbiter had hitched another ride to the faen court but I was welcome to go there to get missions. Additionally, when I tried taking the arbiter mission then waiting until the last moment to complete it, she actually got pissed off a few weeks in and left, making her own way to the faens (that annoyed me a bit because for that particular mission the deadline is a straight up lie)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, one thing I like about Star Traders (but took some getting used to) is how the world WILL progress with or without you. It makes the whole universe seem more alive, but it is a bit of a kick once you realize that you're not the centre of the universe. Just like in real life :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, one thing I like about Star Traders (but took some getting used to) is how the world WILL progress with or without you. It makes the whole universe seem more alive, but it is a bit of a kick once you realize that you're not the centre of the universe. Just like in real life :v:

I thought I could win the Assassins Duel through non-faen missions. I honestly thought "36 conflict score in 2 years, no problem"

T H E H U B R I S

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah last time I checked it was impossible to destroy whats her name, the Faen's arch nemesis through plain old missions. A few patches ago the missions were worth hundreds of thousands each thanks to how much the prince loved me and a few talents.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I'm a weird dummy and actually like the crew combat. Any good spy builds with that in mind?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BBJoey posted:

When I tried this, the faen conspiracy sister showed up on the third planet I visited to tell me that the arbiter had hitched another ride to the faen court but I was welcome to go there to get missions. Additionally, when I tried taking the arbiter mission then waiting until the last moment to complete it, she actually got pissed off a few weeks in and left, making her own way to the faens (that annoyed me a bit because for that particular mission the deadline is a straight up lie)

Okay, then I guess I have to figure out a way to lose her to pirates or something.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
How many years of story does the game have? Ive never even made it past the duel of assassins stage or whatever. When I saw patch notes about a 'plague era' I was pretty boggled.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bonds0097 posted:

How many years of story does the game have? Ive never even made it past the duel of assassins stage or whatever. When I saw patch notes about a 'plague era' I was pretty boggled.

I am in 227 and after the duel-of-assassins phase there was a Second Founding Era about a decade in and I am currently in the Early Coalition Era. They change some of the background elements, the kind of encounters you have, the missions you are likely to receive, the relationships factions are likely to develop with each other and the events you get on planets. I don't know how many more there are between where I am and the Plague Era, which is supposed to start around 300, I think?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How do people weigh up the choice to upgrade vs replace their ship? Starting in the trusty frontier liner, should I be upgrading my ship regularly or buying the bare essentials (namely an upgraded weapons locker) until I can get a 6000 tonner?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

BBJoey posted:

How do people weigh up the choice to upgrade vs replace their ship? Starting in the trusty frontier liner, should I be upgrading my ship regularly or buying the bare essentials (namely an upgraded weapons locker) until I can get a 6000 tonner?
I'd go for the weap locker first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I kept with my Scout Cutter, upgrading it, until I naturally had about 600k in the bank, when I upgraded to the Raptor. Note that if you're used to an upgraded ship you will want to spend about 200k after buying it to upgrade its stuff, but it's definitely worth it. Do note that I am still on my third character (and my only long-term one, since the others died or went bankrupt in the first five years), so I am in no shape or form a master in this game.

Also, I travelled all the way to the main quest contact of the third era and I can't talk to her because of civil unrest on the planet, so I guess no plot missions for this season!