Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Mukaikubo posted:

I also think I wish there was either an autosave or the game would commit to being a full roguelike, because I hate just running into an unwinnable, can't-retreat-can't-surrender-can't-hit-them-can't-close encounted and having my game end and realizing the last time I made a save slot was over an hour ago. I tend to just delete the character when that happens because it's so dispiriting. I also looked up my old files and the furthest I've ever gotten is level 11 and just barely into the second era thingy. :joy: Even on the absolute minimum difficulty I just get absolutely shitwrecked by everything. I think I don't understand what I'm supposed to be upgrading to what on my ship and what is and isn't important, possibly because the game just throws screens of numbers at you with minimal guidance as to what a "smart" build is.
Yea, same happened to me too just yesterday :/

On lower difficulties, dying is not the end though - when your ship is destroyed you just get a "this WOULD have been the END if you werent playing in babby mode" message, eat a repair bill, and can continue to learn the game.
There are also some (I think navigator? or pilot?) skills that allow you to evade ship encounters completely - great stuff for those xeno ship encounters.

And a different question: is it really not possible to move upgraded ship components to a new ship? Because if I have to upgrade the new one from scratch, it will get very expensive :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Might be a case of missing specialization.

Do you want to make big bucks trading? Add that third cargo hold and stack engine/talents/maybe ship components that let you escape confrontations more easily. Remove weapons.

Want to take ships by boarding (which is very powerful)? Pop a defensive talent first, dont fire (you need a certain amount of unused reactor points to even be able to change distance), add talents that increase you chance to change distance, esp. use that talent that allows you to start boarding from range 3.
Also spec your officers into 2 combat jobs + 1 ship job for this, and get talents that you can use to actually do damage after a successful boarding action).
This post has a great summary regarding boarding: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3856470&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post520181157

Want to fight straight up? No idea, never did that.