Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I usually use a defensive talent and rarely end up getting hit at that range. One of the new patches coming down the line is the "fighter patch" which will rework ships in general, not just adding the eponymous fighters.

The fact that Templar Battleforce is still getting little balance tweaks makes these indy guys really endearing.

I'm just about to restart having plunged my crew into a negative morale spiral and fundamentally not covered some really important skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So I'm still learning the systems because they're crazy complicated and there's lots of options to spend all your resources to get really edge case advantages, but upgrading your equipment locker is a pretty big advantage for not much outlay.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LLSix posted:

Okay, I'm starting to get really annoyed that there's no way to tell what the cargo capacity of a ship will be when you start. Especially since the top-end ship that is supposedly designed for combat carries exactly as much cargo (35) as the top-end ship that isn't. Which makes one wonder what exactly the difference between them is intended to be.

The third from the bottom ship carries even less cargo (25) than the top two. I know at least one of these ships has a good cargo capacity since the built-in template I selected at random for my first game had 50 cargo.

Edit: The fuel situation is even worse. The UI is actively misleading. Ships can burn different amounts of fuel per AU traveled so the Galtak Freighter with a fuel of 30 can actually travel farther than the Dragoon Cruiser which has 3 times as much fuel (90)!

The stats are hidden through layers and layers of UI and what's worse is that many of them are traps in that they aren't the ones that really matter.

Cargo capacity is entirely a matter of the cargo modules you have installed, which any ship can have.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It feels initially overwhelming but you'll quickly realise after a couple of false starts that individual skills really only matter for crew combat (and that's easy enough, pick a weapon and pick skills that work best for that position), what you need to keep track of are the skills for the crew as a whole and that while there are lots of different named skills they all actually pool together into a smaller band of groups (ie. free skill checks, ship combat buffs, debuffs etc).

Failing a skill check when in space hurts because of the drains on hp/damage/morale so it's good to build up a buffer of 2-3 per check.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For character creation I recommend getting the best ship and dumping your starting level and contacts (xp comes fast, if you are doing the main plot there's plenty of missions without you needing more people to give you some).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

frogge posted:

Dunno if anyone is still playing this, but wow the difficulty curve between permadeath and normal is wild. I haven't had any captains last a year with p.d., while in my other playthrough I'm getting to late game stuff.

I'm still noticing the weekly patch where some presumably ridiculous amount of content is being added and I'm sure I'll come back to play at some point.