Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The main complaint I have with this game is that dice pools are terrible for generating fun odds and you're almost always either in an unwinnable state or an autowin state past the very early game.

The hint I have for ship combat - pick your range and stick to it. The starter ships have weapons for all ranges but that is dumb. You want one set of guns and as many boosting modules as you can get.

Your ship's skill pool is limited by how many components it has and those are very very important. You want to max out the strong die for whatever range you're fighting at.

https://startraders.fandom.com/wiki/Ship_Combat

Notably, you will notice that electronics is god stat early game because it governs defense and retreating, you will want to note what your electronics cap is both really low and overcapped, you will get a huge bang for your buck by upgrading components that give you more electronics. Generally, if you ever get to 200% staffing on a set of skills, you will want to upgrade components for those skills. Upgrade components - it's a big deal.

Tactics and command are special in that they don't get capped by ship components so you can stack those infinitely but that just means late game you want tons of extra commander/military officer crew chilling on the ship.

The same goes for crew combat, there's a good steam guide on that, but the general idea is that defending against swords is blades + parry as their strong die. This means that late game xenos will rip apart gunners in the front line because gunners don't have blades + parry and they can't instant kill xenos. So you need two tank swordsman officers focused on raising the blades skill to have a chance.

Edit: in ship combat in particular you should be able to see what die the enemy is rolling, if your enemy has a lot more strong die on you, you're probably in a dead man walking state

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thinking of trying this out again. I played a while ago but was just constantly getting wrecked as I had no idea what to specialize in and kept on clicking on stuff that sounded cool. Turns out it's a bad idea to spy or smuggle without any experience and exploration involves actual combat :v:

Anyways, are there any consequences for ignoring the main quest? Or is it something I should be prioritizing for newbie friendly missions?

The first main quest is funnily enough the opposite of newbie friendly, they actively recommend you to steer away from it. It has a lot of forced ship and crew combat which will kill you if you're not prepared.

Newbie friendly approach is stick to trading/quests until you have a warchest built up. The arbiter questline is much friendlier in comparison as well.

In general there are few timed era quests that will give you cool rep bonuses and contacts but nothing that important. There are vignettes that pop up around that give you the best crew combat gear, those are worth keeping an eye out for.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Nice, thanks. I've just been running some missions and doing planet exploration and trading on the side for a bit.

Is there a search function for planets? I would love to be able to find a location by its name as well as search for the nearest planet types (industrial, luxury etc).

Yeah, there's a planet filter in the map screen - its a good idea to find a planet with high starport and military values because those are the only places some top tier engines and weapons can be found.

The thing to keep an eye out on more than type is to look out for low trade law planets - those let you buy/sell the more expensive commodities without expensive licenses. Indie planets tend to have low trade law so you can shuttle all sorts of goodies through them that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.