Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Did your screen look like this? The highlighted area is where your actions are listed:

If you didn't see it then your game might be bugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, one thing you need to realize about combat in this game is that boarding is king. Once you get past their redshirt combatants (especially if your officers have some kind of combat specs), you'll start taking out their gunners, pilots etc. Not only that, but you're also sabotaging their morale and components, and that's not taking into account your limited use boarding talents.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Meridian posted:

Does this game have a win condition or a timer or anything?

All quests are on timers, the storyline quests included. That said, you don't lose the game or anything if you time out any of them, even the story ones; in the former case, you might lose some faction rep IIRC, as well as any associated rewards. In the latter case, the timers are fairly generous, and are mostly there to simulate an ever-changing universe- you won't lose out on anything but quest rewards if you decide to go off and become a space pirate or something.

EDIT: As for win conditions, it's still in EA, so those might be a while yet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, one thing I like about Star Traders (but took some getting used to) is how the world WILL progress with or without you. It makes the whole universe seem more alive, but it is a bit of a kick once you realize that you're not the centre of the universe. Just like in real life :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ahahaha, you losers actually give a poo poo about some minor dynastic house when the Arbiter is the only one with her mind on the greater goal. Seriously though, I'm not sure there are enough in-game years to do both, assuming the storyline allows for it. Or maybe I'm just poo poo at the game, who knows :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ahahaha look at you scrubs siding with a single corrupt family in a galaxy full of them. Arbiter Brokstrom all the way, baby!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's how I play, yeah, even on my first time. As a general rule though, your first and second skills for most classes should be skills that automatically pass checks. Also, the number of people whom you need to pick skills for can vary wildly depending on the priority your class gives to crew skills and ship size (your starting ship is automatically filled to adequate capacity); you can see this in action when creating a custom class.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you're not closing in to Ranges 1-2 (maybe 3 if you have that awesome Gunnery talent) to board and plunder an enemy ship of fuel, crew and data, then you're not much of a Star Trader I think :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm actually kind of glad they're putting story beats ahead of fighters; I really want to run a carrier, and having an expanded universe to putter around in sounds exciting!

EDIT: No, wait, I must've got my news wires crossed somewhere :shobon: Fighters first, then story stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DON'T CARE I'MMA CHEAT MYSELF A BILLION ZILLION CREDITS AT GAME STARTS JUST GIMME MY BEAUTIFUL CARRIERS :hawaaaafap:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I followed the Arbiter's storyline because noble feuds are stupid and I have greater responsibilities :colbert: Mind you, I also play on a teeny-tiny map so her quest's a lot easier on me than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZearothK posted:

Hey, Nextfest has a demo for Cyber Knights, Treese Brother's next full release. Just leaving that out here since I imagine fellow veteran poop haulers would be interested.

Oh hey, the demo's out! Gonna try it come the weekend to be sure!