Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ive tried to use a greater variety of skills durring my few crew combats, but I keep going to my comfort favorites. Burst fire fir soldiers, pinning shot for pistoleer, balanced blade for blades(wo)man.

Anybody got any tips or feelings about crew combat in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
All of my captians are disposable. Played for 4 hours then tossed when the new build releases. Starting the cycle all over again, going all groundhog day on Faen's family dram.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, one thing I like about Star Traders (but took some getting used to) is how the world WILL progress with or without you. It makes the whole universe seem more alive, but it is a bit of a kick once you realize that you're not the centre of the universe. Just like in real life :v:

I thought I could win the Assassins Duel through non-faen missions. I honestly thought "36 conflict score in 2 years, no problem"

T H E H U B R I S

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
People will never discrace their gaming pride by playing on "normal" or "basic".

I play on normal cuz I want a space game where consequences arnt so harsh and we can all have a chill time trucking through space. How is the gameplay loop made more satisfying in the higher difficulty levels? Should I move on up?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This game is obnoxiously addictive, even though I suck at it.

Is the narrative worth doing? The story is cringe-worthy.

The cringe is part of the genre. This is from the Dune school of SPAAAAAAACE being future feudalism with psychics and warp carriers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pick a aspect to pay attention to. Let that inform your gameplay loop and your next steps. When picking talents focus on advantages you can immidiately leverage. Let all the mechanics wash over you.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ravendas posted:

I just bought this, started it up and clicked the 'pick all talents' option for advanced users or somesuch. Figured I'm an advanced guy, why not.

You start with a ton of people, all of which start with a talent to choose it seems. Should I really be handpicking everyones talents like this?

The autopick default is... Fine. It is not optimal. When I do starts where crew starts at lvl 1 or 2 I keep it default. If I set exp high, then I cherry pick skills for synergies for the next level up. But if it a chore to engage with, picking statsaves is a safe choice.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I honestly feel like 25% of my talent picks are wasted due to being too situational and specific, then not doing those activities those talents are for. My framing sevice to pick talents is to ask myself "will I actually do the mechanics of this action now or in the next two hours". With that in mind, jumping skills, landing skills, specific ship manuvers I will use in the first 3 turns of combat, and skillsave talents. Retrain your engineer to give you the cheaper ships or upgrades immidiately befors you purchase the thing, then retain back to something useful later.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Agreed. The faction minimum is also just too low. The only meaningful difference between being -1000 and -50 is that you have to pay millions more to reset it at -1000. I actually like the initial slide where engagements become a gamble or a guaranteed fight depending on the ship, and then they start to cut off planetary services, etc. But once you can't even buy gas, what's the difference? -400 or even -200 would be a more appropriate minimum with how quests and other stuff are set up currently. "Redemption" missions with heavier faction rewards but less cash might be an interesting way to help this aspect of the game as well.

Post this to the Steam forums. The Terese bros dont read this thread, but they read EVERY thread on the game page.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I only ever need my Soldiers for their level 1 back attack. Usually they make it to the level 5 skill that boarding skill that does crew damage post battle.

If they die thats a bummer, but I usually hold 3 at a time anyways. My only officer that I intend to put in combat is my doctor.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pvt.Scott posted:

Star Traders dating sim when?

But the contact system was in from the start???

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, saw that on the steam update. If ST:F is "Dune/Traveller" then their new product looks like a Necromunda homebrew.

I am fuckin down.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Steel song 4 lyfe.

The load out posted seems nice, disposable, perfect for the contractor achievement.

I haven't played default map since the start. I have like 4 rotating Galaxy seeds so I never really know where I am.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

willing to settle posted:

Yeah me either, but for your first run having the most experienced crew possible is the least "oh god what's happening".

Yeah, when all my crew is like level 5 then I don't have an activity log that screams red and -health at me while I'm doing legal Lyft for mah boi Big Prince Feyn. The ship just works.

The optimal thing path is to chuck experience to E so you can leverage high attributes in the mid game. Or skills. I forget the math behind which is better number, but I chose attributes a long time ago. I dunno, the mechanics kinda wash over me sometimes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My first post since watching Dune. But holy gently caress this is a good Dune game. Just *chefkiss*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good write-up thanks