Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thinking of trying this out again. I played a while ago but was just constantly getting wrecked as I had no idea what to specialize in and kept on clicking on stuff that sounded cool. Turns out it's a bad idea to spy or smuggle without any experience and exploration involves actual combat :v:

Anyways, are there any consequences for ignoring the main quest? Or is it something I should be prioritizing for newbie friendly missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

The first main quest is funnily enough the opposite of newbie friendly, they actively recommend you to steer away from it. It has a lot of forced ship and crew combat which will kill you if you're not prepared.

Newbie friendly approach is stick to trading/quests until you have a warchest built up. The arbiter questline is much friendlier in comparison as well.

In general there are few timed era quests that will give you cool rep bonuses and contacts but nothing that important. There are vignettes that pop up around that give you the best crew combat gear, those are worth keeping an eye out for.

Nice, thanks. I've just been running some missions and doing planet exploration and trading on the side for a bit.

Is there a search function for planets? I would love to be able to find a location by its name as well as search for the nearest planet types (industrial, luxury etc).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Yeah, there's a planet filter in the map screen - its a good idea to find a planet with high starport and military values because those are the only places some top tier engines and weapons can be found.

The thing to keep an eye out on more than type is to look out for low trade law planets - those let you buy/sell the more expensive commodities without expensive licenses. Indie planets tend to have low trade law so you can shuttle all sorts of goodies through them that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Ahh nice, I was wondering how I was supposed to sell all the illegal crud I have stashed from exploring.

This thread is 100x more helpful than the wiki. I'm actually really getting into the game this time around. Although I still think the start is overtuned. I get that the player is supposed to start from scratch but in practice that means paying a grind tax before engaging in the fun gameplay.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I complain, but I also play the poo poo out of the Egosoft X games which have an equal amount of impenetrable bullshit so maybe I'm just a masochist :v: