Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This game owns and I keep losing because I insist on playing it with permadeath, but eventually I’ll get good.

People mentioned stiff salute and it’s really good, but early on if you keep a crew slot empty you have a chance of getting a stowaway event that lets you recruit a smuggler. Now a high level smuggler talent is one that lets you get out of any type of ship combat at the cost of one item in your cargo hold. So if you’re carrying various stacks of 1 item (biomass, scrap, wheat) then you have a good chance of not throwing anything valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It doesn't help that the only way to get the meta-progression is to play on hard difficulty because the game doesn't register achievements in anything below that. And hard is ironman, which is a very punishing way to play for a new player just trying to unlock the bigger trade ship.