Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've replaced my crippling Stellaris addiction with a crippling this addiction.

:peanut:

E: Even after two+ years starting officer generation is so loving bad. At least they made the crew default to "sort by job". Still insufficient control over galaxy generation, the personal/faction reputation still a PITA to manage, Roaring Barrels still the best crew combat by a country mile an AU, the introductory quest tree path-dependents you like a motherfucker: I remember why I love/hate this game so much...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was thinking about this game and I realized that a lot of the talents remind me of the problems with the Feat Trees in D&D 3.x (e.g. the shot/chaser thing that Exo-Scouts get where you use a marker to put a huge plasma damage weakness then you hit them with the plasma burner): They're a really cool idea, but the marker trait is like L5 and the burner trait is L8 and by that point your character probably has access to easier damage options and having to set up a 1/2 like that is chancy.

Also, the Xeno Hunter is new since the last time I played a lot and goddamn is the L1 Grenade talent overpowered.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pvt.Scott posted:

The Feud storyline isn’t too bad if you have a patrol, blockade or spy setup. If you’re going to a planet and you’re going to piss them off, blockade or spy on their rivals, or chase off pirates at all of their systems en route. I think the worst thing about following the Feud is that you need a pretty generalist crew pretty early. You’ll be doing pretty much every kind of mission, from exploration and ground combat, to diplomacy, espionage and more.
I don’t think I’ve ever started the arbiter missions because it starts so far away.

I play on permadeath though, so I’ve never gotten super far into the game.

It feels like the starter quest is a nice demo (because, like you say, it gives a sampler plate of everything) but not a great start to playing the game itself, if that makes any sense?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll be honest, I always follow the Blood Feud through and do the Eric branch so I can kill whats-her-name's son because in the first mission it's like: "I'm here bodyguarding for a loving Zendu and you have the audacity to drag my name with your lovely faction because of that? No. That's not how Shalun instructs us. gently caress you and gently caress your kid."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I can barely stand to play this on a 12-quad map (with the map speed at double), I literally cannot imagine playing on the recommended 20-28 (much less the max 40).

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish I could extract whatever thingy they use to name systems and make it part of the namelist in Stellaris.