Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What difficulty are people playing on? I've tried normal and found it was trivially easy, but moving up to hard I get immediately destroyed whenever I move into a sector that's even vaguely hostile. I inevitably encounter a ship I have no option to surrender to, consistently fail an escape roll on every turn and, if I'm lucky, get forced to surrender due to pilot/engine loss before dropping to 0 hull. Then I'm basically trapped in a failure cycle having lost half my crew and out of pocket extensive repair and healing costs. I'm generally trying to follow the Faen quest; is that not a good idea on harder difficulties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LLSix posted:

As far as I can tell, there's no timer on picking up the arbiter to start the first quest as long as you never visit the world she's on. So you could fly off and level up for twenty years before trying to take on the main quest.

When I tried this, the faen conspiracy sister showed up on the third planet I visited to tell me that the arbiter had hitched another ride to the faen court but I was welcome to go there to get missions. Additionally, when I tried taking the arbiter mission then waiting until the last moment to complete it, she actually got pissed off a few weeks in and left, making her own way to the faens (that annoyed me a bit because for that particular mission the deadline is a straight up lie)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

How do people weigh up the choice to upgrade vs replace their ship? Starting in the trusty frontier liner, should I be upgrading my ship regularly or buying the bare essentials (namely an upgraded weapons locker) until I can get a 6000 tonner?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

I play on the difficulty with permadeath and I pretty much come in here after I lose an 8+ hour guy. It's true.

If only there were a solution to this problem, but I guess not