Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This game is great. Just wish enemy ships were willing to surrender instead of die every time, and boarding parties could continue fighting to force a fight on the bridge and take out the command staff. Otherwise, it's pretty much everything that I'd want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Responding to your post in the steam thread - I've been following the same main quest, but I did the opposite course - instead of screwing up the princess and ruining her influence, I faffed off to do some exploration, and by the time I got back the legal battle was all over...and assassins have been sent for poor Val. So I've accepted the mission to take her on as a crew and help hide her for a while, and it's been neat? Like, the game had so many courses for that main quest to go - and it's well-written, I like it!

Genuinely, it's the Deus Ex Liberty Island approach. Every potential discrete failure and victory state appears to have been considered, and there's something for all of it. Because I've been agitating so much in the course of proving Val's innocence and averting a War of Assassins, I've instead triggered an all out war.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Conskill posted:

It's an odd mixture of simple and incredibly costly. Getting into a fight, especially in space, has been a losing prospects in every case I've played, even when I've dominated the fight.

I'm not sure this is bad, but it very much influences the feel of the game.

See, I've never had trouble. Running the Bounty Hunter start, crippling enemy systems at max range and then sending in the redshirts to kill the whole crew. Worst damage I took has been 300 hull points.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Meridian posted:

I'm just wondering how to approach the game is all, if I need to be super time efficient and min max all my poo poo, or if I can just kind of chill and let things play out.

It's all about how much and what exactly you want to interact with, and to what degree.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's all about getting to know a bunch of folks in different factions before pissing them off. Kinda wish there was a little time at the start before anything in the main questline starts rolling though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

There could be more to it. I mean, it's space there isn't anything slowing down your weaponry. Or a boarding action thereafter would be fun. But getting engine OHKO is not fun.

Eh, my only issue is not having surrender as an option for enemy ships. I'd even accept an honor duel of captains who want to protect their most valuable asset (their ship) over their own lives. I think the engine thing is fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

I actually quite like the combat system, at least when I can really engage with it, but I'm really at a loss on how to set up my playthrough around it. Spying and trading are pretty secure sources of cash, but when I try the combat-focused classes like pirate and military officer I can't get the playthrough off the ground. Any fights I really commit to generally mean heavy costs for repairs and crew damage, and maintaining those big ships and crews with early game income isn't cheap either.

Has anyone managed to get going at a decent difficulty level while getting into the thick of combat from the beginning?

You'll get mad stacks of cash once there's a solar war going. Until then, you're not worth much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Why does everyone want dumb 40k names for everything?

Presumably because they enjoy 40k, find the rogue trader aspects of 40k the most interesting, and while happy to have this as a good game in that style they still want it to more directly scratch that itch on an aesthetic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe. I don't want the game to literally forcefully end at some point, but I would like a 'main quest' with some sort of conclusion that I can ignore while I dick around forever. It's a psychological thing.

Think of each era as its own main quest with endings. Kinda like an MMO's expansions.