Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Zotix posted:

Is there any kind of meta game with the weapons I should know about?

Also, where do I see a # total of my current crew. I know I can recruit one in the starport, but I couldn't before. So something happened to someone somewhere I'm guessing. I know if I hit the pilot head looking icon it'll show each crew one by one, but I'm just looking for somewhere that shows a numerical total of my total crew.

In the recruit screen, on the right side, there are a bunch of bars for your crew efficiency. The top two are for officers and total crew.

I just got this game a few days ago and it's very fun but the ui could be a little clearer sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I got this game a while back (around update 80, I think), and kept bouncing off of it because I would end up with no money in a system dominated by a hostile faction, and couldn't refuel or pay my crew, and it would just spiral into everybody leaving.

I picked it up again last week and made my own Merchant template with Attributes and Contacts as my top two priorities, did Arbiter Brokstrom's mission to investigate the bombing (there's a "spy for Arbiter points" option when you're in orbit around the planet that I never noticed before), then basically told the prince to gently caress off, and used Estelle and my network of contacts to become a free trader. House Thulun hates me, but I'm at least neutral with everyone else, and have trade permits and military rank for most of the other factions.

Obviously, my starting faction is Moklomune, but one of my contacts was a Zenarin fixer. He had a plan to become a Smuggler Prince, which would result in destabilizing "two" worlds (I use quotes because they were both the same world, an Independent Population center), but I needed to go stash a bunch of spice and kill some guys for him first. I made a bunch of money by having stashed a bunch of trade-license-required goods (and some stuff they just had high demand for, like clothes and basic meds) on a nearby wilderness planet. Now I have more rep with Zenarin than I do with Moklomune. I've got a bunch of talents to avoid combat when bribery/acknowledgement won't work (and the "board from anywhere during missions" talent so I can gently caress dudes up from as far away as possible when I absolutely need to fight), and the "free escape" talent for when a xeno ship finds me. I have a mid-range freighter ship (5 officers, 30 crew) that I stripped a couple guns off so I can fit more cargo (up to 90 capacity now). I also have the officer from the grounded star trader guy (the heirloom sword quest) and the smuggler with a fancy hat that I can't take off her (she's not an officer! only officers get hats!).

Also, gently caress xenos. I've had two ground fights with them, and they've both ended very poorly, with at most two out of four xenos dead, and at least one crew death for me each time (that might just be automatic if you lose a ground combat).

Now that I've actually gotten into it and have a character who actually survived past level 10 (up to 30 now), this is a pretty fun game, now that I'm not struggling for every credit and have more than 25 cargo space (pretty sure those two are connected :) ). I'm in whatever era is after the Crimson Pox, I think, and at least one of my contacts is a Coalition Representative, who offers a universal pardon - I might use that to get Thulun off my back once I get a few hundred thousand more credits so I can buy and upgrade a Broadsword.

tl;dr: game is good. I probably spelled some names wrong.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 27, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Stairmaster posted:

is there a way to make educated guess on what goods are in demand on a planet besides knowing the mining to industry to population cycle?

If you've been there before, the atlas (which isn't limited to being local anymore!) that shows all the zones in the system (globe icon) will tell you what they're selling, what they're looking for (A-F), and the trade law, as of the last time you were there (which it also tells you). If not, then Dalaram's post is more detailed than mine would have been. :)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Cyber Knights is cool because it's a cyberpunk game set in New Boston and one of the factions is the Fenian Brotherhood. There are other factions, but why would anyone want to work for the Yakuza or Generic Megacorp #45 instead of the Fenians? I hope they're still the 'starter' faction in the new Cyber Knights.

Also, if anyone hasn't played the old version of Cyber Knights, it's a free mobile game (there's an Elite upgrade for like 4 bucks, so you can give the Trese Brothers a little money that way), and it plays a lot like the Genesis Shadowrun game (except combat is turn-based) - do jobs for your Fenian connectors (fixers/johnsons) to make money to get better gear to do bigger jobs to make more money, etc. It's a good mobile game, and I'm excited to see how the new version will turn out.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Cyber Knights demo is pretty good, if limited in what you get to do. It's also gotten at least 2 patches already, because it's a Trese Brothers game. :)

Trese Brothers, Introversion, and Klei are pretty much the only devs where "early access" isn't a big red flag, imo.