Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Patrat posted:

I bought this game, I have spent an unreasonable number of hours playing this game.

I also ran around roughshod murdering people in a cruiser, spent a million credits upgrading it, then about half an inch out of port I was caught by either lucky or very bad-rear end bounty hunters who mercilessly smashed my ship apart, boarded, then executed the runaway noble heir I was supposedly safeguarding as part of an elaborate tapestry of betrayal and politics. Ooops.

Having dumped a similarly ungodly number of hours into this game, it’s never enemy boarding, and rarely ship to ship combat that craters me, but one shithead getting a lucky crust to the engines on their only hit that connects and disables that that kills me. Like, what loving good is 2400 hull if a scot with a torp and a prayer can bring me to an end?

While I now love this game, there’s some odds and ends grievances I’ve compiled:

- Trade wars. There is no explanation for how they get started, or how they end, and why the gently caress can’t I just sell into a trade war, and take the rep hit?

- Trade legal status. I already have to have loving permits to sell poo poo, why do I have to find hoodlum planets to sell poo poo too? And why can’t I ever find a lux pop that doesn’t have 8 law? On that note -

- I wish there was a way to permanently affect planet properties. Blockades should long term affect economy, with enough success. Doing missions should too. Spying should change law. Maybe running spice loads should affect spice. Seriously, the planets feel too static - I’d love to degrade the sanctimonious lux pop into a opulent spice den that I drop Xeno artifacts on.

-Xeno artifacts are so valuable, but only to smugglers. Only smuggler on a backwater farm planet? Enjoy taking pennies on the dollar for them! For having to gently caress up Xenos for them, they sure as hell are hard to move.

- Engine/port skill deaths. gently caress off - at least let me buy components that harden them? Better yet, let me take skills that let me target my opponents engines.

- Useless crew combats. When I run into scavengers on a wild world, at least let me loot something from their corpses. 50 credits? A couple units of spice? They had to have something...

- Patrol: it never feels like patrol can keep up with mission rep damage. I only see rep bonuses of 3-6 every other turn or so, with a 20% chance of picking it up. The overall cost is huge to gain that rep.

- Encounters - why doesn’t anyone ever surrender to me? Even an underclassed merchant will fight to their death rather than run. Also, as a pirate, why can’t I demand cargo?

But even then, these are more annoyances to be dealt with - I love building up my crew and synergizing my ship components to execute my mission. Bonus spy records? Yes please! Change my guns out for an eco crawler, and add mining drills to mutilate wild planets? Sure thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Played around with the save slots last night, and they work great. It's convenient enough for your to savescum if you want, but out of the way enough to let you play ironman style.

Being able to lock down the engine was one of my most sought after options - though the RP hit is a nuisance.

A new nuisance - I'm not sure if it's just cognition bias or not, but it seems like if there is a 1/5 chance you'll pick a risk card, you'll get it. Are the odds for a standard draw 20%/25% with a remove card typically? I know the odds of drawing mission cards increases the more often you do the card game - I'm curious if the rest are even draw, or if there is some increased likelihood of risk. (I'm assuming that the percentages for low/med/high are the odds of getting one of those cards in a draw.

Crew dog still seems like a stat buffer job. Their skills for morale during spicing and ship ops are pretty weak at top levels. Having engine lockdown is nice, but in general crew dog still has minimal value for any specific instances.

Though I still would like some way to permanently affect planet properties, an interim solution would be to have missions that could drop some of the rumor effects on - civil unrest, shortages, xeno hives. You see that with the smuggler prince subquest, where you artificially create shortages, a few more ways to target those kind of effects would be cool.

Also, finally groomed a smuggler contact on a population center where I could dump all the artifacts I'd been stockpiling. Dumped 105 artifacts for a cool $390k, and then scored another $100k bonus for the artifact smuggler perk. Hello battlecruiser!

God, I'm a hundred hours logged on this game, and have still only made it to plague era once.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

This is all goodness.

A few more tips -

-Get a smuggler, or spec one of your officers into smuggler. Reducing your risk of getting in to black markets is clutch when trying to pawn off artifacts
- Doctors Saving grace and Quartermasters second shadow are great skills that keep your crew alive through card draw fatalities, and from falling in crew/ship combat.
-if you at all plan on exploring, get the medium slot upgrade that expands resources by 16. You literally go from 4-8 artifacts to 23, and I believe it stacks with the explorer bonuses for wild zones. Even if you’re just getting legal resources, you can fill your cargo holds in a single resource get
- get a spy, 2 if you can. They get a level 5 skill unauthorized access, which lets you get intel during a winning boarding action. Spies also get a lot of good passive intel bonus skills, and some spying card game rerolls - some of which are really good, like replacing a risk with intel. Also, spies get the bolt skill, which is the hands down best bonus to escape that isn’t skip off the void, with no downside.
- ymmv, but I go heavy on weapons that only cost 2ap, and have critical effect reactor failures, like particle cannons. A battery of 4 cannons can lock down a fight, because the effects persist for three turns. If you’re stacking 1-2 per turn, you’ll make them unable to shoot or retreat after 2-3 turns, and keep them locked down. Plus it frees up your med/large slots for cargo or other enhancements

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Then your engines get OHKO. There is no way to mitigate it or buy a module to buff it. Then the character you've been playing dies because the crew just gives up because ???? Not having engines incites mass suicide / mutiny.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your discontent, they did add a skill for mechanics that locks down the engines, and makes them immune to damage, in return for losing 2ap. I hated it at first, but since most of the ship combats I have to fight turn into boarding ops, it’s good to pop twitch surge first, then engine lockdown, which will generally get me to range 1 for my boarding ops. I don’t miss the 2ap, because I rarely bring range 1 weapons.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

My heart leaps into my throat whenever I accidentally fight xenos while exploring, because it's so likely I'm going to die. :ohdear:

If this game is anything, it's good at making the aliens feel like actual threats.

You know what's funny is that at really high levels of your crew, Xenos become less of a threat than some crew encounters. Xenos hit like a truck, but when you get high enough dodge and armor, they rarely land heavy hits, and the ones they do are almost entirely ablated by armor. (Not true of their ships, they still unload punishment at higher levels). Meanwhile, people have actual skills, making them more evasive, more deadly, and debuffing your team. And I swear to god back line snipers are the worst. I get a ton of one-shots against my ascendent-god boarding crew from snipers all the time. Meanwhile, same crew with murder an entire crew of a xeno ship without a scratch.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Typical Pubbie posted:

E: quote is not reply

Game is ok but the balance is... Bad

Curious what you're basing that on?

You're comments identify some of the early pitfalls - getting bad reputation, unnecessary combat. I haven't felt like balance has been an issue across gameplay mechanics.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I paid 1.7mil to reset my -600ish faction with Steel Song so that I could do the next phase of the Cadar storyline where I had to make nice with a SS prison warden and impersonate a bounty hunter/prisoner transporter.

I ran into something similar when doing arbiter quests, where I started as steel song and Cadar was my foe. I followed the main storyline which cratered my rep with Cadar, then the arbiter wants me to go ask a favor for them to join as the military wing.

It’s kind of bullshit to have your starting for random, and later storylines faction locked. I can summon the $7.9mil it’s gonna take to get them back to zero, just so I can help your rear end build space UN. Wouldn’t mind seeing more options for that quest, versus just monoklune and Cadar, in case you broke one already.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

People mentioned stiff salute and it’s really good, but early on if you keep a crew slot empty you have a chance of getting a stowaway event that lets you recruit a smuggler. Now a high level smuggler talent is one that lets you get out of any type of ship combat at the cost of one item in your cargo hold. So if you’re carrying various stacks of 1 item (biomass, scrap, wheat) then you have a good chance of not throwing anything valuable.

Merchant gets this at level 5

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Inadequately posted:

On my latest run, the enemy faction of the Faen family ended up being the Independents. This is probably the best run for actually getting those missions done, right? The Indies aren’t really considered a proper faction, so any rep loss just vanishes into the ether. As long as I can keep my rep up with any other affiliated factions, I think I should be good.

e: oh God every single one of them has a different thread they want me to pursue which one of these actually advances the plot aaaaa

How the hell does that happen? That makes for an awesome, drama free run.

And on different threads, the answer is all of them - but in different, mutually exclusive directions.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Best ship weapons are the ones that rob AP, and stack. Don’t need to dodge shots if they can’t fire weapons.

Also, one or two thrown wrench can set off a failure cascade that makes combat easy

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The other thing about boarding is that when you advance to position 1 in the ship combat, your whole crew gets to use their boarding talents, not just the boarding party, so you don't have to worry much about burning talents on your combat crew on the boarding talents, since the rest of the ship crew can handle the intel looting and the crew shooting.

I wondered why sometimes I had the whole crew, and sometimes only had the boarding party. In hindsight, this is completely obvious. Thanks.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

is there a way to make educated guess on what goods are in demand on a planet besides knowing the mining to industry to population cycle?

Yeah.

Generally speaking, demand tracks the logical interests. Tradeways like things like guns, starship parts, crystals. Refineries like ores and crystals. Industrial likes metals and alloys. Populations like clothes, artifacts. Mining likes mining gear, booze, clothes. Farming like farming gear and poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

It looks like Cyber knights is finally out in EA. I’m working through an extensive backlog, else I’d pick it up. Anyone grab a copy, or playing it? Seems very shadowrun-y