Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I paid 1.7mil to reset my -600ish faction with Steel Song so that I could do the next phase of the Cadar storyline where I had to make nice with a SS prison warden and impersonate a bounty hunter/prisoner transporter. The best part was the original Cadar guy who gave me the quest had already hosed off since it took me so long to fix my rep. By the time I finished up I couldn't go on to the next step even though the actionable part of the quest had not expired. Luckily I got -100 faction with Steel Song again and I now get random Bounty Hunter events that aren't avoidable (it was only nearly a bad thing one time when I got one while limping back to port after popping a Xeno). All that said, the Cadar Sword Cutlass is legit a good ship, so at least there's that.

I think the main storyline is actually pretty good, but there's definitely still some bugs to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dalaram posted:

I ran into something similar when doing arbiter quests, where I started as steel song and Cadar was my foe. I followed the main storyline which cratered my rep with Cadar, then the arbiter wants me to go ask a favor for them to join as the military wing.

It’s kind of bullshit to have your starting for random, and later storylines faction locked. I can summon the $7.9mil it’s gonna take to get them back to zero, just so I can help your rear end build space UN. Wouldn’t mind seeing more options for that quest, versus just monoklune and Cadar, in case you broke one already.

Agreed. The faction minimum is also just too low. The only meaningful difference between being -1000 and -50 is that you have to pay millions more to reset it at -1000. I actually like the initial slide where engagements become a gamble or a guaranteed fight depending on the ship, and then they start to cut off planetary services, etc. But once you can't even buy gas, what's the difference? -400 or even -200 would be a more appropriate minimum with how quests and other stuff are set up currently. "Redemption" missions with heavier faction rewards but less cash might be an interesting way to help this aspect of the game as well.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

dreadmojo posted:

I found the enemy faction allied with enough other factions that huge swathes of space were barred to me. Can you buy bigger fuel tanks?

You can, but the more important thing is to have an engine that burns more efficiently. Getting one that is only 1 or 2 fuel per AU makes a big difference for how often you have to stop.

willing to settle posted:

one of the biggest things to learn about the game, in my opinion, is reputation management

This is very true. My second serious playthrough I made a point to take time out to build rep to at least 30 with every faction except the one I cratered with Faen quests (started as Zenrin so Rychart was in the shitter) and it's a completely different game. It's definitely the way to go if you want to avoid ship combat, do trading, etc.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 15, 2018

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, intel is really helpful, especially to bump rep with contacts who don't give missions. Random spying is pretty painless, especially once your E-techs are all level 8+.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a decent somewhat up to date (I know it adds stuff so fast that it can't be 100% accurate) beginner guide for this?

I keep trying to sink into it but I keep bouncing off.

https://startraders.gamepedia.com/Getting_Started_Guide

Play on the easiest difficulty and roll up as this directs and you'll be fine assuming you pay at least minimal attention. Not "fine" in a "I've beaten the game and will never have to play again" kind of way, but you'll probably have a successful run and get an idea of what to do on your next playthrough. Early game behavior changes drastically based on difficulty, so ramp up slowly and figure out what things you need to do differently to survive to the midgame.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep, you can do some pretty good all-rounder setups especially on lower difficulties, but you really have to min-max your crew setup and ship fittings if you want to do ship combat. It doesn't leave much room for fuel economy, cargo, passenger/prisoner space etc. Having a good combat crew and some escape/range change talents is much easier to roll with if you're into running missions/trading/etc, especially since you can eventually ditch your weapons locker once you have enough contact-purchased or mission-reward weapons and armor.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just got into this and oh god I can see that this is going to suck me in help noooo.

About missions. How many of them are scripted like the intro storyline you're dumped into vs randomly generated ones? The scripted ones must run out at some point.

They go on for a decent amount of time, and they also branch into mutually exclusive storylines that lend themselves to certain playstyles (more replay value). Additionally, there's some smaller scripted missions that will start when you do various things like land on a planet.

All that said, the average mission you get from a contact is just randomly generated, and these are primarily what you need to grind if you're looking to get influence/cash/etc. from doing missions. The scripted missions often provide good rewards if you are actually set up to do them/playing on a low enough difficulty, but you typically won't be able to keep up with them to sustain your run without doing other things to make progress in between.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Agreed. I have shelved this for a bit until the updates build up a bit more and expand the story missions and some of my favored gameplay. I am very encouraged by the fact that they still release new stuff pretty much every week: 130 updates since Nov 15, 2017 is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also don't worry about the main quest beyond the first set of missions because, not only are some of the later branches kinda tough for a new player without a specific build, but it can torpedo your faction relations in bad ways. Keeping your relations up with most factions is what keeps the game easy and learnable.