Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One tip I've picked up from watching a random LP is to just hit spy / patrol basically every time you hit orbit just to see the card pull. If you get a decent hand with minimal risk you might as well just go for it (assuming you're under no time pressure.) It doesn't cost anything to just look. I completely ignored that stuff for a long time because I assumed I needed better skills and reroll talents to actually get anything done but nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Speaking of the main plot, can anyone do a rough non-spoilery overview of which skills are needed for which main paths? I know they have different focuses, and I kinda want to build a captain for a specific one before setting out.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'm waiting for new map gen stuff to go in right now but I'm sure I'll noodle around for a while once they do. I'm not actually sure what'll be changing! But it seems like a fundamental feature either way.

Honestly the constant updates are laudable but as someone that tends to avoid early access stuff because I prefer a complete game, it makes it hard to ever want to sit down and really dig in. My brain just wonders why learn the ins and outs of systems that could be changed?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Bumping to note this, which could be extremely significant:

quote:

What’s coming next…
Now, we’re coming up on the end of our previously announced roadmap for Star Traders. This is not the end of new content from us for the game by any means, simply the completion of what we’ve already promised to add to the game.

We’ve always been very upfront about our ability to keep adding to our games depending on keeping a tight focus & staying in-scope. Now with these last milestones wrapping, we’ve been able to consider what larger-scale changes outside of the scope of the last roadmap we want to give you.

Given how much of what we’ve added to the game has been driven by you already, and knowing it’s a small fraction of the ideas, possibilities, and personal passions you all have for the game, we think the choice is an obvious one: we’re going to add mod support to Star Traders: Frontiers.

This means:
A basic save-game editor all players will be able to use to customize their personal playthroughs. Want everything unlocked? Done. Wish that officer had more Fortitude? Buff away! Want to try max level? Change difficulty mid-playthrough? Remove that one annoying trait? Check, check, and check.
Steam Workshop tools for uploading & downloading mods, and a separately-installable build of the game so you can switch between vanilla Star Traders and modded Star Traders.
Officially-supported access & documentation to the game database for mod creation.

Work has already begun, and we expect to release these tools later this year. If you are a modder who would like to be among the first to get access to our mod creation tools, please fill out this form.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

One very important tip that the game doesn't do a great job of explaining is that you should be checking the patrol/spy/blockade pulls on basically every planet you orbit. Especially early on all of the draws will be bad and skippable but you might luck out and it's a habit to get into.

Get a trade license up to 4 as soon as you can, you can get it from one of the starting quest guys if you run some of his missions for rep. Selling trade-restricted stuff will get you big gobs of cash. But also speaking of the starting quest it's 100% skippable, you can just ignore the plot entirely and boat around doing whatever the hell you want. This is worth it on at least one game just to grok some of the mechanics.

Upgrade your weapon closet. Early on if you de-prioritized your ship in creation your best bet for actually winning space combat is to get in close and board a bunch. That said, space combat can kill you stone dead so it's often just better to run away.

If you don't know what skills to assign, the skill save ones that give you an automatic success are all worth having. Once actual skills are high enough to pass checks most of the time they get less valuable but early game they're lifesavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

You couldn't run away? I run away from everything early game, and I can't think of a time it didn't work to that degree. Also it's okay to surrender if you're seriously outclassed; you take a morale hit and lose cargo but it's way better than taking a drubbing and if you don't have expensive poo poo in your hold the downside is pretty minimal. If it's a military ship I don't think they even take legal cargo.