Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CiaphasNote: Game is now released and out of Early Access! I'm not playing it as of this edit but reports are good. I imagine Fighters and everything else on the dev roadmap were added as schedule.

OP remains up to date as of May 9 2018.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyneeQ4jZpQ

Star Traders: Frontiers is a single-player, sci-fi character RPG by Trese Brothers, who have a few games on PC that I know nothing about, including the seemingly well reviewed Templar Battleforce. In it, you create a template for new Captains (or select a pre-generated template), select a map (or generate one), select a difficulty (or customize one, optionally with bonus Captain Permadeath), and go forth and seek riches and fame (or die ignobly to enemy bounty hunters who disabled your engine, boarded your ship, and executed you and your surrendering crew).

The game is designed as a Story Generator, similar to Dwarf Fortress (remember Boatmurdered?). While there is a crafted story you can follow, the world is more or less what you make of it without restriction besides what your skill points can handle. Be a Privateer, attacking every enemy ship you come across, seizing its cargo, and selling some of it to your Faction leaders instead of the market. Be an Explorer, finding artifacts, salvage sites, and information, as long as a Xeno doesn't eat you. Be a Tradesman, with trade permits for every market, a ship bristling with defensive weapons and cargo space, and a handy smuggler Contact for the real heavy poo poo. Be a rumor-chaser, traveling the entire dozens-of-sectors-wide map chasing information as and when you hear of it, like Shortages and Surpluses, Merchant Fleets (with attendant increased piracy!), and more. Be a Bounty Hunter or Spy, doing missions for the Factions. Along the way, you'll cross other ships, rumors and events that will, with some imagination as you work with your crew and Officers, create a story of your own.

Sounds like an advertising pitch except I've done it three times since I blind-bought this five days and 56 hours ago, and I swear to god Clan Juvat pirates have somehow been the death of all three :argh:

In this screenshot of a Captain I'm about to abandon, I'm making a last ditch effort to explore and find stuff I can legally sell to make some money to pay my crew and fuell bills (note: out of fuel). But there're Xeno Spores around the planet so I'm already at a disadvantage, but at least none of my ship operations rolls are failing!

Oh yeah, this game has Lore and a main story. Apparently. :shrug:

Early Access

Star Traders: Frontiers is in EA, and it does show: the UI is not quite a disaster but it takes far too many clicks to do anything, and the overall design feels like a mobile game graphically. In addition there's quite a few typos and things like talents listed in game as NOT YET IMPLEMENTED. That said, the game is what I would consider Complete: they're adding mission and story arcs and content as time goes on, but most of the core gameplay elements are there, with only Fighters (small craft combat) remaining on the list. The developers have a Early Access Dev Roadmap which they've so far held to, and an aggressive update schedule.
EA is over!

Basic Gameplay

The gameplay has you traveling across a 30-something sector (called "Quadrants" here) map, looking around at the different planets and stations ("Zones"), and trading, working with mission Contacts to achieve various goals, or perform Operations, in addition to refuel, repair, upgrades, and crew & morale management. While doing all of these, the Skills of your captain, officers and crew are constantly checked. In flight you can pass or fail checks like Ship Ops for daily shifts, Intimidation to prevent a gambling fight from escalating, Repair to fix that electrical short, and many others--some two dozen plus skills total. Operations also use these Skills to first determine, then resolve draws from, an Operation card deck with Rewards and Risks. Finally, there's Ship and Crew Combat which are Complicated.

Skills are accrued by leveling Jobs. Your captain and officers can take up to three Jobs; standard crew only have one. In addition to raising sets of Skills, Jobs also award Talent points which can be used to unlock Talents for that job, with more becoming available as you level. These Talents are used automatically or manually then go on a cooldown for some amount of game time, providing Skill Saves, less penalty for violating Conflicts between Factions, abilities to use in Ship or Crew Combat, Boarding actions, Mutiny responses, and so on.

Speaking of Factions, there are Factions! Nine of them, each with names that I can't remember . Beyond some lore blurbs and minor static bonuses if your Captain is a member at the start of the game (and traits unique to crew from those Factions), they don't have personal identity: they exist to Conflict with each other and to give you groups to interact with. You can build Reputation with them by completing Patrol operations, pleasing Contacts or participating in Conflicts; Reputation, in turn, makes Contacts more useful as it rises, and gets you in trouble with the law/services closed as it sinks.

Screenshots

The crew combat is simplified Darkest Dungeon, basically

Ships are extremely customizable. You won't own as many as you tend to accrue in the X series, Rebirth excepted, but you'll get a few by the end

Links

Steam Page
RPS: "Star Traders: Frontiers is the best space game I’ve played in ages"
:siren:The quite up to date Wiki:siren:
Trese Brothers Games

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Basic Terminology

Quadrant - A region of space reached by HyperWarp gates, containing Zones. Analogous to Sectors in other games
Zone - A place to land your ship and do stuff. You can orbit around Zones to do other stuff
Spice - there's probably some lore to this but it seems like a mix of drugs and alcohol. Going off duty for morale is called "Spicing"
Operation - Several activities present you with five cards of positive and negative effect, and picks one to apply after you optionally use a Talent to modify the hand. These are collectively called Operations. Includes Patrolling, Spying, Blockades, Exploring, and some Missions
Attribute - Strength, Wisdom, etc. Primarily mostly matters for Crew Combat, except for your captain where they always matter
Skill - used to pass (or fail) dice rolls against every activity in the game. Accrued from leveling various Jobs over time
Job - Captain and Officers can train up to three, Crew only get one. Trains skills, reveals Talents and grants talent points when leveled. Examples include Crew Dog, Military Officer, Pirate, E-Tech, Exo-Scout, etc etc

Getting Started Tips
  • Get Skill Save talents. All of them. You'll get a feel for how many of each you need as you play, but if you're in doubt, maybe two or three of all of em
  • Keep all of your Ship Pools (on the Ship Screen) between 100% and 200%. Below 100% and you are not at full readiness to run your ship, and will suffer in rolls; above 200% is effectively wasted, not granting any bonus dice. Change up your crew or ship equipment
  • No matter what you'll want to do at least some trading, especially to start. Fortunately the game makes it easy--it's made very clear what items buy and sell where, and it even tells you in your cargo listing how much profit you're getting from a sale
  • Patrolling is an effective way to keep rep positive, but if it goes too negative you might not be able to patrol for long enough at a stretch to fix it. Consider a Contact with the Pardon service
  • When creating a template or captain, don't confuse Jobs with the role you want to play. You need more than just Pirates to be effective at Piracy; Diplomats can help by reducing rep losses and Military Officers can reduce surrenders, for example. Look over lists of Talents in the wiki

More guides and stuff as I think of them/have them linked.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 10, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Great op! I love this game, it's basically a rogue trader sim. I remember being puzzled by how to find your ship on the star map though, do you know?

Tapping space seems to work, but I don't scroll around on the star map much. I go straight to the Atlas list and pick my destinations from there, much more readable to me than the map iconography.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 10, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blisster posted:

How does this compare to Starsector? There is always room for a great space game in my heart.

Templar Battleforce is pretty fun so I will have my eye on this.

I believe Starsector is played in real-time, combat included, correct? Star Traders: Frontiers has a similar premise but is turn-based and extremely heavy on the :rollsdice:, don't know enough about Starsector to comment otherwise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

grrarg posted:

How does the pace of updates affect a playthrough? I have been following this game for a while, and they sometimes have three or four seemingly substantial patches a week. Pretty crazy for a team that is just two brothers. I've been holding off until they slow down some, if they ever do. They still occasionally update Templar Brotherhood, and it has been out a couple years.

They probably won't ever slow down, doesn't seem to be in their MO. Or the EA Roadmap, for that matter. But they have pinky sworn (somewhere, I can't find it ATM) that they will never break saves with patches, so there's that. Presumably with new features (like small ship combat/fighters coming soon) you just get set to some default state or zeroed out in new stats or whatever.

On a separate note entirely, this morning I realized that Talent rolls that mention a skill (like market skills that use Negotiate for increased profit) only use that crew member's Skills (unbonused if they are not officers). So now the fake-OCD perfectionist munchkin in me is wondering how long it would take to make The Perfect Crew of bonused captains and officers for a given role :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I'm actually home I'm debating whether to try out Starsector, the combat looks fun but I kinda prefer the chill turn-based pace of everything here in STF, real-time pausing aside

In this game at least I keep wanting to make really generalist captains and ships. Something about trying to minmax this game, even as heavily numbered as it is, just feels kinda wrong

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Oh poo poo, I like this game. I was checking for a thread a few days ago.
I like it overall, it's definitely lacking in "Story" content that isn't the main story, It would be cool to see your randomly generated contacts have stories and the like too as you raise or lower peoples influence with a faction. But the game play loops are fun, I've done a lot of pirating and smuggling/trading. Not tried Zealot/Spying/Exploring much so I'm curious, with being a Zealot, is there a way to help your faction actually win those wars and such that pop up and like, expand their influence among a system/multiple systems?

I think that's the one thing stopping me from getting super involved with the game, is the lack of impact you seem to be able to have on the inter-faction politics that are definitely present, but very bare-bones. Hopefully this is something the devs add more to.

I get the impression from the dev's Discord server and the roadmap that there's no plans to do that. You can increase the Influence of individual Contacts within their Faction, but they plan for faction ownership of zones to remain static on any given map. Not the kind of game they want to make, I guess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lorini posted:

I got stuck in the boarding combat screen, what the hell am I supposed to do there? I get it's like Darkest Dungeon but I couldn't select anyone to do anything.

It should have highlighted one of your characters with a blue corner box and showed their abilities in the bottom a la Darkest Dungeon, if it didn't then it might have crashed I guess??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Ive tried to use a greater variety of skills durring my few crew combats, but I keep going to my comfort favorites. Burst fire fir soldiers, pinning shot for pistoleer, balanced blade for blades(wo)man.

Anybody got any tips or feelings about crew combat in general?

My feeling is that skills that move the enemy are just as good here as they are in Darkest Dungeon. My favorite lineup has been a Swordsman/Zealot/? in slot 1 for access to at least two pushes, a Doctor/Combat Medic/Spy in slot 2 with a Pistol who spends 99% of their time doing single target heals, a shotgun Soldier in slot 3 with that attack that does a push from slot 3 or 4, and something Snipery for slot 4--in my current game an Explorer/Exo-Scout/Sniper.

The swordsman and shotgunner can push a position 1 or 2 swordsman back to 3 on their first go, where they'll be forced to move up instead of attacking (usually). Saved my bacon any number of times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao. I've argued with the Devs about engine loss ending combat. They stopped responding to me.

Edit (now with dev comments!):
Me: I still don't follow why someone couldn't return fire. I do understand the lack of mobility, which wouldn't that be better represented by taking away all agility and speed?

Dev: Sorry that you dislike this result. In a void battle, complete loss of engine power is guaranteed death if you try to keep firing. The enemy ships has full mobility. In general, the assumption is that the crew -- know that the captain would send them to their deaths -- lays down their weapons. After all, the enemy is only going to execute the captain.

Dunno which brother that is, but I remember asking in the Discord about that and someone saying that lorewise the engines are Really Important because the void (space) is significantly more dangerous just to be in than our own interstellar vacuum, and running engines are a significant part of the protection from it. The assumption about the crew sort of makes sense in that context.

Probably doesn't mollify you, I too think that's silly, but there ya go

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You hardcorers knew what you were getting into :colbert::colbert::colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ravendas posted:

Okay, thanks all. It was overwhelming, when the first thing you do before anything else is go through and set a few dozen talents for things that you have no idea what they're referring to. I'll spend a bit more time with it and puzzle them out, then quickly die and try again.

Eventually you just start to remember names and what they are for solely because "oh right that's what hosed over my last guy :argh:" so this is the correct approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh god the ios version is going to be out today or tomorrow im going to be playing a lot more of this.

I do remember thinking when I played this that this should absolutely have been a touchscreen game. If you do get it I'm looking forward to impressions