Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Therefore, Star Wars combat should now revolve around those blue electro-liquid orbs from Phantom Menace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVR03bMe0TA&t=138s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

Star Wars sequels that are all about Vader's ability to deflect laser blasts with his hand.

Somewhere Dave Filoni's ears are burning.

The Expanded Universe, they eventually retconned that Vader couldn't block lasers with his hand because his limbs are reinforced robot limbs or because he's a powerful evil wizard, but because he was wearing ~Mandalorian~ gloves that were indestructable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is the only fight that matters.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They should have a lightsaber that's like a dozen meters in length, that'd be badass.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I see your schwartz is as big as mine!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want a movie with a dwarf wielding a lightsaber axe, an elf who shoots lightsaber arrows and a bard with a lightsaber lute.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

feedmyleg posted:

None of the lightsaber gimmicks matter if you don't make the actual affects of the lightsaber more terrifying and dangerous. When a lightsaber comes on, I want to have the characters cower and feel the air sizzle with tension. Make us feel that alongside the characters, and you don't need to add anything to them at all. Everything beyond the base-level sabers has only served to make them less threatening.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I initially thought this too, but Luke actually is carrying the green sword on his belt at the end of the film, meaning he went back to retrieve it. Signs of a Bad End.

Maybe R2-D2 was carrying a second, identical lightsaber for the entire movie in case he missed the throw on the first attempt on Jabba's barge.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

You are describing the genre and saying it’s bad.

Thank you. I kept reading that post and thinking, "But all of this sounds awesome?"

My only real issue was General Grevious, but that's my own personal head canon bias. I grew up thinking the only way you could use a crazy weapon like a lightsaber, which would burn you or sever a limb just by touching any part of it except the handle, was if you could use the Force and pre-determine where it would be (Han that one time was an exception, because he just barely used it to do a simple slice of a Tauntaun). And then here comes GG, a non-Force user, using 4 of the god drat things at a time so well he's killing Jedi with them, apparently. But I acknowledge that's a "me" problem.

Halloween Jack posted:

When TPM came out there was the most terrible nerd whining about how the double saber was stupid and impractical (because a laser sword is so practical in the first place). But Ray Park is obviously really good at Shaolin gun style. Ren uses his crossguard saber to hold two enemies at bay once or twice. And the Darksaber just looks cool. I doubt that they'll ever do a live-action saber vs. saber fight with a lightwhip, or a lightonfa, or those Inquisitor swords, because the concept is stupid and probably can't be staged well.

We get as close as we're ever going to get to a lightwhip (and maybe lightonfa, I don't remember all the weapons they had) in the Last Jedi Throne Room fight. Sure, the weapons the guards are using aren't lightsabers, but they can battle lightsabers with them, so they might as well be, and one of them is a whip.

I always liked how inventive the weapons were in that fight.

YaketySass posted:

They should have a lightsaber that's like a dozen meters in length, that'd be badass.

A Legends books had one of Luke's apprentices modify his lightsaber so it could double in length after pressing a button. But it was a pretty bad book in a very bad series, and we generally don't like talking about it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 19, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You might not like the Jedi Academy trilogy but I for one enjoy the space blob horse races, Han solo xtreme sportz skiing on Coruscant, star system annihilating spaceships and robot tentacle mountains battling Imperial spider tanks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

You might not like the Jedi Academy trilogy but I for one enjoy the space blob horse races, Han solo xtreme sportz skiing on Coruscant, star system annihilating spaceships and robot tentacle mountains battling Imperial spider tanks.

I totally forgot about the Han Solo skiing part.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't read anything by Kevin J. Anderson since I was, like, 10 years old and even then I could tell those books were dogshit.

I'm almost 40, now; if I tried re-visiting them at this point I'd likely give myself an aneurysm.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

I totally forgot about the Han Solo skiing part.

Of course you did, skiing is boring af.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

None of the lightsaber gimmicks matter if you don't make the actual affects of the lightsaber more terrifying and dangerous. When a lightsaber comes on, I want to have the characters cower and feel the air sizzle with tension. Make us feel that alongside the characters, and you don't need to add anything to them at all. Everything beyond the base-level sabers has only served to make them less threatening.

IMO they should do a story about some dude way out in the rear end end of the galaxy, who is the only dude that has a lightsaber.

This is after order 66, and this dude is a bad guy, totally insane, and he’s pretty much invulnerable. There’s no Jedi around!

He kind of just walks this planet, doing as he pleases.

And yeah when he ignites his saber, everyone cowers. And he will just chop anybody up, for any reason.

It will be like Sword of Doom, only the evil protagonist is the only one who has a weapon.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
lightsaber but it's stuck in a space stone

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrMojok posted:

IMO they should do a story about some dude way out in the rear end end of the galaxy, who is the only dude that has a lightsaber.

This is after order 66, and this dude is a bad guy, totally insane, and he’s pretty much invulnerable. There’s no Jedi around!

He kind of just walks this planet, doing as he pleases.

And yeah when he ignites his saber, everyone cowers. And he will just chop anybody up, for any reason.

It will be like Sword of Doom, only the evil protagonist is the only one who has a weapon.

And the first time somebody stands up to him and he tries to use the thing, he cuts his own rear end off!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine a whole page of nothing but this

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

euphronius posted:

You are describing the genre and saying it’s bad.

The problem is thinking 'lightsaber' is the genre.

feedmyleg posted:

Everything beyond the base-level sabers has only served to make them less threatening.

/\ This guy gets it.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The lightsaber helicopter is pretty easily the stupidest star wars thing on video. It seems like the only thought about "why does this spinning thing make them fly" was "helicopter blades spin, they fly."

I think they were going for the kind of silliness you get from Grievous having 4 spinning arms with lightsabers, but this just makes no loving sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

The problem is thinking 'lightsaber' is the genre.

I mean the genre is one where poo poo happens because it looks cool

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Glottis posted:

The lightsaber helicopter is pretty easily the stupidest star wars thing on video. It seems like the only thought about "why does this spinning thing make them fly" was "helicopter blades spin, they fly."

I think they were going for the kind of silliness you get from Grievous having 4 spinning arms with lightsabers, but this just makes no loving sense.

I guess now we need a gif of Grievous starting to spin his blades and then just lifting off.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Halloween Jack posted:

Lightsabers are cool, but they don't get exponentially more cool when you add more gimmicks on, especially if you don't really have any ideas how to actually do anything interesting with it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

My only real issue was General Grevious, but that's my own personal head canon bias. I grew up thinking the only way you could use a crazy weapon like a lightsaber, which would burn you or sever a limb just by touching any part of it except the handle, was if you could use the Force and pre-determine where it would be (Han that one time was an exception, because he just barely used it to do a simple slice of a Tauntaun). And then here comes GG, a non-Force user, using 4 of the god drat things at a time so well he's killing Jedi with them, apparently. But I acknowledge that's a "me" problem.

The thing about Grievous is that he's a star wars cyborg, that is his immediately notable characteristic. As that applies to lightsabre combat makes a lot of sense, he is a sentient being (:can:) who leverages droid machinery to augment his understanding of lightsabre combat. It works really well for me. That he obsesses over collecting jedis' lightsabres (like some versions of EU Boba) is icing on the cake for his character building. That he's a massive coward that instantly retreats when things don't go his way is the strawberry on the icing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

I want this guy to stick his arms out and spin around in a 360 and take off like

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jehde posted:

The thing about Grievous is that he's a star wars cyborg, that is his immediately notable characteristic. As that applies to lightsabre combat makes a lot of sense, he is a sentient being (:can:) who leverages droid machinery to augment his understanding of lightsabre combat. It works really well for me. That he obsesses over collecting jedis' lightsabres (like some versions of EU Boba) is icing on the cake for his character building. That he's a massive coward that instantly retreats when things don't go his way is the strawberry on the icing.

Funny thing is that, even before his crippling injury, Grievous retreating the moment things don't go his way could well be called prudent tactics. His entire thing is being able to fight Jedi by taking them by surprise, by fighting in ways Jedi aren't expecting, both copying their fighting style and using it in ways they can't or won't. Of course all that relies on him maintaining momentum and control of the situation, so it makes sense to turn around and gtfo when his foes start to catch on, and lives to fight another day, especially since he's leading armies that are generally made up of explicitly expendable droids who it's probably standard practice to sacrifice to cover his retreat. And of course, in the end he ends up beaten by a Jedi choosing to fight in a way Jedi normally don't, a very uncivilised way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

If you haven't seen the show this takes place near the climax of one of the best/most loved episodes.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Arc Hammer posted:

star system annihilating spaceships

they took the question "Why don't they construct the whole plane out of the material they use for the flight recorder Black Box" and ran with it

re: lightsabers, the Kotor games had shorter sabers for the off-hand in dual wielding, and later on Kreia uses the force to levitate three at once, not something you see a lot elsewhere. People keep losing their hands, what about Jedi that never had any in the first place?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

Imagine a whole page of nothing but this

My many issues with the Obi-Wan series aside, I appreciated that they had the inquisitors execute someone by pulling them to another one spinning their saber like this lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In the story, Grievous was always just some old sick guy. Obi-Wan wasn't even afraid of him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you haven't seen the show this takes place near the climax of one of the best/most loved episodes.

It's the moment I gave up on Rebels. I realized that if this was the best the show had to offer and it still felt it was okay to do silly poo poo like this, it wasn't for me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Lightsabers are cool, but they don't get exponentially more cool when you add more gimmicks on, especially if you don't really have any ideas how to actually do anything interesting with it.

When TPM came out there was the most terrible nerd whining about how the double saber was stupid and impractical (because a laser sword is so practical in the first place). But Ray Park is obviously really good at Shaolin gun style. Ren uses his crossguard saber to hold two enemies at bay once or twice. And the Darksaber just looks cool. I doubt that they'll ever do a live-action saber vs. saber fight with a lightwhip, or a lightonfa, or those Inquisitor swords, because the concept is stupid and probably can't be staged well.

I wouldn't put it quite like that; when he loses his patience, he takes Luke's hand with an elegant maneuver. I think Gillard said something about liking the move because it's fencing but it only makes sense with a lightsaber.

I must go. My planet needs me

Dude why the gently caress would you post in DND lol what a terrible red text

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doublepost

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Unfortunately, laser-sword blades obviously do behave as solid objects. So there’s really no reason why they couldn’t be shaped and spun in such a way as to generate lift.

The trouble is that there’s seemingly nothing to counteract the torque of the blades spinning, unless we grant that the hilt contains some of Star Wars’ ubiquitous antigravit-ish kinda devices.

Even that allowance raises the question of why you need the blades at all (see: Obiwan hanging from the assassin droid in Episode 2). Also it’s ugly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

unless we grant that the hilt contains some of Star Wars’ ubiquitous antigravit-ish kinda devices.

Micro-repulsorlifts, yes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

feedmyleg posted:

It's the moment I gave up on Rebels. I realized that if this was the best the show had to offer and it still felt it was okay to do silly poo poo like this, it wasn't for me.

People talk about there being a big step up from season 1 to season 2 and no, it's just that they got settled in to the show and also Ahsoka and Rex turned up.

Even the other episode that everyone loves (Twin Suns) has a stupid Ezra/Chopper subplot clogging it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Unfortunately, laser-sword blades obviously do behave as solid objects. So there’s really no reason why they couldn’t be shaped and spun in such a way as to generate lift.

The trouble is that there’s seemingly nothing to counteract the torque of the blades spinning, unless we grant that the hilt contains some of Star Wars’ ubiquitous antigravit-ish kinda devices.

Even that allowance raises the question of why you need the blades at all (see: Obiwan hanging from the assassin droid in Episode 2). Also it’s ugly.

So you're saying, this would work for Miles 'Tails' Prower.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The cooler they try to make Star Wars, the lamer (and worse) it gets.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Andor and Rogue One insisting on terrible 1970s haircuts is a step in the right direction.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rebels' aesthetic seems to be "Kenner + Ralph McQuarrie", so it definitely lives in a weird toy-logic version of the Star Wars universe. The TIE Fighters have stubby wings like the old Kenner toys, everyone's smooth and plasticky, and the Inquisitors use weapons straight out of the toy aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Star Wars has always been toy logic, and that's what makes it great.