Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's Ubisoft so nooope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

What is it? I didn’t see any gameplay

This new trailer was the story trailer. They released the gameplay footage around 9 months ago. It's an open world Star Wars game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7K2TA0bBpY

It looks like exactly my poo poo, I love games like this. But the season pass stuff is concerning.

One of the DLCs is at launch? And is a Jabba story, so it seems like the Jabba stuff in the story trailer may be part of the DLC? That is some bullshit, if true.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 9, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Upsidads posted:

It's Ubisoft so nooope

Yeah please do not get your hopes up for a game made by these people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I never can make it though a whole open world game so the dlc stuff doesn’t phase me

I wish the main character wasn’t wearing a jean jacket

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I never can make it though a whole open world game so the dlc stuff doesn’t phase me

I wish the main character wasn’t wearing a jean jacket

This is absolutely a "to each their own" thing, but Open World games are my favorite games. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one of my favorite games of the last decade, and I 100%'d the game. Same for Black Flag, I love being able to hang out in a game's world doing whatever I want, and only getting back to the main story when I feel like it. Red Dead Redemption felt the same way.

That being said, again, the season pass stuff is troubling. I’ve only ever bought one season pass, Arkham Knight, and it was because the devs had proven themselves with the previous Arkham games, and I knew for a fact I was going to get all the DLC for Knight, unless they somehow had taken a complete 180 (like they eventually did with both Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League). I don’t regret that one.

I would never get one for a new game series.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Finally, a Watch_Dogs of Star Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Could we have one SW protagonist who doesn’t have a cute sidekick? No droid, no dog, no baby, just a miserable lonely dude.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

General Dog posted:

Could we have one SW protagonist who doesn’t have a cute sidekick? No droid, no dog, no baby, just a miserable lonely dude.

No.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The reason sidekicks are so common in Star Wars is because George Lucas didn't like having characters wandering around alone without anyone to talk to for extended periods, so always made sure that there was something for the characters to bounce off of, even if it's just Luke talking to Artoo on Dagobah. This is also the entire reason Qui-Gon exists as he does. Originally he didn't enter the story until Coruscant, but Lucas wanted someone for Obi-Wan to talk to before meeting up with Jar Jar, so he moved Qui-Gon up in the script (and made him the main guy instead of Obi-Wan).

So now in the post-Lucas era, all these other stories have just cargo-culted the idea of having a sidekick character because it's A Star War Thing, even when the narrative could work with someone who's alone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they should give the protagonist two heads and have them talk to each other.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Robot Style posted:

The reason sidekicks are so common in Star Wars is because George Lucas didn't like having characters wandering around alone without anyone to talk to for extended periods, so always made sure that there was something for the characters to bounce off of, even if it's just Luke talking to Artoo on Dagobah. This is also the entire reason Qui-Gon exists as he does. Originally he didn't enter the story until Coruscant, but Lucas wanted someone for Obi-Wan to talk to before meeting up with Jar Jar, so he moved Qui-Gon up in the script (and made him the main guy instead of Obi-Wan).

So now in the post-Lucas era, all these other stories have just cargo-culted the idea of having a sidekick character because it's A Star War Thing, even when the narrative could work with someone who's alone.

It's one of the reasons Disney princesses have animals companions too.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

koolkal posted:

Darth Slurro

this would be a good twitter gimmick

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Upsidads posted:

It's Ubisoft so nooope

Seems neat, but just watching how the characters kind of flop around tells me it's going to be Ubisoft.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ubisoft made some great games :shrug:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I remember all the cool features watchdogs 3 was going to have.
man did it not have those

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

:hai::haibrow:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if the outlaw will actually outlaw…or be like Boba Fett and actually do nothing but sort of make the world a better place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder if the outlaw will actually outlaw…or be like Boba Fett and actually do nothing but sort of make the world a better place.

Disney Star Wars crimelords are like Disney Pirates of the Caribbean. Their appearance looks like violent outlaws but they're actually a noble and magnanimous bunch.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Disney Star Wars crimelords are like Disney Pirates of the Caribbean. Their appearance looks like violent outlaws but they're actually a noble and magnanimous bunch.

Especially since the game taking place between Empire and Jedi (since Han is frozen in carbonite at Jabba's palace) means that the villain's plan to unite the gangs is happening concurrently with a massive syndicate war between those very gangs, which was featured in the comics a couple of years ago.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If Han's already at Jabba's then it's post War of the Bounty Hunters and the syndicate war's mostly died down

Bit of a shame, since it likely means Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn probably won't show up

Black Sun, Unbroken Clan, Empire, Crimson Dawn, Bounty Hunters Guild, TaggeCo., the Rebellion, and the Hutts...

So many factions we could've gotten jobs from/for/against

So many live service packs to buy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Bit of a shame, since it likely means Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn probably won't show up

They're both confirmed.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The marvel comics under Disney in particular don’t work well with the EU because of marvel’s obsession with “special events” featuring every character in the universe making it that much more difficult for stories to not override/contradict each other. Dark Horse did it a lot better. Though Dark Horse was also given a lot more freedom to just tell stories completely detached from any ongoing narrative, or even just tell stories set in random time periods. Disney seems to demand a much more rigid adherence to anything not OT only being allowed if it’s part of some broader multimedia push.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/tansyclipboard/status/1778199888108630222

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

loving lmao that owns

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's great. Genuinely love Roar!, the Cloverfield Overture. It's a legit Kaiju movie soundtrack that only plays over the credits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rogue One literally had Darth Vader making a dad joke, it absolutely shoulda had pun based soundtrack titles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

galagazombie posted:

The marvel comics under Disney in particular don’t work well with the EU because of marvel’s obsession with “special events” featuring every character in the universe making it that much more difficult for stories to not override/contradict each other.
Still no point in reading Marvel, then? Oh, well. I'll check back in a decade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really like how it says a lot that Krennic pisses Vader off, which especially for Imperial officers isn't hard, (heck, I suspect they'd probably get away with having Stormtroopers deliver bad news and Vader would be less murderous about it) but Vader actually finds him entertaining enough to let him live and actually make a joke about Force choking him rather than having to be called off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Halloween Jack posted:

Still no point in reading Marvel, then? Oh, well. I'll check back in a decade.

I'll just throw out a warning about Marvel's recent run of Aliens comics: they suck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd actually read a massive convoluted Alien crossover, as long as there are zero superheroes in it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Pretty sure batman has defeated both predators and aliens

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1779861744510189910

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Somehow, the emperor has returned… again?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

May the thirth be with you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Fortnite has left my sprite cutesy and super-deformed. But my resolve is as strong as ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1780338206874947951?t=zY5it8TTBshgymM5yMSFtw&s=19

This tells me a lot about the Acolyte and I'm not sure that I like it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The quote is from Dafne Keen, so it's not like it's a mission statement from the showrunner or something. It seems more like a 19 year old kid who grew up watching the prequels is now excited to be in a real lightsaber fight and is is comparing it against the one she remembers most fondly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Also, she’s 100% correct.

(#2 is Mustafar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Prequels was dancing
OT was fencing at the retirement home
ST was two kids beating the poo poo out of each other in the front yard

Wonder what the High Republic's lightsaber style will be

Breakdancing? Flossing? Hittin' the Griddy? Whatever TikTok trend was popular four years ago?