Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Welcome to the snyderverse

porfiria posted:

Of course this is all fair enough but to be fair:

Lol!

Kinda disappointed to learn that Polley seems to be a dictators=necessary evil sort of liberal. I agree with Snyder tho, the death of Saddam and his sons were good and cool. If only it happened to more tyrants more often!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah SMG, you trippin. Jedi is ugly, but not ewok movie ugly.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

And what should they have done

Freed the slaves on both sides of the rift.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

True, true

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Forgive us, lord

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Well that may be one aspect of the Disney wars that makes sense - this is a galaxy much reduced by upheaval, hence how weak the governments and fragile the militaries seem to be. The old familiar alien races have withdrawn or scattered.

In actual history and the present day, the weakening or loss of central authority in a society can lead to an explosion of sectarian violence as the grudges held against scapegoated minorities can now be indulged. Maybe the Duros are getting the hell outta dodge and etc?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

All Star Wars from the last decade has been fan made.

It's new Simpsons all over again

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That's part of the fun tho

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Lol the dice that he loved so much!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

What's a Fel?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

"What if the Empire wasn't really evil per se, but still an Empire?"

Captain Splendid posted:

The original one was basically Red Baron in spaaaace before Resistance did the same thing.

???

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

it's straight up fuckin' 12 year old boy fanfiction

just embarassing

Those stills look great tho

And at least Cumberbatch didn't brown face it like Montalban

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Zas posted:

i imagine its a social thing for upper middle class people, not too different than like nba season tickets or something

I hope these regulars at least pay obsessive attention to personnel changes and management decisions like with sports, and get drunk and boisterous about it

*turns to friend "Goofy's been underperforming lately hopefully he can turn it around by the end of the season"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

I hope the angry hobo guy and alien with the rear end coming out of his mouth from the cantina pop out and scream at you while you're in line trying to order a $20 cheeseburger.

I'll have you know that angry hobo is a Doctor

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In hindsight it's a surprise he didn't do any long-term / open-ended mystery stuff with Star Trek.

The nu-Treks are good precisely because they weren't made by Trek fans. There's a distinct distance (beyond the literal alternate universe plot) between them and the old stuff.

I remember peeps having concerns in 2018 when Abrams said he was more of a star wars guy but had respect for or interest in trek. He and the writers, regardless of Simon Pegg's claims, clearly based their stories more on the cultural osmosis of Trek than any real familiarity, as the seminal essay Kirk's Drift documents.

I totally understand where many old Trekkies' distaste comes from, but it's not hard to imagine Paramount trying a super safe and boring approach, like Disney has done.

Say what you will about their quality compared to old trek, but the new trilogy is wild and mean and carelessly stupid fun. Whereas the ST isn't even an interesting mess :(

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

The casting and acting are both really good, but the writing is poo poo.

Welcome to Disney Land

edit (Jurassic world, last Jedi, king of the monsters, and so on etc)

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 14, 2019

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, wouldn't you?

Speaking as a rotting cyborg husk, yeah i totally would

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sylink posted:

This trilogy reminds me exactly of the prequels in that they could have started the plot on the 3rd movie and went from there, and it would have been better.

But that would mean no pod racing! Hard no

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

But you knew that because of the OT??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mandrel posted:

for real we’re all just arguing about the space kids movies on the Internet while we kill time at work or whatever. if anyone here legitimately cares that much about this poo poo take a minute and evaluate what you’re doing here

Speak for yourself I quit my job to post in here

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

R2D2 fucks, like a lot

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Chewbacca is volcel

I don't know what that is but he's a bit of a deadbeat dad

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The thing about Luke is I don't believe he would ever start a Jedi academy in the first place, even though that's the premise of most supplementary books. He threw his lightsaber away in RotJ.

That's what I thought for years, but a screenshot from the Ewok party shows its back on his belt by the end. He probably scooped it up with the force while dragging his fried dad into the elevator

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, he wasn't saying he would never fight again, he was saying he wouldn't give in to his anger and murder his defenseless father. Hell, he even says right then, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Him starting a new Jedi Academy makes perfect sense.

It makes sense now that the Disney films have unintentionally confirmed Luke et al didn't learn anything from the mistakes of the previous generation. Before TFA it was ambiguous whether the new Republic would be like the old one or be more just and avoid it's fate.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

It’s kind of wild that Abrams’ Star Trek movies, while certainly not perfect, are much better than his Star Wars ones. How the hell did that happen?

iirc by his own admission he was never a big trek fan growing up, but absolutely was of star wars.

Fan is short for "fanatic".

You ever watch one of those ultra Christian movies? Not the kind by Scorsese or even Gibson, but like focus on the family poo poo? Yeah, it's like that

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Khan was smuggling them out of cold storage where RoboCop was holding them hostage. Khan probably chose torpedoes so that they would end up on the battleship he built and could control alone, but Marcus caught them. He gave them to Kirk to carpet bomb Kronos with, which would remove all the evidence and give him the war he felt was necessary.

It's just a run of the mill black ops double cross.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Nutreks are pretty good to decent, even though it's true they have no respect for the OG trek characters. It's a mirror universe, but instead of evil goatees it's the Kirk's Drift phenomenon.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There's usually plenty of things to criticize an Abrams story for, but being too complex to understand is a strange angle

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If Marcus knew what was in the torpedoes why not just kill them immediately (or use them as leverage against Khan, like he was doing originally) rather than going through a convoluted scheme to have Kirk launch them at Kronos.

Marcus and Khan very obviously despise each other. Marcus is the head of section 31, those were his people Khan blows up. Even if it wasn't personal between them, it's perfectly in character for either the war-mongering admiral or demonic space lord to be vicious.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

TOO BAD THE PREQUELS WERE BAD MOVIES.

It's fascinating just how much star wars fans don't like star wars.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bad acting?? In an outer space fantasy movie!?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Friends, if you truly enjoy the OT, then you don't really care about bad acting or ridiculous SFX or whatever. Focus on on what the PT is saying about us and our society. Reflect on your politics and you'll know why you like or dislike the prequels; there would be more dignity in that then pretending to be confused or regurgitating rlm memes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is loving rediculous. I can agree with and understand the prequels politics and still think theyre bad movies.

Nope, sorry that's not allowed

of course we can. But then we gotta say what's bad about the movies beyond our private emotional responses. And I'm reacting to the constant complaints that should apply equally (if not more so) to the OT, and yet obviously never are

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

weekly font posted:

Game of Thrones all over again

Rey is Luke & Leia's offspring

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

porfiria posted:

Right--the prequels aren't nearly Leftist enough.

I'm not sure how they could be more critical of liberal capitalism, but ok.

PeterWeller posted:

Nope. The morality around droids is terribly inconsistent. And it's arguable about whether or not he is "killed". He still exists afterwards. He's still the same exact person.

Threepio isn't like Finn, he can't reverse or escape his brain wash. If you lose your whole personality and memory and never recover any of it, are you really the exact same person?

I mean, people drastically change in their lives, describing themselves as new or reborn, even without being mind wiped against their will.

Anyways, while whatever happens to slaves in star wars is perfectly legal & ordinary, its obviously morally wrong. What are some examples of it being inconsistent?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That also describes Artoo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Reminder of what video game cutscenes in 2000 actually looked like since the stupid meme has returned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0jCgxIhrI

It is stupid but I love prequel hater logic

Surely my case is stronger the more I pretend to not know what I'm talking about!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Parrotine posted:

We both know George fired anyone who even remotely questioned his decisions back in the day, nothing but a platoon of yes men fearful of losing their livelihoods remained

I didn't know that, source?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CaptainN posted:

I met Peter Mahew at Star Wars Celebration.
I paid my £30/£40 for him to sign something, and asked if he would be kind enough to sign a Topps trading card. It was the one showing the ceremony at the end of ANH, and so I asked if he would "right a wrong" and draw on a medal for Chewie.

He went apeshit "I'm not here for personalisations!!! You're lucky I'm even going to sign it!!".

I'm glad that he's not around to see Chewie get his reward on the big screen.
Absolute oval office.

That rules, sorry

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

weekly font posted:

It's gonna be borderline impossible to find now so I'm just gonna hope whoever posted it in here sees this request:

Someone posted a picture of some dipshit up on a stage probably giving a TED talk at Facebook HQ or something that had a sign in the background that said something like MAKE THE CONSUMER YOUR ______ MAKE YOUR BRAND A RELIGION etc

If you could repost that for me that'd be swell thank you.

I would also like to know more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Darko posted:

The original KOTOR2 had so many game-ending bugs that it was essentially unplayable for anyone that just happened to be unlucky enough to do a wrong sequence - and there were like 5 of them in which you wouldn't realize you broke the game until 4 or 5 hours later, which could also mess up your multi-save backups of earlier points to progress from.

Sounds kinda awesome, more games should do that!

Consequences for your choices!