Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My money is in 3PO cos his merch is weak, his voice actor is old and he has the “one last look” poo poo in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The point of her parents being nobodies is that the force is not genetic and this is no longer a story about genetic supremacy.

Snoke dying was a rejection of the big bad guy format.

Both subversive choices I applaud Johnson for. He made an unconventional tentpole film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jedi were literally a master race. They have their own religion based around their supremacy. There’s opportunities open to Jedi or force sensitive people that are not available to others.

When they find one of their kind in slavery, Qui Gon goes to great lengths to free him, ignoring every other slave.

Everyone likes to imagine they’d be a Jedi or a sensitive. Imagine for a minute you’re a shuttle mechanic. How do you feel about the Jedi intervening in politics, or whisking toddlers away?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The concept that Rey or Yoda is “genetically superior” is a pretty dubious way to prove that it’s not a genetic trait.

When Qui Gon gets the midichlorian reading (ugh) he asks about the boys’ father. It’s plainly inheritance and that is uncool.

The most famous scene in these films is the parental reveal. TLJ inverts that - her parents are dead losers who mean nothing. If JJ walks that back, fine, but I think it was a brave choice.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Agreed on that front, and yes, the Owning Of The Jedi is a big lol.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sword Diplomat! Sword Scholar! Get on the battle bus!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gonz posted:

Ol’ Mace didn’t exactly bring the first team All-Stars with him to arrest Palpatine, either.

Those dudes getting trounced instantly is very funny. Did he find them trying to free a head tentacle from a Jedi temple vending machine on his way out?

I’m sure they’re absolute killers in semicanon literature. What a franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I won’t say that the EU is good but it’s at least content set in the same universe, and there’s a lot of it to crib from. So, for this to be the one major franchise that is somehow being freewheeled and retreading itself is really amazing.

I’m just glad we got Rogue One out of this mess.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Poe isn’t sensitive is he? There’s your swashbuckling lad right there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People say he’s had his career tanked but it seems like he’s retired to a ranch and works sporadically. Seems like a great outcome IMO. I’m sure he’s a little sad he didn’t end up being Leo or whatever but still, blessed life.

My fave Ep3 details are his mullet evoking Vader’s helmet and when he gets mad he does a JEJ impression that’s honestly not the worst.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

At a minimum, you must be a hunk in order to bypass the age limit

Like 70s Mark Hamill.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Finn bin Dameron Di Starkiller

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 6, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Excited to see the flashback to palpatine breeding, robe off

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

porfiria posted:

Aren’t midochondria inherited from the mother?

depends if you’re orthodox or reform Jedi

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s doubly dull because not only is he the only ever defector but no one gives a poo poo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

more 👏 women 👏 in 👏 charge 👏 of 👏 being 👏decimated 👏 by 👏 nazis

If there's any answer to this, I think it's ultimately that good things take time and the disney star wars machine started in a big loving hurry. The suits wanted the star wars investment to start printing money as soon as humanly possible and waiting for a good and polished script with a thought out plan for future films was not on the table. There was probably also a (perhaps justified) belief that the IP would carry them through a period of rushed material while things spun up to a point of producing "quality". If you ever listen to JJ talk about TFA (don't recommend it though) he basically just says the movie was rushed over and over in different ways

What’s insane is that THIS is the franchise that’s rushed. They could’ve tapped dozens of people or metres of EE stories but instead it’s slap shot and rough shod. How is this franchise only slightly more organised than loving x-men?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

“Rose” is also a hella weird Star Wars name. That’s an earth plant. Everyone else is called Poe Dameron or Kitt Fisto orLando Calrissian or Boba Fett. She’s Rose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone posted:

Luke. Ben. Owen. Finn. Tobias. Max.

[edit] I forgot Dexter.

They aren’t all Gial Akbar, but Luke is clearly named for Lucas and Finn is a flattened acronym. The others are pretty plain by our standards. Rose just sticks out because the etymology is so clearly from an earth “thing” you know?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

And what the hell's a 'Falcon'?!

The second part of the name of a large prop. It’s often proceeded with Millenium which we have too. We also have Sky and Walking but the mashup makes it more Star Wars.

I’m not saying TLJ / Rose is bad I just find it’s a weird name for SW. I wonder what the origin is. I hope it’s not just a pretty flower for a girl but it probably is!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fellas ...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[Me, seeing a Christian] oh gently caress it’s the pope

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah imagine seeing ROTJ with no clue what’s going to happen, in theatres, and a fucken wizard shows up and starts shooting lightning.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

R2D2 also fucks a lot while TARS is volcel

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

two blue sabres confirm Kylo is a good guys and so is Rey

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just lol if you think they won’t rehash the skywalker name. Even that nonsense about the leads leaving had a price tag attached.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The pitch for Mandalorian getting accepted probably included a mock-up of a baby yoda merch line.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oscar Isaac and John Boyega did like half of the TFA press tour holding hands.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yet again I call for Shane Carruth to be given total control of this franchise. Or James Wan. Either is good.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

they should have given it to hideaki anno

SW is at its best when it’s stealing from Japan, so just go all in and get Anno. You thought people had trouble with the themes in TLJ. Anno SW would be insane and probably pretty offensive to its audience. I’d be so down.

Shin Star Wars.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I did not find this hard to follow and everyone pretending it’s Upstream Colour or something confuses me. The movie is about as good as it’s two siblings and a fine end cap for the trilogy. Would like something fresher next. Shame they wasted a stellar cast for all of these. Next!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The dagger was the only part I didn’t really get however I have no dagger / sextant experience and trusted the film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

xarph posted:

Once the blu ray is out and people can easily fool with it in Premiere, I really want to see a supercut of leia talking in reverse angle to the bruce lee cardboard cutouts in Game of Death.

I want one of those cuts where they loop and stretch a clip out so a scene is forty times longer. Of the scene where Kylo is shifting Rey’s corpse around. It felt long but I want that extendo cut.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Faster. More intense. Might’ve been the wrong thing to learn from Lucas.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They let Edwards do a movie where Mads was a good guy and there were no sequel hooks or spinoffs so who knows what they’re doing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fanfic ideas are good and all but fleshing them out would be challenging. My idea for a sequel trilogy would’ve been the remnants of the empire doubling down on the fascism and the new characters being essentially revolutionary figures also Castro / Guevara

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Merch is probably pretty lucrative

I think this may be the cined understatement of the century.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t have a summation of it but it does feel weird that Finn instantly had the best connection (and by far the most lines with) the two other black characters as soon as they’re introduced. Ackie barely spoke to the others. I don’t know what it means but it’s definitely something to think on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the prequels now but you really do have to wonder how much of TROS billion dollar marketing scheme was a psyop to rehab them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That'd rule but no chance Disney would let it happen. Fun mental image is the iconic Che Guevera stencil, but it's Jar Jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

swagless homies itt