Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

RLM's good for those old Plinkett reviews and their features on crappy B-films. They're a bit up their own rear end about modern blockbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

stop

maul time

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fits with the character :shrug:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Reminder that the Falcon is only slightly less hosed up than the Resistance is at the end of TLJ:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I liked that fake leak about Rose, Poe, and Finn having a Temple-of-Doom-style dinner with the Hutts and DJ a lot more :sigh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Luke's first words to Rey being "My baby girl" was the actual best fake leak

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

"It turns out Padme didn't die after all! In other news, Natalie Portman became the highest-paid actor on the planet today when"

This one makes me smile by virtue of the idea of Mark Hamill saying "Are you loving kidding me?" as ghost Ben and Yoda look down in shame

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

No joke, I would love it if they chose to emulate the prequels with a time-skip like that

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Johnson at the very least is getting deep into the "what makes a Star War a Star War" mindset in prep for his trilogy:

quote:

"I'm looking at everything right now. I'm honestly just in this very nice 'OK, what is this thing going to be?' phase. Really, the only goal I have is to think about how Star Wars made me feel as a kid. And that's it. I'm trying to capture: what is that, if it's not iconography that we recognize, necessarily, from the original trilogy? What captures that spirit? What can be that for a kid who's never heard of Star Wars? It's getting back to the very fundamental questions of what makes this what it is."

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a853821/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-plans-approach/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

When hasn’t it been doomed

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah those Ewok movies were decent

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

#releasethelucascut

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*thick french accent* All blockbusters are inherently exploitative

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Y'all are forgetting that JJ can cut a mean-rear end trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

IX will do fine.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm actually kinda expecting Infinity War 2 to pull a TLJ; ridiculous opening weekend numbers, relatively-steep drop-off because there's no way they craft a conclusion to that cliffhanger that doesn't piss a bunch of people off.

The other films I'm less confident in making hot takes about since their marketing cycles have yet to begin

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd imagine something called a "cloaked binary beacon" in dialogue would do a decent job of not broadcasting a signal for Hux to track. It's only a Chekhov's Gun in the sense that it allows Rey to use her own beacon to find the Resistance survivors at the end of the film.

edit: My first thought when they introduced them was actually that of the closed-system, quantum entanglement communicators in Mass Effect. Not quite the same use, but a similar concept in that a holder of the beacon would be able to discern a paired beacon's location, no matter where it was.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 27, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interesting if true. Is any of this online in any more detail or is it entirely insider stuff?

I wonder what they will try to course-correct? You mentioned young fans not biting as hard as they might like (I'm curious whether that was a problem for the prequels as well - I was one of those young fans in 1999-2005 so I have no idea) - my impression is that a lot of the things you see people complain about on the Internet aren't really the sort of things that must be urgently corrected to get the kids to turn out, so I'm not sure what the solution there is.

Of course, I have no idea what kids actually like these days. I guess they like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so I suppose the obvious answer is

Anecdotally, it sucked being a young fan in the Prequel era. I had a few friends who liked Star Wars, but on the whole, admitting you enjoyed anything of the then-current films was basically painting a big "I'M A DORK, BULLY ME" sign on your tween back.

Relative to that, it certainly seems that TCW was far more successful in expanding the younger portion of the fanbase.

And as far as course-correcting goes, there's not much to be done besides catering even further to the nostalgia-minded audience. The rumor is that Johnson's trilogy is going to be made with an "all-ages" focus, so if they keep him around, there's another opportunity to attract younger fans.

I will say though, that (again, anecdotally speaking) kids seem to be digging the sequels at least. I'll never forget walking out of TLJ in front of a mom who was angrily losing her poo poo about Luke dying while her son verbally shrugged and talked about how cool the Yoda cameo was.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

What? They were very popular films, especially with children. I'm pretty sure bullies don't pick their targets by their taste in Star Wars films. (If they did life would just be a little bit funnier.)

Not solely, no, but if you really believe that kids don't often bully other kids for the most inconsequential poo poo (such as "liking the prequels") then I dunno what to tell you.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

I'm not trying to tell you that you weren't bullied but by definition an inconsequential thing doesn't really matter. I'm sure somewhere there is a bully who is beating up kids for playing hockey or whatever but hockey plays a very small part in that equation.

Yeah, I muddled my point a bit by starting out with a seemingly-objective statement like "It sucked to be a young prequel fan" despite what I was going for being more anecdotal in nature.

Also I just assume folks are posting in here because the goons who poo poo up the discussion in the other thread largely don't post in this one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This was middle school, so like 11 or 12, I think.

Also, for the sake of spoiler discussion, one recent "leak" described some concept art of Kylo flying the Falcon. Not much of a plausible scenario, unless he's getting redeemed.

So what are the odds, folks, of a redemptive arc in IX? My potentially having a problem with it largely depends on execution (and how Rey might factor in) - not so much the concept itself.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cue the "Rey's mom!!11!" and associated fart noises

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1015282239188361216

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Speaking as someone who found the endless amounts of fan speculation surrounding TFA and TLJ super loving tedious to say the least

IX having a relatively clean slate to work with is hella dope

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

The Last Jedi leaves a good deal done and settled. We know who Snoke and Rey were (nobody important), what Snoke's going to be doing in episode IX (pushing daisies), what the conflict is in the next one (the First Order: Still assholes), and if Rey can beat Kylo (easily). The narrative is less a clean slate and more a Sudoku puzzle with almost every answer filled in.

*yoda voice* so certain are you

also nah people wondering endlessly about who hosed who to have Rey doesn’t so much indicate a blank slate as it does highlight critical analysis in the fandom railroaded into the same motifs again and again; that’s what’s so refreshing about the lead-up to IX, nearly all of that worn baggage is gone.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

At best, I would imagine they do some touching-up here and there to make it not completely obvious that the Leia footage is being lifted from two other films.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The real question is, who will disney sell star wars to

Ah yes can't wait to go to the newly-rebranded Astral Battles: Nebula's Rim attraction at Disneyland with fan favorite characters Furbookie and Captain Tetryon

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Old man Lando is lookin' fly

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here’s your drat spoilers

https://twitter.com/ladewig/status/1103719662142009345?s=21

Read the full thread for more deets

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The article cites Express, which is a tabloid that regularly cites Mike Zeroh for their Star Wars rumors, who is basically the modern Supershadow

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 9, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I can just imagine this alien’s voice, and it hurts

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

It's probably one of those bad Wal-Mart collage posters.

Yeeup. TFA had a similar leak in the lead-up to Celebration.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

LIES

DECEPTION

If you put Mark Hamill under Bor Gullet, he’d probably just become real-life Joker

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This creature is apparently part of the macguffin in IX, an "Oracle" that Kylo seeks out or is summoned by:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1116377831393468416

Kroll is a Variety reporter.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

I just hope it's a legit trailer and not a lame-o teaser.

The film's been in post for barely two months. It's definitely going to be a lame-o teaser.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Link to the reveal stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhiLZOprZE

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tossing this in like a soup bone for you feral dogs

leaks subreddit posted:

Just a quick gloss over of some of things hinted at in the 3 MSW trailer review podcasts - this is all recorded on a portable mic and much more casual, so kinda hard to transcribe

- Rey and Kylo meet for the first time for the film in the Jordan desert, the scene from the trailer, early in the film
- when they meet again later in the film they force link
- they start fighting in locations that neither of them are actually at (confusing) -it’s a continuation of the force Skype stuff from TLJ
- Jason wonders if the forceback in VII is a flash forward to the bit from the teaser
- Jason keeps saying he knows a lot
- he said he knows what happens with Kylo, but might have been being facetious
- he said there’s something to do with a graveyard or cemetery
- seems like this movies gonna get heavy spoiled pretty early

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Practically no difference between this thread and the main one atm, so here's some spoilers (link may not work, site appears to be getting a lot of traffic)

Making Star Wars posted:

The main sequence takes place between Adam Driver and Harrison Ford or Kylo Ren and Han Solo.

One source called it a surprise intervention of sorts.

A source that did not work on or see the sequence believed it takes place when Kylo Ren asks the burned Darth Vader helmet to show him the darkness again.

Luke Skywalker appears to be the twist in the encounter.

The source was paraphrasing but Han Solo tells Ben Solo it isn’t too late and the sequence has a tone of forgiveness and understanding to it.

He’s not a “force ghost” in the classic sense and he’s part of a “vision” or “dream” type moment induced by Luke Skywalker.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

I am upset on the internet about a movie that hasn't happened yet.

Well, at least you're honest about it.

I too love Star Wars, and will likely be seeing this opening night. Schlock or not, it's still Star Wars.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Haven't checked these out yet, but the problem with every fan documentary I've ever seen is that they just spend the whole time jerking the subject off. Like, a lot of these films deserve really interesting and in-depth documentaries made on their influenced and their effects on the industry, or an examination of their thematic elements and breakdown of what makes their character moments so engaging and effective.

But in reality they just end up being a bunch of third-tier talking heads going "Isn't this movie amazing? Gosh did I love it as a kid." over and over again.

At least in regards to the Star Wars ones, these are literally just the films themselves with archival and interview footage overlaid at the appropriate points. Kinda like an expanded cast & crew commentary track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Didn't they say Sheev coming back was something that was planned from the outset?

fake edit: yep

quote:

“This has been in the blueprint for a long time, yeah. We had not landed on exactly how we might do that, but yes, it was always [to be in Episode IX],” Kennedy told Yahoo Entertainment’s Kevin Polowy.