Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Rogue One came out before Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts. But the second act sucks and the Endor part of the finale is really lifeless. The effects for the Death Star run are cool but its hard to care about what's going on since it's a retread of the finale of Star Wars. A lot of the film is just shot and staged really lazily too.

Jabba's Palace rules and the Throne Room rules but ROTJ is like tied for fifth best Star Wars film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

Defend horrible people despite having every reason too hate them?

Cast Kevin Spacey as Lobot

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dessel posted:

Also was Corellia retconned into a poo poo hole now? I swear it has been portrayed as a decent place in SW fiction before, all things considered. I mean I get that a planet would/could have various standards of living, especially during times of Galactic unrest.

It's never been portrayed in the films before, as far as I remember. Maybe it has in one of the TV shows, but books or other media don't really count.

Vinylshadow posted:

Hyperfuel, eh?

Is that what the Resistance didn't have enough of in TLJ?
Yet were still somehow able to fuel, what, over two dozen transport ships? (Whch admittedly didn't have that far to go, but still...)

Presumably the fuel that lets you fly in space and the fuel that lets you jump to hyperspeed are different.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sam Worthington was the lead actor in the biggest movie of all time.

Hey, he was good in Sabotage. But that's about 80% costuming.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

God drat it, I'm a huge Mangold fanboy, but him doing Star Wars--a solo Boba Fett movie, no less--leaves me absolutely cold.

Yeah, I have absolutely zero interest in a Fett movie and was glad when Josh Trank got booted from it because then he could do something else.

Make another Cop Land instead, Mangold!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gonz posted:

Also, apparently Chewie eats people.

I think they mention that they haven't fed Chewie in days, so it was more like Imperial racism. I don't know if Chewie was actually trying to eat Han or just attacking him because he was mad.

He definitely should have pictured Han with the body of a roasted Porg like it was a Looney Tunes episode though.

Gonz posted:

And less of Emilia Clarke, who is a heinous actor.

I really want to know what kind of direction Ron Howard could have been giving her that she liked so much more than Lord & Miller's "you're a woman from a film noir" because I didn't see much of anything on screen. I'm neutral about her on Game of Thrones and actually didn't hate her in Terminator Genisys but, man, this was a nothing role as written and she brought nothing to it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Milky Moor posted:

imagine if you had've said to people, hey, this is how the disney-era star wars is going to go. no one would believe you. you'd probably have been banned from any and all star wars discussions.

"Disney is going to make yearly Star Wars films including unimaginative origin stories for popular characters" wasn't exactly impossible to predict.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Erotic Wakes posted:

I still see people presenting that fanfiction about how Iron Man 2 would have been better if the elder Stark had been the one who stole the tech from Vanko as actual fact to this day.

That would have been better. Iron Man 2 is bad.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Can you imagine if they actually waste more time on Mr. Smoke.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Trevorrow we got around to seeing Jurassic World yesterday and wow, they made a flick worse than Jurassic Park 3.

Joe Johnston is a good director from time-to-time. Trevorrow's best film is a bottom-tier indie comedy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

There's no way they recast Leia and Episode IX is obviously gonna start with her funeral. Anything else would be totally insane.

But I also think it'll be crazy if they don't revisit DJ, unless they're saving him for Johnson's separate trilogy. He was my favourite part of TLJ. I love Benicio and his mellow Roger Rabbit-meets-Han Solo vibe was very dope.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

He's good but Jurassic World was not one of those times.

You mean Jurassic Park III? I agree. But the birdcage setpiece is still better than anything in World.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Erotic Wakes posted:

Whenever I see people presenting ussourced but totes legit insider rumors about upcoming Star Wars movies as absolute fact I remember this part of The Secret History of Star Wars and have a sensible chuckle.

I mean, we're only a few years removed from that totally confirmed production leak about how The Force Awakens started with Darth Vader's glove falling to a planet from orbit and being a major plot point in the film, people are gullible as poo poo.

This a cool article about a guy who made up spoilers during the prequels and got a huge following.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/star-wars-supershadow-spoilers

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

AlternateAccount posted:

Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII.

No it shouldn't have.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Milky Moor posted:

I HAVE HERE IN MY HAND A LIST OF 205 PEOPLE WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE MEMBERS OF THE DISNEY STAR WARS COMMITTEE

Hahahaha

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Billy Dee Williams is in exceptionally poor health and can barely walk, I imagine that might have something to do with it.

Didn't stop them from throwing a huge coat on Peter Mayhew!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Slutitution posted:

It had a $700 million drop from TFA, which is insane. Most audiences didn't like it on aggregate scores. Meanwhile, each successive Marvel movie keeps making more and more money each time. But keep dying on that TLJ hill, I guess.

This is a really stupid lie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the argument that's like 'duhhh the movie made money how can you say people didn't like it' is bizarre

like yes friend, people have to pay money to see the movie before they know whether or not they'll dislike it

Yeah, if anyone was saying that it would be weird.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty hilarious in hindsight that the one Mission Impossible that JJ directed is the one with the macguffin that you never get a clear answer about.

And yet, still JJ's third-best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

2house2fly posted:

He saved C3PO from being melted down for scrap and put him back together

Chewie and Anakin are maybe the least droid-racist characters in the Star Wars movies. Obi Wan is one of the most.