Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calico Heart posted:

Does that mean Disney are actually acknowledging the prequels exist???
In TLJ Luke talked about Darth Sidious and how the Jedi of the prequel era failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

it's because focus testing denied him the death he was fated for after helping finn out at the start of tfa

poe only exists as a person for about 20 minutes of film, everything after he's a soulless husk imitating one

Nah they added him back in pretty early in production, it wasn't done in last minute reshoots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Were the dice visible in any format of the OT? I could infer that they were supposed to be Han’s but at first I thought “What the hell are those?”

They're visible in the sense that that are in the shot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Ok yeah, no way I could see those while watching on VHS as someone said above. I remember seeing the special editions in theaters and not seeing them either. I wasn’t particularly looking too closely though
They are out of shot most of the time.

The clearest time you see them is when Chewie sits down in the cockpit for the first time and bumps his head on them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

I forgot about Chewies radio shack headset. Who is he even talking to with those? Hans not wearing any
He wants to ignore Han but is being polite about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Clone Wars and Rebels are both canon, and Maul appears in both.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Are both clone wars cartoons canon or just the cgi one

Just the CGI one. I think the first one was semi-canon even in the old continuity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Also can anyone name a worse Actor/Actress then Emilia Clarke who has risen to prominence in the last 15 years? She is not and has never been good in anything, we're just kind of used to a stilted and weird dragon queen in GOT

Sam Worthington was the lead actor in the biggest movie of all time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The fight in Rebels happens after Solo, so they've only retconned Maul back to life once so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

To be fair, if the EU didn't exist, Maul coming back would be the standard, "Whaaaa? I thought he was dead!" twist that can happen in movies and shows and comic books all the time. It's that old rule of, "If you don't see a body, he's not dead." You saw him with his lower torso cut off and falling, but who cares? This is Star Wars where they seem to be able to heal anything. Point is he's alive. That the cartoon shows have already covered how he came back kinda doesn't matter. What matters is what they do with him now.

In 1999 George Lucas posted:

At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back.

Also there's no reason to believe Maul died in Rebels. After all, he survived being cut in half and falling down a huge pit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like I definitely need to read up on why Darth Maul was in the movie though. I did not understand that part at all and I’m guessing it’s tied to The Clone Wars and Rebels shows?

Yup. They made a decent plot out of it too, if you ignore things like the obvious retcon and the worst named character in the franchise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

i don't know i think it's kind of messed up to talk up the first female droid, introduce her as a droid rights advocate, then blow her up and jam her brain into a ship so she can be the nav computer for all eternity

They did that to KT-18?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody's "confused". dude got cut in half and he fell down a shaft. you don't survive that. it's dumb they brought him back.
Yeah. Lucas had him cut in half specifically so that people wouldn't bring him back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

We have a canon death before ANH for maul, his movie would be even more useless than rogue one.
We had a canon death before AotC for Maul too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Hate that kind of poo poo, trying to legend up every aspect of the original trilogy. The Falcon has a peculiar dialect because it's been illegally modified to hell and back not because it's possessed by Lando's girlfriendtron

Also Lando gives precisely zero shits about it in RotJ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Death Star has a bunch of lasers that combine into one laser that can be aimed at individual ships.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Timby posted:

Outside of a small pocket of the Internet, I don't think the majority of the moviegoing populace is aware of, or gives a flying gently caress about, the re-shoots. The reasons for Solo's failure are simple:

- Terrible release window
- Terrible marketing campaign (remember, we didn't see anything, not even a promo photo, until three months before release)

Also it wasn't that good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So if one train carriage worth of coaxium can blow up half a mountain, how big would the explosion be from a whole train's worth?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huge if true.

(Disclaimer: probably almost certainly not true)
Well he did say several words in TFA.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Was the whole train carrying it? I thought they had to specifically target that carriage because the rest was full of other supplies like food and guns and other stuff you'd find in a military transport.

I might have missed that, would explain things though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Guiness13 posted:

There is foreshadowing of the ram, just not like that. When Leia floats back through the destroyed bridge, she floats directly through the hologram of Snoke's ship, which breaks up.

https://twitter.com/Josh_Scully/status/1003996810749173762

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Last Jedi really does not feel like the product of a committee.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The bloated runtime, meandering subplots that ultimately go nowhere, punched up jokey dialogue in the middle of serious moments and reset to Rebels vs. Empire unto eternity all feel like committee rewrites to me.

I would have expected a safer, blander film from a committee.

To me it feels like they let Johnson do whatever he wanted within some very broad boundaries, which is why he completely ignored the setup JJ did for some things (notably Snoke, Rey's parents) and why he wasn't willing to kill his darlings and cut some stuff that needed to be cut.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I saw somewhere that people are thinking Mark Hamill won't be in it because he's shaved off his beard.

Do these people know how facial hair works?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Szmitten posted:

Rogue One did better than Solo tho

Neither of those films fit the description.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The problem with Snoke dying is that the movies did a terrible job of explaining the state of the galaxy and his backstory was presumably a big part of that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

well, snoke was obviously going to be plagueis given they used that theme and all
It's not necessarily Plagueis' specific theme. Variants of the leitmotif appear elsewhere in the film, and there are other themes that change over the movies (the Rebel Fanfare becomes more and more associated with the Falcon, Binary Sunset becoming the general "Force" theme).

Plus you've got things like the Resistance music sounding like the Nazi themes in Indiana Jones, and Sideways' argument that Williams didn't know what Rey's plotline was going to be and so just planned for everything that suggest the music shouldn't be the last word.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 12, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solo didn't need any help to flop.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cinemascore isn't necessarily a useful way to look at a movie and if you want an example of why have a look at the films that have got an F.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

It's so evil it's Mordor and Angband in one :ohdear:

Also moribund.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Trade Federation lead by Newt Reagan?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

Hard to criticize JJ on this one, the new characters who were introduced in return of the jedi really made the film

The Emperor kinda did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Is the ship a painting or a model there?
Painting I think, partly because it's completely static in the shot. I think the ramp and landing gear were actually on set though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 4, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

Hutts
Hey guys I predict the third movie of the sequel movie will have some similarities to the third movie of the original trilogy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Purple hair lady should have been axed and leia should have made the heroic sacrifice at the end.

https://twitter.com/Josh_Scully/status/1003996810749173762

But I can see them wanting Leia alive for the final film rather than killing off both Luke and Leia in this one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SirDrone posted:

Was this Karen Davis honorable jetpack military men bullshit before or after KOTOR because I'm pretty sure mando's were pretty much vikings that tried to start a war with jedi and be all gun-ho about trophies and glory of battle existed back then too.

Shortly after I think.

Her early Mando stuff isn't bad (and is pretty consistent with their other portrayals), it just gets progressively worse and worse over time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DARPA chief : What I'm about to tell you is classified information. Okay? We were conducting excercises of a new type of experimental weapon. A weapon that will change the world.

Snake: What?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Midi-chlorians, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1076323027644702720