Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

So Palpatine is back, and no real explanation is given? They don't even bother to explain that he maybe cloned himself... am I understanding correctly? And he has managed to build hundreds of star destroyers, and find people to crew them, and nobody had any idea this was happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 28, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I can never see Morrison without thinking of his Jake the Muss character, and I also kind of picture his Boba Fett as this person—a vicious, alcoholic, self-loathing brawler.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I recently watched Solo again myself, and my opinion on it has softened quite a bit over time. I didn’t care for it at all the first time I watched it several years ago, but I had a pretty good time with it this last viewing.

BUT… I also recently rewatched Rogue One. And man… that is a really, really good loving movie, I think. I dig the darker tone, I like how the combat scenes are a bit more visceral than the ones in a lot of SW films. And I just think it’s really solid overall. Am I wrong?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I realize this is pretty low on the list of complaints about the ST, but did they seriously never explain Kanata’s “That’s a story for another time” about how she got Luke’s saber from Bespin?

Not even in a novel or comic book?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know this has all probably been endlessly litigated in this and other threads here, but I rewatched the ST recently, and my main complaint is really, really nerdy.

They have other issues of course, but my main complaint is that when you describe a universe, a setting, and you show what is possible and what is not possible, you’ve got to stick to that.

So this is disgustingly nerdy, but hey, this is the thread for that, right?

1) In TFA, we have the moment where Solo decides to make the jump into hyperspace… from inside the hanger of the ship holding it. I mean it’s sitting there inside the bay, landing skids extended, and he just goes right to it.

(Okay, maybe he did come up into a hover and retract the skids, I don’t remember, but would that even matter?)

If this is a thing that was possible to do, it sure would have come in handy in ANH when they take off from docking bay 94, and are pursued by three imperial cruisers as they exit Tattooine’s atmosphere.

It also would have come in REALLY handy when they escape from Death Star 1 in ANH, where instead they fly out, and are pursued by TIE fighters.

And we’ve seen that it’s the navicomputer that’s responsible for this, it has to plot a course around stars and planets because even in hyperspace, you can’t fly through those. And computing this, even for a short jump, takes time.

2) In TLJ, our heroes encounter the old, familiar problem of needing to land on a planet that has a planetary shield. Solo decides to somehow exit hyperspace in the incredibly short space between the planetary shield, and the surface of the planet.

He pulls this off, and nearly lawndarts into the surface of the planet, but I mean, come on!

If this was possible surely it would have been done before, and used as a battle tactic.

The technology in this galaxy seems to have been largely stagnant, for perhaps thousands of years, and I know the idea is that Solo is like the best pilot ever, and it’s a huge risk, but somehow 72 year-old Solo is able to pull this off.

3) I hate to even bring this up, because it’s arguably one of the coolest moments of the ST, but Laura Dern (I forget her character name) turning her big cruiser around to point it at the imperial armada, and engaging hyperdrive so close to them that it hasn’t quite exited realspace and instead just destroys the majority of the imperial fleet.

If THIS was a thing that could be done, it would’ve been used as a military tactic for hundreds or thousands of years prior.

You could have ships minimally-crewed with people willing to give up their lives to do this, or even better, and certainly within the realm of technology in this universe, ships that are not crewed but instead remotely piloted, with hyperdrives, and it’d be more devastating than the big superturbolaser planet-killing arrays arrays on the death stars.

If you establish what ships can and can’t do, you’ve got to stick to it, man! And the thirty years that have passed between Ep. 6 and 7/8 I don’t think can account for these new tactics and abilities.

Lastly, 4) Luke’s force-projection.

This was also a very cool moment, and I guess I can buy that Luke is Son of the Chosen One and maybe he can do this, something I don’t think anybody else has done even in EU stuff.

But I mean… Yoda is arguably the most powerful force user we’ve ever seen in all of SW. Why didn’t he ever do this? Or some of the powerful Jedi from the Old Republic?

I feel ashamed just to have typed all this out, but I’m leaving it.

If the answers are “Well yes but Disney sucks” I’m fine with that.

If I’m wrong about any of this, then please correct me. I don’t know much of the EU, and maybe some of this stuff was at least shown at some point there, I dunno.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I think in comparison to things like hyperspace skipping, launching from inside the hanger, hyperspacing to a planet's surface, or the other various "make the galaxy as small as possible" filming manuevers we got in TFA/TROS - this is far less egregious and so cool as a scene that you should just let it go.

I think you are right.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am really looking forward to Ahsoka, she was my favorite character from TCW. And hers was my favorite episode of Mando S2.

I hope they get this right.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Larryb posted:

Have you seen Rebels? Because this is supposed to be a direct sequel picking up right where it left off (weird that they didn't just make it an animated series then though)

I haven’t seen season 3/4. I really need to finish those.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Assepoester posted:

Cop shows are already like a third of all television produced.

This is because the knights of Ren were going to be a bigger part of the original Ep IX Duel of the Fates, it was only post-TLJ that Disney threw everything they had in the trash and basically started over

One can see how Rey and Kylo taking on the Knights of Ren on a swamp/desert/tree planet would have been better than them taking on faceless red mooks in the Red Snoke Room

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Knights of Ren as primary antagonists would have saved the ST

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

euphronius posted:

9 was bad but 8 out of 9 of the main title movies were good and that’s a way better success rate than Marvel hits

I like our chances of another good movie

The Star Wars movie genre is def not over exposed like comic book movies are also

8 out of 9?

I’m not too sure I agree with your police work there, Norm

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

well why not posted:

It appears that the people referred to as Tuskens are the traditional custodians of Tatooine. The human outposts would rightfully be considered colonial outposts. The Skywalkers are farming on land which was never ceded.

Yep, hence the danger of Tusken Raider attacks on settlements.

How the Skywalker farm is able to survive out in the middle of nowhere with Lars, Beru, and young Luke and not get overrun by hostile Sandpeople I don’t know that I’ve ever heard explained. I suppose like Native Americans, the Sandpeople have been beaten down and forced into isolated areas, far away from human settlements and cities like Mos Eisley. I guess.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Like any long-running tv series, Clone Wars has some episodes that are real clunkers.

But when it’s good, it’s *real* good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thought this was very well-done:

https://youtu.be/Bqfi1KQc_to?si=S3xJ1BiBMwy9DtRL

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Nah, that guy was just a random warrior who was a member of a "clan". The saber flashback scene originally had a more complete picture of how the saber made it to Maz (though no explanation for how it made it off Bespin), which was:
  • Movie opens with Luke's hand floating through space clutching the saber
  • Saber falls into atmosphere of planet, with the hand burning away
  • Some alien finds the saber in a field, doesn't know what is and accidentally starts a brushfire when they turn it on
  • The alien sells it to a trader or a member of the "clan"
  • Kylo and the knights kill the clan to acquire the saber.
  • Maz steals it from the Knights' campfire

Good grief. IMO this is even worse than just leaving it at “That’s a story for another time”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

The prequels are a strange contradiction where everyone would say that they did not like them yet this did not stop anyone from seeing them or being excited for the next one. I saw revenge of the sith twice in one weekend with my dad and he maintains he does not like it. Recently I got him to concede the mace windu death scene is good.

I told everyone I was disappointed with TPM. Also saw it in theaters six or seven times :shepface:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes but

THE DEAD SPEAK!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How does a blaster bolt work, and what would it feel like to get shot by one (assuming you survived)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

All these points about Mandalorian are valid.

For me personally, it just doesn’t matter. I think the show is really fun, and it was the first thing that felt really Star Wars to me since the later seasons of The Clone Wars.

I will keep watching that garbage!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So, in this way, one simple fix for Season 2 to is to smush both it and Booka together into a single, actual narrative - and then delete a full third of the Booka episodes.

Agree 100%

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I hated it when Boga got killed :qq:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

10 episode Mace Windu Disney+ show. He falls the entire time, it all takes place midair in Coruscant. In the season finale he successfully hails a cab

Each city level he falls closer to his death is marked by flashbacks to previous eras of his life, during which he is forced to relive all the bad decisions of a lifetime that led to this defenestration

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d like to take this moment to quote my single favorite SMG Star Wars take of all time.

*pelted with garbage and bottles*

Yes, yes, I know, but I’m going to do it anyway.

This has probably fallen into archives because it’s from like eight years ago. (yes I’m weird I save poo poo)

Here's the issue: in Force Awakens, nobody gives a poo poo that Rey closes her eyes. It's like "eh, whatever?"

In Phantom Menace, Jar Jar steps on a piece of poo poo and it's insanely popular.

There's an immense amount of debate around Jar Jar getting poo poo on his foot. People have debated this for over a decade. Why does the poo poo-joke fascinate, while Abram's "powerful message of faith(?)" draws shrugs? The simple fact is that the poo poo-joke is extremely well-crafted. Lucas is so slick that people don't realize the full extent of the joke, even though it's burrowed into their psyches:

The part where Jar Jar actually steps on the poo poo is just the setup. The punchline comes at the end of the film, when Jar Jar steps on a corpse and it 'springs to life', beginning to fire randomly. This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

2house2fly posted:

That's good, though nothing beats "call Mace Windu the N word" or the time he got probated for a weirdly sexual post about Sonic The Hedgehog eating chili dogs

E: lmao

Oh my god, I remember that like it was yesterday, LOL. Where does the loving time go?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That SMG post is just classic. One of many where I read along and go “okay, yeah. I see what you’re saying” and then suddenly BAM— out of the blue, some absurdity.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Okay, I promise this is the last one. But it had to be posted because it’s the ongoing Star Wars poo poo theme.

This is an excerpt, but it does not take him out of context and the humor really comes through:

So we should read this scene very carefully. In Empire, we learn that every ship has its own intelligence. All vehicles, even whole cities, are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings. But here, in A New Hope, we already have this image a spaceship being consumed - and, in its death throes, making GBS threads itself in terror. The Rebel ship squeezes out a turd, and we then follow its trajectory as it plummets to the ground.

"Hold your fire. There are no life-forms. It must have short circuited." This spontaneous ship behavior is common enough, it seems, to be completely unremarkable.

Of course we know the plans are in the escape pod - but that's because this part of the story is told from C3PO's POV. For everyone else, the meaning is unambiguous: droids are poo poo. Nobody cares about them. They were made to suffer.

This grows into a whole space-poo poo theme that pervades everything. Han dumped his cargo at the first sign of an imperial cruiser. The Falcon, of course, 'plays dead' by shooting off its extra escape pods. And then, once they're in the Death Star, the cornered heroes escape a gunfight situation by jumping into a toilet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Robot Style posted:

so it seems pretty likely that the native Tuskens had a different name for it before it was colonized.

They did. It was called ᑐ ᑌ ᑎ ᕮ

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And of course, the Falcon literally merges with the garbage and sewage to escape from the imperials in Empire.

One might say the Falcon itself *is* poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

None of the lightsaber gimmicks matter if you don't make the actual affects of the lightsaber more terrifying and dangerous. When a lightsaber comes on, I want to have the characters cower and feel the air sizzle with tension. Make us feel that alongside the characters, and you don't need to add anything to them at all. Everything beyond the base-level sabers has only served to make them less threatening.

IMO they should do a story about some dude way out in the rear end end of the galaxy, who is the only dude that has a lightsaber.

This is after order 66, and this dude is a bad guy, totally insane, and he’s pretty much invulnerable. There’s no Jedi around!

He kind of just walks this planet, doing as he pleases.

And yeah when he ignites his saber, everyone cowers. And he will just chop anybody up, for any reason.

It will be like Sword of Doom, only the evil protagonist is the only one who has a weapon.