Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious about the comment in that Reddit thread that the Darth Maul idea apparently "came from George".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rawillkill posted:

that's in reference to clone wars

Ah, fair enough; I'd heard that Lucas helped to direct a scene and gave Howard some comments so Clone Wars didn't occur to me. I thought it was a bit of an odd idea there as well. Didn't know it was actually a Lucas idea rather than a Filoni one, though.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Even C-3PO knows it's dumb as hell and tries not to play along because "it's against my programming to impersonate a deity" even though he's able to do it just fine.

Han getting irritated and Luke cracking up in the background of that scene is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ptkfvk posted:

i feel like there was some stupid bunker incident we missed.

There were deleted scenes with the Rebels going through the bunker and another bit cut off the end of the scene where the Imperial officer catches them and sneers, "You rebel scum!" in which Harrison Ford puts his hands on his hips and goes, "Scum!?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts.

Good ol' Corpsey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

It seems to be the cool thing to do in general. A lot of people have turned on them recently. Probably as a result of the sequels trilogy soullessness getting people to notice the good aspects of the prequels. And as the big prequel bashers RLM becomes sacrificed on the altar of popular hate.

I don't think this is really a widespread thing, to be honest. I mean, most of the people I know who don't like the new movies tend to throw the words "as bad as than the prequels" around a lot. :shrug:

I think most normal people (i.e. people who go to see Star Wars movies in the cinema and like Star Wars but aren't part of the "Star Wars fandom") think they're all of a muchness. I'm pretty sure that prequel hate was more of a fandom thing or an Internet meme in any event. I don't think most moviegoers hated the prequels; didn't like them as much as the original ones at worst.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind RLM. I'm not sure why people treat them like they're the gospel truth or something, though. You know, did you ever see an Internet forum where people are saying, "Well, I think I'll need to wait and see what RLM has to say!"? I know I have.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So was Darth Maul surviving and coming back in Clone Wars really George Lucas's idea?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

At the very least he approved it. Dave Filoni ran the show, but Lucas had final approval on anything canon related. Only occasionally did Lucas actually have his own ideas for episodes, and I think we know which ones those were. Who knows what he and Filoni would talk about behind the scenes, though.

I think the Zillo beast - and making that episode a big Godzilla homage - was Lucas's idea. What else did he come up with for the show that we know about?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long has theForce.net been terrible now? Must be getting close to 20 years.

I posted regularly on the starwars.com message board when I was 12-14 (i.e. between AOTC and ROTS) and it was the most right-wing forum I think I've ever been a part of. They had this one guy who I think was this a big pillar of the community who'd go on about how unfairly Slobodan Milosevic had been treated for "trying to prevent the Islamification of Europe" and they'd have tons of people agreeing with them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

I remember massive arguments there before RotS over how there was no way palpatine would be darth sidious for <insert insane reason>

I remember when I was 14, I convinced myself that Lucas was going to pull a fast one somehow despite knowing better. :rolleyes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were 10,000 or so Jedi (I think it was in an episode of the Rebels cartoon) for the entire galaxy which probably had about [whatever the next -illion after trillion] people in it, so they were pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

Darth Maul was never a character. He was a lunchbox. He was literally conceived and designed above all else to look cool and get into a cool fight. He said one non-consequential thing and then went away, serving his purpose of becoming an action figure. This is not a timeless classic character who needs to be brought back because there is just more story to tell. He'sjust something people recognise and in the Obi Wan movie when he's the bad guy, he'll just be someone people recognise again. If given the choice, Disney will always elect to bring something old back than create something new.

If what I've read in this very thread is any indication, bringing back Darth Maul in the first place was apparently a Lucas idea from Clone Wars. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were people really super-excited about Boba Fett before and between ESB and ROTJ? Obviously he became the Wolverine of Star Wars in subsequent years, but were people complaining about his role / his death scene? I don't know what his presence in the pre-release marketing was like.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Style posted:

Apparently the intent with Finn was that he wasn't just abandoning the resistance, but rather going off to find Rey using the tracker Leia dropped. Unfortunately, they cut the scene that set this up, and his story for the rest of the movie had nothing to do with him trying to find Rey, so now he just comes off as a coward again.

I felt like that was in the finished movie anyway. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I want chewie to gently caress a porg

The Porg loving Movie, a film by Thierry Zéno.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think most people really care about what spaceships are in it all that much, just that there are some. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't really matter so long as people watch the movies and enjoy them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't be surprised if most Star Wars fans would rather see the exact same stuff they liked in the original trilogy over and over again than anything new and unusual.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like that's more of a general change in the way big expensive movies are shot over the past 40 years than a Star Wars thing in particular.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be much more interesting to me if the shadowy mastermind in Solo was Prince Xizor instead of Darth Maul.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

Anyway, sleep.

That boring, huh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think movie audiences should have to have seen a tie-in cartoon or read a tie-in comic to understand what's going on in a movie. All that stuff is essentially bonus content in my mind. It doesn't seem entirely fair on the audience to me. If they go forward with Darth Maul in the movies, I'd like to think they'd recap the high points of the stuff that's happened with him since TPM, but I realise that could be potentially be difficult to do without being clumsy given how much stuff there's been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

That may have been true back before the canon reset...but the Story Group has been super big on how everything is of equal weight, continuity wise, now.

The movies will obviously override the cartoons et al. when and where they need to, since they're what makes money (Solo notwithstanding lol), but my view is that most people are going to be spending money on cinema tickets and they shouldn't be expected to shell out for some comic book or video game to understand where something in the movie has come from.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The whole point of the Story Group existing at all is so the films don't end up overwriting anything.

I shall leave aside any point I made on conflicts between media and reiterate that I don't believe anyone going into a movie that they've paid for a ticket to see should be expected to have paid to read a comic or watch a cartoon to understand what's going on in that movie. The movies are the main event no matter what the story group's role in all this may be; everything else ties into those movies.

It's like how Agents of SHIELD will never drive the narrative direction of the MCU. It'll always be following the movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Like, what has the story group done that has had a detrimental effect on the movies, in your mind? Unless you were complaining about it's effect on the EU.

In which event, the story group is almost exactly the same team that served the same purpose before Lucasfilm was owned by Disney, but I don't think anyone ever seriously thought the EU was going to be significantly different (never mind better or worse) once it changed hands.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

It's Darth Maul's brother.

Darth Paul.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ended up enjoying it a lot. It was an amusing way to spend a couple of hours. It's almost a shame it'll probably flop. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Disney, please commission an 8 part series by Ken Burns on the history of Jizz music

And listen to kloo horn player Wyn'ton Marzal'iz pontificating about how everything sucked except the Max Rebo Band? No thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kevin Palpatine posted:

i want to see if they find a way to bring dooku back. like maybe some clone trooper packed his head on ice and later on someone attached it to a wookie's body. and then wookie-dooku will show up in the lobot movie, coming to theatres in 2022

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If they did anything genuinely new and different more people would probably complain that it's not what they're used to than would complain that it's the same old thing they've seen a dozen times before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there's no winning, a significant portion of the fanbase is going to bitch loudly no matter which choice you make.

Sure. TLJ wasn't really that different from any other Star Wars movies but a lot (certainly not all, of course) of the fan criticism (as opposed to more general criticism) was that it was too different.

I guess a lot of it is about expectations (without going for the edgy "Yeah, I expected it to be good. :smug:" angle) and it's the same as the prequels. I think loads of people hated the prequels because they weren't the movies they were expecting. In TLJ's case it had two years of YouTube Star Wars Experts theorising about it, which none of the previous movies ever did.

People talk about Fincher's idea of a movie where the droids rise up against organic beings to assert their equal rights. Now, I think that would be very interesting, but let's be honest, it'd probably piss even more people off and have even more people insisting that it's ruined Star Wars than TLJ did, because it is genuinely unexpected and relatively challenging.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

TLJ was just uninterested in the mysteries TFA set up and had people speculating on for two years, which will be divisive for people depending on how much they gave a poo poo about those mysteries beforehand

Sure, that's why I was so surprised that so many people turned out to be so invested in Snoke's mysterious backstory - I honestly didn't realise he was supposed to have one.

Despite being a colossal nerd I tend to dislike fandoms and never participate in them, so I don't get invested in all the fan theorising, which increasingly (and this certainly isn't exclusive to Star Wars, of course) seem to become entrenched in the fandom consciousness as being some kind of received wisdom that the movie is wrong not to confirm.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

No one should have to endure the SW EU ever. So of course people are like WTF Darth loving Maul??? Why?

If you've paid for a ticket to a movie, you shouldn't be expected to have to go off and pay for a novel or a comic or something to explain something you saw in the movie.

(This wouldn't be an issue if this was going to get a sequel but lol :v:)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

The story group is trash and crashed headlong into the issues that plagued the EU and every other expanded universe concept.

I believe the story group is mostly comprised of the people who were in charge of continuity etc. for the EU, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They can probably keep up an annual schedule if they make it a Christmas-only thing. I reckon this'll put them off any plans they may have had to start doing two movies a year, which is probably for the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

It's bombing harder overseas, and with the mess that was production...

We're actually looking at a Star Wars film losing money.

It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at Lucasfilm right now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maul didn't need to be kept around for the other movies but I think Dooku should have been in Episode I.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Style posted:

You could say that each of the villains represent a piece of what Vader would become, which is an interesting concept, but they don't really have much to do with his arc as a character so just sort of fall flat if that was the intention.

I know Grievous's coughing was meant to foreshadow Vader's sinister breathing. It came off as kind of goofy rather than creepy most of the time.

Obi-Wan making Grievous look like a massive dork every time they're on screen together was good fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A Boba Fett movie would probably have him hunting for a Jedi who escaped Order 66, then at the climax he goes, "What makes you think you're the first Jedi I've killed?" and pulls out his own lightsaber and starts lightsaber fighting him.

Boba Fett is: the Dread Pirate Boberts.