Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelticPredator posted:

What’s funny to notice is padme is straight up the ONLY person in the film that actually seems to like Jar Jar. She smiles at his antics, she helps him by the pod racer. It’s very odd and I guess makes sense why he’s a senator lol

And it doesn't reflect well on either of them!

Upsidads posted:

Jar Jar would have worked for me if his bumbling exposed order 66 or some real poo poo before it happened to the audience. Then that blunder would have to kill him.

Now that woulda been a helluva punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still pretty sure the main problem with TPM is that while it's better when you can see what they're trying to do, too much stuff just doesn't land properly in ways that were effortless by comparison in the OT. It's got a lot of throwbacks to old classics at least by Lucas' view, him being a sentimental type, but unfortunately it also manages to have a lot of the problems those things did too, and the reasons why they fell out of favour. Of course, some of it does land and work, that's what Star Wars has always been about.

The thing is about classic cartoon characters is that, much like clowns, they do their very best to appear as random forces of chaos, unpredictable and bound by no law of man, physics or god, but they actually operate (when done right) by very strict rules of behaviour, drama and arc. They are often in fact quite nuanced and complex in practice, even if by the classic rules they typically never really learn or change. This is true in everything from classic Disney and Looney Tunes to Space Jam and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Roger Rabbit famously more or less spells out the formula and plays with how that interacts with human characters who are nominally less bound to dramatic convention. (But of course, are in their own way, and it's shown the rules can be and almost always are broken when the subversion IS the convention) And why cartoons feel 'off' and unsatisfying when in the hands of writers who don't understand that, because they're not following the rules properly and things are untethered, there isn't the proper setup and payoff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

The Grogu gambit

Now I realise Grogu is basically Jar Jar Binks done right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

This is the worst post I have ever seen in a Star Wars thread

Thank you, I try.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I cannot be arsed figuring out how to do the democracy manifest speech in jar jar voice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well of course, it's stylish for boss fight themes to get more elaborate and add vocals at later stages of the fight.

Also contrasting how it's really weird and dumb that the Finn vs riot trooper battle doesn't have any music. Doesn't help that whole scene seems to be where it starts with Finn seemingly getting a serious arc and character development being smacked down for him to be comic relief in favour of everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jehde posted:

Clearly sebulba's podracer engines could have benefited from a dubstep soundtrack on top of them.

Now I'm picturing them all done up with neon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm just picturing Tatooine but it's incredibly cyberpunk instead. Hell, the difference is mostly aesthetic.

We need more rural cyberpunk. The only example that comes to mind is Looper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've still got no idea what they did wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They never had any real idea who or what Rey is supposed to be or even really understood why that might be a problem.

I still bet it's the result of Hollywood writers and producers all being fifth generation failkids who have no understanding of a person's material relationship with their surroundings and the society that they were born into, besides being important because your parents were important.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It turns out letting D-grade sci-fi writers go nuts with Star Wars was still a better idea than plugging the homogenised media slop machine into it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Practical effects are definitely part of Star Wars' aesthetic and charm as much as anything. Droids tend to look clunky, utilitarian and limited in function outside their specialty because they are. (Battle droids on the other hand, it makes sense are far more mobile and responsive, because a clumsy clunky droid would suck at it)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even moreso than they already do, anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sound people and engineers are like this in general, in my experience.

I mean, it makes sense! Like with any art, new ideas and inspiration are likely to get your attention.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol that Disney hotels don't even have Disney+

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling it's what happens when Disney's c-suite descends on a Star Wars project to overmanage it to pieces, but this time it's a theme park attraction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They keep buying new things because they hosed up the old ones, it's standard end stage capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the idea that Disney just flat out doesn't want to cater to growing demand and wants fewer customers who spend much more money. But they're also still obsessed with cutting every corner and nickelling every dime, on top of abovementioned overmanaging every major project into incoherent mush.