Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Anything from the premiere last night

General consensus from the Twitter brigade that usually loses their poo poo with hype over having seen a movie before you and says a movie is totally awesome and will change everything, is that the movie is really fun...after the first third is done, which is slow and boring. There have been a few mild reactions. All in all, a more tepid reaction from that group than usual, but nothing to be too concerned about yet.

Everyone agrees Lando and his droid partner are the best part of the movie, which is no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nurabsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Q2zKuhtTQ

This guy gives a complete synopsis of Solo.

Only a few minutes in, but this guy is an idiot.

edit: Oh forget it, knowing spoilers isn't worth listening to this guy.

Oh my god, before I quit listening, I got to how Solo got his name? Are you loving kidding me?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 11, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Beef Hardcheese posted:

so you gonna spill or what

is it because he only works alone :clint:

Basically. He's running from Imperials. The only way out is to head into an Imperial Recruitment Center, so he figures he'll sign up to get away. Recruiter asks him what his name is. He says just "Han". Imperial guy says something like, "What is your last name? Who are you with?" Han says something like (sorry, this guy sucks at describing things) "I'm alone." So his name is put in as "Han Solo".

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 11, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Okay, I kept listening after all, and everyone who said this movie would be a check list of references was right. This whole movie is made to make people point at the screen and go, "Oh! I know that!"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nurabsal posted:

Let's not bury the lede here, loving Darth Maul is the evil handler behind it all!

What the gently caress. You weren't lying. What the actual gently caress.

How does that...when...what?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 11, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm not 100% sure how the timeline works yet, but this movie may break jivjov's heart. I get that Maul was brought back in Clone Wars, and was kicking around after Episode III, but Obi-Wan kills him on Tatooine, while Luke is still a little kid (hard to say how old, but the far away shot sure seemed to imply he was a little kid). And if this movie has Han at almost ANH age...it would appear to imply they're ignoring Maul being killed by then.

Again, not totally sure where this movie lines up, but jivjov finding out that the movies do, in fact, reign supreme over everything else and will contradict other lesser things when they want to may just kill him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Oh, Han's mentor figure tells him to shoot first. That’s bingo!

Technically he was about to tell him a lesson, and then Han shoots him (first). According to the video, he never says the words, "Shoot first". Don't know how the ruling on that would go, but yeah, I'd say it counts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Luke is ~16 when Obi-Wan kills Han Maul, I think. The latter seasons of Rebels are like three years before ANH.

Oh, then that would still work out fine, I guess. Never mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Barudak posted:

Good loving lord why is Solo not an ok name? Lando Calrissian is fine, but loving Solo isnt?

Darth Maul comeback is just bizarre. Like Im not even sure why that came up as an initial concept

It's going to be especially weird given that I'm sure most people who see Star Wars movies don't give a gently caress about anything beyond the movies. And, as far as they know, Maul should still be dead.

I thought the Clone Wars did a good job of covering his return. Starting with him near insanity and with giant robot legs, to regaining control with better robot legs, to finding new purpose against the Emperor who he realized didn't give a gently caress about him and near perfect human robot legs, etc. This will skip all of that for most people, and they'll be waiting to find out how Maul is alive, but I can't imagine the movies (some supposed sequel to Solo) will cover that.

I think this is just going to end up being a one and done cameo, leaving most viewers really confused and put off. Such an odd decision.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George H.W. oval office posted:

Kind of an Ellis island vibe but also really stupid

Yeah, it's kind of like the Ellis Island scene in Godfather II, except everyone who is by themselves now has the same last name.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Keep in mind, the spoilers say he’s in it for like a minute. A big reveal as a hologram. So don’t go expecting him to be the big villain of the whole movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

oh so it's just the equivalent of marvel post-credits scene promising something interesting 3 years from now

Yeah, just not post credits.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

force awakens made 900 million dollars, last jedi made 600 million, rogue one made 500 million, it feels so hard to tell if the air is coming out of the star wars brand and this is a clear downward trend (that will probably continue with this movie) or if each thing is an individual case and none of it means anything particular, and it feels like this movie isn't a test case either.

Marvel is as close to a perfect upward arrow as you could imagine for it's A and B string movies, even DC movies roughly trend positive with every movie being more likely to make more money than less money than the ones before it. Star wars movies seem to actually be petering out. If this really does make less money and 2 A string and 2 B string movies is really enough to draw trend lines.

You ordered those movies wrong (Rogue One came out before TLJ) in order to make it seem like the series is on a downward trend, and I’m guessing only counted domestic to make your point, because TLJ made $1.3 billion. The series is not only doing fine, it’s one of the most profitable series in existence right now.

Also, each Marvel movie does not make more than the last. That’s not even true if you only count Avengers movies. Avengers 2 made slightly less than Avengers.

You’re straight up not arguing in good faith when you lie about and distort facts like that.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 12, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain Splendid posted:

More importantly, though, is his sheer range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhsON-DUYQ

It's so weird seeing someone do that many impressions of people I've never heard of. Are the not clearly fictional people in this real? I don't even know.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

The three-parties-acting-at-once third act thing didn't work in Jedi, and I really dislike how it informed some of the movies that followed. Like, in Phantom Menace there was the lightsaber fight, the Naboo fight and the star war, in Force Awakens there was a similar structure. The constant cutting to Endor kills the tension.

You missed one. There was the lighsaber fight, the Gungans against the droid army, Padme storming the Throne room, and the star war. It really was too much, and I think they agree, because Attack of the Clones didn't get so spread out for the finale. Yeah you had a few things going on, but usually not at the same time.

I think it's just fine in ROTJ. Three things going on at once seems to be the limit, I guess.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 15, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

So was Darth Maul surviving and coming back in Clone Wars really George Lucas's idea?

At the very least he approved it. Dave Filoni ran the show, but Lucas had final approval on anything canon related. Only occasionally did Lucas actually have his own ideas for episodes, and I think we know which ones those were. Who knows what he and Filoni would talk about behind the scenes, though.

Monglo posted:

Are they still making the Obiwan movie? Maybe they set up Maul to be the villain for it?

If so, this would be the first actual real test of the Story Group. If Maul and Obi-Wan face off in a stand alone movie, it would either be recreating exactly what happened in Rebels (no way this is what will happen), or the Story Group is finally, officially meaningless when it comes to what movies can do.

Which is what most people assume, but so far they haven't actually contradicted anything in the EU (partly because the EU has been trying to stay pretty drat far away from the movies to avoid conflict). This would be the first time they come into direct conflict.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 16, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Zillo beast - and making that episode a big Godzilla homage - was Lucas's idea. What else did he come up with for the show that we know about?

The Mortis arc (the one that had the Father, Son, and Daughter as embodiments of different aspects of the Force) came from Lucas. As well as Yoda's story in the final episode, Sacrifice (where he meets the ghost of Darth Bane). Those are the two big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

Wait wait Darth Maul is in this movie?

Does that mean Disney are actually acknowledging the prequels exist???

Wait so how much loving older is Han Solo than Luke if Darth Maul is around in this movie???

How can Han not believe in the force if he's old enough to live in a world with a loving jedi council and Darth Maul???

Maul is in this movie for a brief cameo via hologram, and Han doesn't see it. Han and Maul do not interact at all. The timeline of this movie is unclear at this moment, but Han has always been around 10 years older than Luke. Han would have been around 10 when the Jedi Council fell.

Han not believing in the Force even though he was alive when they were around has come up in the main thread a lot, but first off, not everyone would have met a Jedi. In a literal galaxy's worth of people, there were a pretty small number of Jedi, so it's perfectly believable plenty of people would have never come across one. And hearing that there are these monk cops running around who can perform weird "magic" tricks doesn't mean you suddenly believe in their religion. Knowing about these monk cops when you're a kid might seem "hokey" when you look back on it as an adult.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dishwasher posted:

Edit: According to the totally canon Super Star Wars on SNES, Luke is 19 and Han is 31 by ANH.

It's funny, that's where I learned Chewie was 198 years old.

But apparently new canon has now established Han was born 29 years before ANH, thanks to the book I didn't read, "A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does TV not exist in the star wars universe? Or cameras? Or any kind of recorded history? Like I've never seen a lot of things in person but I know they exist. Also there's gotta be a ton more force users out there than just Jedi since the Jedi themselves straight up admit once you're past a certain age they just don't care about bringing you into the fold. The idea that Han never saw TMZ footage of a Jedi slicing off a dude's head on space tv is kinda dumb

If he did see that, why would that make him believe "there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything", which is what he said he doesn't believe. He never said Jedi didn't exist, just that "no mystical energy field controls my destiny". If he saw a Jedi do something weird, why would he suddenly believe they had the right view about their religion? And not just that it was "all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

He literally lives with a guy who fought alongside one of the most powerful force users ever. This isnt the Loch Ness monster, everyone around the galaxy knows about the force.

Luke: “The Force?”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

regardless of how many jedi there were you'd think that people would have heard that the loving space council that runs the galaxy is headed by literal wizards and a literal evil wizard took it over

all I'm saying is: You'd think ***wizards run the universe*** would get around. It makes Han sound like a conspiracy theorist.

People don’t know Palpatine is a wizard. That is not common knowledge. They think he wears the robes now because he was scarred by the Jedi.

Also, again, just because there are people running around with weird powers does not mean they’re right about there being an all powerful Force binding the universe together, which is what Han was skeptical about. They could just have weird mutant powers. Or it could all be tricks and smoke screens.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

You know the Disney Star Wars movies kind of astound me with how uncreative and lazy and vanilla they are sometimes

Darth Maul was never a character. He was a lunchbox. He was literally conceived and designed above all else to look cool and get into a cool fight. He said one non-consequential thing and then went away, serving his purpose of becoming an action figure. This is not a timeless classic character who needs to be brought back because there is just more story to tell. He'sjust something people recognise and in the Obi Wan movie when he's the bad guy, he'll just be someone people recognise again. If given the choice, Disney will always elect to bring something old back than create something new.

I like how you say the Disney movies are uncreative and lazy, and then proceed to bitch about how uncreative and lazy a prequel character was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Comically, if you remember the Star Wars resurgence in the 90's with the special edition. All of the marketing was of characters that wore masks or were puppets, Yoda, Vader, Stormtroopers. Almost never saw Luke/Leia/Han on a can of Pepsi or a BK commemorative cup. Likely because GL didn't want to pay any money to the actors for their likenesses.

They wouldn't have had to pay them poo poo. GL owned their likenesses (for the age the movies were made) and could use them on whatever he wanted. Carrie Fisher told stories about it.

It's why the Bantam book covers started looking ridiculous as they went on. They couldn't age the characters up the way they now knew the actors were aging. They could only take the likenesses they owned already and "old age makeup" them up, causing horrific poo poo like this.

This took place 45 years after ANH...like 4 years from now, compared to when the movie came out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I always wondered why the VHS:

had Yoda, Stormie, and Vader, and not the main characters. I assumed it was rights, but I guess not.

I honestly think it was A) just to be different than the old posters and B) because those images are far more iconic, in my opinion, so they work better for a more minimalist look they wanted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I had those when I was a kid, and Yoda seems especially weird to me, because he's not really a substantial part of that movie. It seems like the thought process was like this:

Episode IV: "Alright, first movie, what's the most iconic character from the movie? Clearly Darth Vader. Boom, book it."
Episode V: "Okay, Empire is striking back, so what image symbolizes the Empire the most? Darth Va...poo poo, we already used him. Okay, Stormtrooper it is."
Episode VI: "It's the return of the Jedi, so we need a Jedi. Using Luke would be weird, as we haven't used actors up until now, so...I guess Yoda? He's in this movie, right? I think? For like 5 minutes? Sure, whatever, no one really cares anyway, and people like Yoda."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Yeah true, but snoke hologram was dumb anyway.

The red really stands out because the rest of the hologram is blue, so when he takes off the hood of his black robes (with blue highlights due to hologram) and you see his red face it stands out a bunch. Then the bright red lightsaber is even more contrast-y. Voice by Sam Witwer, like in Clone wars and Rebels. Ray Park is shown, but given it is a hologram with facemakeup and added cgi, it looks a bit weird and stands out. He is older and ugly.

Infact, here is a screencap I found on reddit of Maul: https://i.redd.it/g9lmt5u49lz01.jpg

There is a war scene in this, sorta Starship Troopers infantry-rush style war. Dark, very muddy, trench warfare-like, which I think some people were expecting RO to be, instead of a tropical and bright battle. This is muddy and gritty but basically 100% infantry focused and no enemy is really seen except as silhouettes.

AT-AT dropships, ISDs hanging around in-atmosphere in the far distance, imperial army assault on some random planet.

Wait, Maul pulls out his lightsaber? Is he, like, using it to intimidate someone over hologram?

This movie was almost the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber showing up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dessel posted:

Maul. I don't know. Seems like such an unnecessary thing to do. I've watched Rebels and some clips of clone wars, so I guess he's somewhat interesting/cool a character. But average film goer just sees a large retcon, and even Star Wars fans like my friend who actually buys into Star Wars board games for example, but hasn't watched Rebels/Clone Wars got nothing out of it. What's the reasoning behind the twist? What would Maul even be doing? How the gently caress is he even alive after Kenobi? (twice)

This apparently takes place before the second fight with Kenobi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

It's pretty obvious that the fuel used in those bombers / transports would barely make a drop into the tank on that massive loving flagship. Plus they might not even use the same type of fuel. But for all its majesty and technological knowledge, how the galaxy hasn't invented nuclear powered engines for their bigass flagships is beyond me.

uhm, I might be mistaken, but isn't Clone Wars the TV show not cannon anymore? Only Rebels is correct? Or was Darth Maul in Rebels? I've seen neither, but I know he's in Clone Wars and the story about his brother and him running a syndicate and all that poo poo with robot legs and fml so dumb.

Clones Wars and Rebels are both canon. Clone Wars was the only non movie thing declared canon after the buyout. And anyways, the fight with Kenobi happens in Rebels, not Clone Wars, so this is irrelevant.

This fight, posted on the last page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 24, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

To be fair, if the EU didn't exist, Maul coming back would be the standard, "Whaaaa? I thought he was dead!" twist that can happen in movies and shows and comic books all the time. It's that old rule of, "If you don't see a body, he's not dead." You saw him with his lower torso cut off and falling, but who cares? This is Star Wars where they seem to be able to heal anything. Point is he's alive. That the cartoon shows have already covered how he came back kinda doesn't matter. What matters is what they do with him now.

The answer is probably not much, because we know he only has a few years to live at most. But an immediate sequel can have him taking a more direct role, and having some off-hand lines about how he had to repair his broken body and build up this criminal empire of his own, blah blah blah, and you're totally good from an only-the-movies perspective. The further info is there, but you don't need it to get the story in front of you.

This is of course assuming they do something interesting with him and don't gently caress it up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Taintrunner posted:

It’s very bad and a large part of why the Disney Wars are so bad.

I mean, not really, because they haven't had much to do yet. Mostly the books and shows have been staying far away from any new movies time lines so as to not force a confrontation they would almost absolutely lose, which hurts the EU, sure, but has had zero effect on the movies. This Maul thing is the closest they've come.

Like, what has the story group done that has had a detrimental effect on the movies, in your mind? Unless you were complaining about it's effect on the EU.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

LMFAO remember when a bunch of sperg-rear end-losers were bitching about Hosnian Prime because OMG IT HAS FIVE HABITABLE PLANETS IN ONE SYSTEM?

I have heard a lot of bullshit complaints about TFA, but I have never heard anyone mention this one, even in passing. Who was mad about that? Is this really a thing you've seen a bunch of people bitching about?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Almost Blue posted:

Don't know if this was already confirmed but Darth Maul was Ron Howard's decision:

Ron Howard posted:

It was sort of initially written in a rather generic way. It just sort of said boss. And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn’t. But Maul was listed as one of the candidates. And I lobbied hard for that. I thought that made a lot of sense to me.

My son Reed is not in the business. He’s a dedicated fan. I just whispered that possibility and he just thought that would be incredibly cool. And so for that generation, I thought, well that was gonna be a pretty interesting idea. And doing a little more research and understanding sort of how the character had worked elsewhere, I thought it was good. And the Kasdan’s were on board with that.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/ron-howard-solo-darth-maul-villain-1201969603/

This is interesting, because it actually gives us a rare glance at what the story group is doing. This seems to say Ron Howard, of all people, was given a list of who the crime boss was allowed to be (based on who was alive and remotely possible to be the crime boss), and he could choose from there. Maybe they actually are enforcing some story guidelines on the movies.

I'd also be curious to see who else was on that list.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1003645049920507905

That's...gross, and I don't know why you felt the need to tell us that, Star Wars Twitter account.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why? The Crimson Dawn are helmed by a Sith and Enfys Nest is just proto-Resistance. It's the same loving factions all over again. "Underworld" my rear end.

Crimson Dawn is headed by a former Sith, who has nothing to do with the Sith actually in charge of the Sith Empire. He's on his own, and is actually out for revenge against Palpatine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tino posted:

Is there Darth Maul X Qira fanfiction yet?

I mean, probably.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Erotic Wakes posted:

Whenever I see people presenting ussourced but totes legit insider rumors about upcoming Star Wars movies as absolute fact I remember this part of The Secret History of Star Wars and have a sensible chuckle.

Yeah, people are giving those rumors way too much credence. In the Reddit post, he linked to his "leak" of TLJ as a way of showing he's the real deal. But there he got about as much wrong as he got right. He predicted Snoke would die, Luke would train Rey but not want to fight himself, and that Rey would leave and fight Kylo again. Which is mostly basic stuff you could guess if you're lucky. But he also "leaked" that we'd find out that Kylo spared Rey during the Temple Purge and left her on Jakku as a child, and that Phasma put a bounty on Finn's head and that he and Poe would spend most of the movie running from Bounty Hunters. If he really is seeing early storyboards, and that's a big if, then movies can change dramatically after storyboards, and this leak has no meaning because it may have no bearing on the final film.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tino posted:

Huh? Snoke getting killed in E8 was a huge twist. Are you going to call Reylo baby "basic stuff everyone can guess" too?

Snoke getting killed would be the one difficult thing to guess, I'll admit. But, like tadashi said, there were tons of people making "leak" posts that turned out to not be true, and he probably got lucky with that one.

And no, I'm saying that the Reylo baby stuff probably isn't true.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is already no longer profitable.

It's one movie. Episode IX will likely be fine. Plus all of the things non-movie but still Star Wars related making still extremely profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Welcome to franchise film making.

Disney wants to place emphasise on objects over characters. It's why the Falcoln is being worshipped in promotional material and has been given a backstory that it's hundreds of years old. Its why Luke's saber has been made more important than it ever was.

Objects can appear in film after film after film.

I mean, you're right there's more of an emphasis now, but this isn't entirely new to the Disney era. Take your Falcon example...