Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

remusclaw posted:

The movie is non-satirical because all of that requires extra reading beyond the movie to get, because none of it is even slightly touched on in the movie.

There's a pit of baby skulls in the first five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
RotJ has a couple really strong moments, a couple compelling ideas that were executed fairly well, and then it has the other two hours.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spotting the Ewok in this frame is like finding Waldo.

Those are some nice ferns, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

The alternate ending to TLJ that someone here in one of these threads proposed was so loving good that I'm going to find it hard to get invested in any other Star Wars films going forward, since they're not the ones that poster thought up.

Which one was that?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Statements about what Johnson's trilogy would/will be presuppose more structure on Disney's part than I think is warranted.

There's no grand plan being followed here. Decisions about what potential movies will be sold as won't be finalized until the film is actually in theaters, if then.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 6, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

galagazombie posted:

That does make it seem like the Republic is (at least by the time of TPM) so weak and ineffectual it can't even stop private entities like the Trade Federation from galavanting around with their own armies.

I don't see it as an issue of actual weakness so much as the anxiety of being weak.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm a big fan of the unicycle-lamp droid.

It's a trash design but it's the good kind of trash design.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Canto Bight sucked rear end because for the 1% of a galactic galaxy it sure looked primitive because it way too closely aped a Casablanca aesthetic. The lovely deathstick bar in Attack of the Clones looks more cool and sci-fi.

The 1% don't like cool and sci-fi. The 1% like hotel lobbys.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrFlibble posted:

Everyones seen the Lion King though.

People always say this but I've never really seen the connection myself. There's more to Hamlet than a fratricide and a ghost dad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Turns of the scene with Rey in the mirror room was actually foreshadowing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ammanas posted:

i actually stand corrected, han at one point died but is functionally immortal

A Jedi couldn't have taught him that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

On the topic of edits, a guy at work linked me this - it flows really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQ7oy03c0o

I forgot how populated the Resistance was at the start of the film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The new trilogy has been very restrained in that fashion. It's not just that there aren't many of the old alien/droid/space ship designs, there are very few new designs either. It makes the universe seems very sparse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fish nuns were good on account of we got more than 30 seconds of them so they could be more than just background art.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

None of this is a value judgement, but the ST has absolutely made less of an effort to involve aliens in the story than any of the Lucas movies ever did.

It's the same with the robots. There's BB-8 and evil BB-8, what others were there?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 9, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sounds like woo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth TNT posted:

Yes, I really liked that scene and it felt like a natural progression for his character, especially after the chewing out he received from Snoke. So glueing it back together was expected.

Unironically, yes. It's not that Kylo broke his helmet because Snoke has successfully convinced him his aspirations to be like Vader were childish, it's that Kylo killed Snoke because he had become an obstacle in his aspirations to be like Vader.

Kylo getting his helmet back is one thing that does follow through from TLJ.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Angry Salami posted:

Of course, because TLJ is a thematic mess on every level, he doesn't abandon his helmet because he's 'moving forward as himself', he does it because someone else tells him to. So now, bizarrely, the best way to show he answers to nobody is for him to put his helmet back on again, because his 'true self' is a doofus who wears a goofy costume.

Exactly. Kylo isn't a poser, he actually believes in this poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is the Death Egg after it crashes on Angel Island.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Daddy Thanos posted:

Remember when RLM's biggest criticism of Attack of the Clones was that the film was a poor guide for how to pick up women

Being young, good looking and project a veneer of helplessness while going for someone older with a thing for mothering ain't necessarily a bad approach if you can swing it but I'll grant you that it's not exactly the most general advice.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 14, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder if that doesn't partially account for the underproduction of Rey figures as well, if she originally had a smaller part.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bonaventure posted:

like most of the humor in TLJ it's merely a thoughtless joke, whereby conflating the mundane (a union dispute) with the exceptional (a laser battle that involves a jetpack) elicits laughter from the audience due to the absurdity of the two images being combined. they probably didn't even think about the ideological implications of the words "union dispute" and a marginally improved joke from the second draft would have been "monday at the office"

it's really not worth thinking about beyond its status as yet another instance of the sort of sloppy humor that's all over that movie

I don't think you can call that particular element sloppy* when it's so prevalent and consistent. From Finn's imprisonment in a Darth Vader life support suit that he easily (if clumsily) shakes off, to Maz's preposterous union dispute, to the force as a tool to lift rocks, to the Star Destroyers as laundromat irons, to the good guys and bad guys buying their guns from the same merchants -- the conflation of the mundane with the exceptional ain't only an absurd joke, it's the entire point.

Or rather, the point is that this applies equally in the opposite direction. It's not that a mundane union dispute is being conflated with an exceptional laser battle, it's that the exceptional life-or-death epic space fleet engagement between the Evil First Order and the Good Resistance is in reality a mundane power struggle between competing royals. Neither one is actually interested in effecting change (free the space horses!) and anyone who's not shoulder deep in their ideology recognizes it.

Don't join.

* not to say that the film isn't sloppy

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 22, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I saw the nurse as a slam not against fangirls in particular but obsessive fans in general. She idolizes someone she doesn't even begin to understand and constructs her own version of reality before ever really engaging with her idol. Vader killing her is like a rejection of fans who want new Star Wars content to fit their headcanon before ever actually watching it.

"It's not about all fangirls, just the bad fans in general (who just happens to be personified hereas a very particular fangirl stereotype (that has cooties!))!" is a bad take.

Why the gently caress is some officially sanctioned product picking a fight about who does or doesn't count as a "real" fan? That's for Cinema Discusso to decide, especially me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The worst part about Finn is that there are just enough good scenes with him that you can see how he could have been a great character. Everything from the Jakku attack up until Poe's death* is largely good, as is his confrontation with Kylo at the end. It's just everything in the middle that's bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

The hole doesn’t point up and it’s easier to shoot ships in a dive which is extrmely basic to air combat

The giant space shield points up and the elephant tanks walk under it

Luke and the other characters did not make the plan together

We see very clearly that they are not successful at getting a covert team onto the ground undetected, hyperspeed is not instantaneous, they do have intelligence reports, the base has air defenses

You’re not real smart

The common note with all of these is that they're largely explained ahead of time in dialog of the film. Even in situations where things go wrong (like the attack on the DS2 shield base) the audience knows what the goal is and can appreciate how things might fail. The lightspeed ram in TLJ is a different thing; it's not just a surprise to the characters, it's a surprise to the audience. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's very unlike Lucas's Star Wars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Preston Waters posted:

You mean like when Luke accepts that he'd rather die than join Vader and lets go so he can fall to his death in Empire? The Holdo kamikaze is essentially the same type of thing.

Yoda explains that if Luke confronts Vader he's be outmatched and at risk of being persuaded and then after this confrontation we see that Luke is outmatched and at risk of being persuaded. When Luke accepts that he'd rather die than join Vader we have the completely expected outcome of him drat nearly dying to accomplishing nothing, except arguable saving his soul or whatever. (Saving his friends was something he already accomplished beforehand.)

Holdo kamikaze's is (in comparison to Lucas) uncharacteristically out-of-the-blue. There have been several suicidal actions from the Resistance ahead of it in the film, they've gone mostly unaddressed by the characters and the lightspeed ram runs counter to those in both method and efficacy. Whether or not "the audience should have been able to realize what was going to happen" is besides the point.

Again, I'm not saying it was bad per se, but it is a genuine departure from Lucas's style.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Preston Waters posted:

On the first point, I honestly can't remember if I expected it to happen or not because I saw ESB when I was like 6 or 7yo. However, I agree Holdo's counter-attack was (more) out of the blue. That was the point, because we were viewing it happening from Poe's perspective. That's why I'm satisfied with the shot lingering on him as the camera pans out afterward -- he was completely wrong about her and seriously felt like he got kicked in the gut because they lost a key commander and a heroine.

I was speaking about the audience because your complaint was that there wasn't enough foreshadowing of what was to come. I'm not sure who you're talking about if you're not speaking about the audience, who are the ones processing said foreshadowing. As far as Holdo's fate? We already knew how that was going to end when she resigned to stay behind on the flagship.

I'm not talking about audience expectations or even foreshadowing, and I'm not making any complaints. I'm trying to point out how the storytelling style of that scene differs from Lucas's particular idiosyncrasies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Qui-Gon became culpable when he took Anakin off the planet despite The Force repeatedly giving him signs that he should not do that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Flavius Aetass posted:

Yeah but before the prequels they were a mystical order of warrior monks and more importantly unambiguously good and right.

Before the prequels the Jedi were a mystical order of a con man and a hermit. Unambiguous they were not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Flavius Aetass posted:

Them personally giving up after everything that had happened isn't an indictment on the Jedi as a whole.

Take away Obiwan and Yoda and you're not left with an order of unambigious warrior monks, you're left with Darth Vader.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 29, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bogus Adventure posted:

Because he could have killed Threepio, and then we'd all be happier

You can't just kill off the main character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Every panel I've seen of any Star Wars comic has been amazing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Endor Holocaust is just the earliest (?) example of aggrieved Star Wars fans turning their need for exhaustive detail against the franchise

it's literally a story about space wizards playing with magic technology; face value may be dumb but that's really all there is here

While Endor Holocaust stuff is silly, it's not itself an example of fans needing exhaustive detail so much as fans recognizing that the end of RotJ drops a theme that had been carried through the previous films.

From the droids being sold into slavery, to Mos Eisley, the wretched hive of scum and villainy, to Han Solo's life and livelihood being endangered through his association with the rebellion, to Luke meeting with great warrior Yoda who's been reduced to living in a swamp, to Jabba's slave barge, there's a continual focus on the abject and on how the conflict destroys people. Then when you get to the rebellion teaming up with the teddy bears there's a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop -- but then the film ends with a dance party.

I ain't gonna say there ain't a lot of dumb poo poo out there with aggrieved space wizard fans, but that particular thing is at least pointing to something legit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is that part just scratching the surface? I've admittedly only seen the gif and I think some goon rocked it as an avatar for a long rear end time.

The series does feature the extinction of two human species, but I don't know if "nihilistic" is necessarily an appropriate description. It's apocalyptic, and everyone very much does die, but while it is the literal end of the world, it ain't actually the end of the world. Both human species redeem themselves and God effectively gives them a mulligan on the condition they try and not gently caress up next reincarnation.

It's a very strange show, in the style of the more psychedelic scifi stories, especially Arthur Clark.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't mean to police your take or anything, it's just that the shows reputation of "the one where every dies," if anything, undersells just what a dang trip it is.

But yeah, little kid's head gets hella blown off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

For a while now us Star Wars fans have been reading about hearing about what’s out in the unknown regions and “the beyond.”

This is "the beyond" speaking. I'm the man who's taken away your victims and thus destroyed your world.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

*hides massive porg collection*

Yeah, the ST is trash

The porgs were the good part, though. Them and the weird Jim Henson island people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth TNT posted:

so new lego sets have leaked which include sets for rise of the Skywalker

In case anyone was worried we wouldn't be getting a sandbarge fight. You can put those worries to rest now

I see we're continuing the trend of the same ship designs from six films ago but in a different color scheme.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

High Lord Elbow posted:

Gillette is bush league. My Barbasol has six blades plus a trimmer on the back. I dream of the day when the same can be said of a Jedi’s elegant weapon.

Star Wars '77, only instead of being a genuine surviving Jedi, Obiwan is a hipster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rather than the conveniently off-screen militia having no hope in the Resistance cause until Luke restored it, it's far more likely that they just didn't have hope in Leia as a leader and were waiting for The First Order to wipe out her power base before swooping in.