Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In terms of horror comics, I also enjoyed Something is Killing the Children, Gideon Falls, The Nice House on the Lake, and Monsters. The Sandman is also probably mostly horror but that's not exactly an obscure recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ravenkult posted:

Boo on that AI cover though.

What AI cover is this?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm not sure if it is technically horror, but it definitely has... Horror vibes.

I'm about halfway through Hell Followed With Us by Andrew Joseph White and I'm really enjoying it. After getting burnt out on extreme horror (I was on an Aron Beauregard kick for a while and I realized I was getting... Bored? Desensitized for sure) so my wife recommended this to me. It's definitely got the young adult feel, but it's surprisingly body-horror-y for what it is, and I think ties in some pretty decent metaphor for living as a trans person and, in a much more general sense, living as a queer person. It's unapologetically queer, like very in your face about it, but as a queer person I like that a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes. The author has an adult horror book coming out next year, after 3 YA novels. I'm excited to see where he goes with it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

ravenkult posted:

Boo on that AI cover though.
What are you talking about?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ I wasn't sure what he meant but I interpreted it to mean that the Tim Waggoner's cover is reminiscent of cursed AI images because of the number of fingers on the hand

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Makes sense. I thought it was a reference to the Hellboy page and was baffled for a moment.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

escape artist posted:

^^ I wasn't sure what he meant but I interpreted it to mean that the Tim Waggoner's cover is reminiscent of cursed AI images because of the number of fingers on the hand

It was this but it's an actual AI cover.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

R.L. Stine posted:

drat this destroyed me. Is their other work this good too? I remember really liking His Face All Red when it was making the internet rounds. For that matter, are there any graphic novels or comic omnibuses that might scratch a horror itch? I just finished Harrow County, it was pretty great, but grounded spooky hauntings and a generally heavy atmosphere are my poo poo.

I've searched reddit for recommendations but it's hit or miss and usually there is very little if any context or description provided

I'm currently reading Gou Tanabe's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness and enjoying it quite a bit. That's one of the Lovecraft stories that relies most on the visuals, which I've never really been able to construct properly in my head, and Gou nails it. The starkness of the Antarctic landscape and the uncanny architecture are well-served by beautiful black-and-white lines, and he does a remarkable job of bringing the story to life without changing Lovecraft's actual work.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it was really good. Cosmic horror and time travel. It's hard to talk about without spoiling it, it's not particularly gory but there's a fair amount of deaths.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yarrington posted:

Maybe an obvious one but Alan Moore's "Providence".

EDIT: Just realized I walked into the 'little context or description provided". It's superficially his take on Lovecraft, and most of the issues riff on a specific story but in the context of a frame story that's pure Alan Moore. A wealth of historical detail, and parts really emphasize the horror of things that have become fairly rote/tropes by now (the mind/body swap issue really got under my skin). Benefits from either a reference or an encyclopedic knowledge of the extended canon, but doesn't require it. It has a lot on its mind.

It’s really great. My only minor gripe with it is that I wish it didn’t connect with his previous two Lovecraft comics at the end. Those aren’t bad but Providence is so much better and I wish it could stand on its own.

edit: nitpicking here but I also could have done without a cameo from ST Joshi.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 20, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s really great. My only minor gripe with it is that I wish it didn’t connect with his previous two Lovecraft comics at the end. Those aren’t bad but Providence is so much better and I wish it could stand on its own.

My major gripe with Providence is that it features sexualised images of children in volume 2. I can't tell you about the end because that poo poo went straight back to Amazon and I haven't read anything new by Moore since.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

Read The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch and it was really good. Cosmic horror and time travel. It's hard to talk about without spoiling it, it's not particularly gory but there's a fair amount of deaths.

One of my favorite books in recent years. Maybe not explicit horror in some people's definitions but it was probably better than anything else I read in eliciting a sense of impending doom. I can't remember if any other book had my heart racing the way this one did. If you haven't read it his other book (Tomorrow and Tomorrow) is really good. A little slower to get going but excellent neo noir.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I'm on book 5 of 6 of McDowell's Blackwater (bought the old paperbacks off eBay because I like old books, have poor impulse control and loved The Elementals.) and so far it loving RULES! Hell yeah!!!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Opopanax posted:

This one I liked a lot. A group of teens goes to a cabin in the woods and gets massacred. The hook here is that the book starts at the tail end of all that and then picks up a year later with the parents going back to the cabin to try and trap the killer. It goes in some really interesting directions and has a good old fashioned griminess to it.

This was good and bleak and gross without being over the top extreme genre gross. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to someone who wants a slasher fic that goes in a different direction than most.

Not a direct spoiler, but I guess a way to make the twists more impactful, maybe consider turning off your percentage complete if you're reading it on a kindle like I did. It'll help with some of the surprises.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sanctuary by Valentina Cano Repetto

quote:

Grief leaves a stain.
Sibilla Fenoglio wants nothing more than to live with her husband in this run-down, derelict watermill. Uninhabited since the Renaissance after a mysterious disaster befell the previous owners, the mill requires extensive repairs. But there is something frightening about the mill. Repairs are violently undone, half-seen figures begin stalking Sibilla through the grounds, and haunting echoes of the previous owners' lives infiltrate the present. As the disturbances grow more vicious and her husband more secretive, she realizes that she and her child are in danger.

Between Diavolo by Jennifer Thorne and maybe The House of Last Resort by Christopher Golden, I MIGHT be starting a calibre mini bookshelf for italian locale horror. I really enjoyed this book. I thought the historical sections were very realistic and I loved the creeping dread as the true culprit(s) were revealed. What a horrific mess!

Major CW for domestic abuse, stalking / harassment btw

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
ty for the graphic novel/comic recommendations, i've started with Gideon Falls and Something is Killing the Children, enjoying both so far.

in non-picture books i'm also working on Hollow (Brian Catling), which i think was recommended earlier itt, it's been on my list for a while. decent Between Two Fires vibes but i already know nothing will ever get close.

dropped The Complete Symphonies of Adolf Hitler and Other Strange Stories (Reggie Oliver) super hard because imo it takes really interesting concepts and ruins them almost every single time. feels like if M.R. James wrote HORRORS by Ben Biddick

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I really liked the horror comic Redfork. It has juggalos and miner demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know it says it on the tin, but something is really killing the gently caress out of those children. They don't shirk from the ultraviolence just because it's a six year old.