Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Just read a bunch of Space Horror, here’s my reviews:

Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan: Extremely good. Satisfying ending, very creepy alien ship, a sexy priest. Very cool depiction of a generation ship. Also has several disabled characters in key roles, including the protagonist, if that kind of representation is your thing.

Hull 03: Deeply strange, almost dreamlike, doesn’t really cohere into a narrative until the second half of the book. It all kind of made sense by then, but I’m not sure it was worth the wait.

The Last Astronaut: Good story, creepy aliens, some gross body horror, and a satisfying mystery. Also a good side plot about the relationship between a near-bankrupt NASA and not-Elon-musk’s space company. I thought it was hurt by the framing narrative of the book being a retrospective documentary, just telling the story straight up would have been better.

The Burning Dark: Apparently this is book 1 of a trilogy? The book was...fine. But that’s about it. There was a lot left unexplained, in a way that was more confusing than creepy. It seemed like there were some ideas that didn’t go anywhere, and the creepy-stuff scenes seemed disconnected from the rest of the book, the characters would wake up the next day and not seem really shaken by all the horror.

Currently reading Blindsight, open to any recommendations that are about creepy poo poo in space. Basically anything that reminds you of event horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Traxis posted:

Check out Obscura by Joe Hart

Got through this one today, it was quite good, thank you!

The second Blindsight book was not as good, unfortunately.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Looking for another blog/transcript style story I read last year-four or five morons are recruited to keep tabs on the [Entity/anomaly] in the least specific terms possible, because it feeds off attention and curiosity, anyone know what I'm talking about? It was SCP-esque but I don't know if it was actually an SCP thing.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

sounds like “There Is No Antimemetics Division”

No...it's so incredibly like that that it fucks up my searches, but it's not that.

Which, I guess, is the kind of information fuckery that this whole genre of story is about so I'm getting the intended effect regardless!

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

value-brand cereal posted:

Stumbles into thread hello I read something really interesting and good and it involves. Let's see. Other worlds, location horror, supernatural, time travel, rotating POV, thrillers, forest horror, 'Not Twitch dot Com' Lady Gamer Streamers, a indie video game that can be played only once?!, epistolary in that there's tasteful occasional outside viewpoints such as book excerpts blog posts a fake reddit site and such, and more.

It even includes some sort of supplementary fiction on the authors site that you need a password for. Not quite arg, I suppose, but the book was interesting enough that yeah, I looked into it. You can find the pass word at the end of the novel. Don't know if that's a spoiler since it's in the TOC. You can find it, currently, on the front page of the author's website. https://briardark.com/ [You could also buy the website here, she has a list of locations selling them]

Anyways, the summary.

Briardark - S. A. Harian
Briardark #1 of #???

I liked the rotating pov and how the 'hero protagonist' not involved on the hike is a bit subverted. He isn't a random shmuck that suddenly has the hacker private investigator skills to do a entire investigation. Hell, he even gives up at some point for very logical, realistic reasons and only gets pulled back in because of a coworker needing a distraction from her personal life. I thought the forest horror was very well played out, the build up to it subtle but not tedious, and when poo poo goes down hill it's straight off a cliff. The author does juggle little details well, it doesn't feel like mentioned Checkhovs gun in one chapter, and firing it in the very next. There's subtly, which I appreciate.

The part about the monster [so to speak] being a mysterious cult woman with, yawn, spooky deer horns does feel played out at this point. But I haven't seen too much of that in the book, so maybe I should hold off judgement. It does give me slightly Silent Hill 1 vibes in that it's maybe a small town cult thing going on? Not entirely sure.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is the first book in a series. I don't know if it's a duology, or trilogy.

Bonus hey there's some sapphic characters though it's not at the forefront, per se. Some medium spoilers? One woman character had romantic tension with another woman character. However it wasn't able to go anywhere as one woman vanished in the same mysterious location as the current hike. Whether she is truly dead or not remains [ha!] to be seen. I'm going to trust the author to give us decent bisexual/lesbian characters as she does thank her life partner of 15 years for support in the acknowledgements 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 Honestly I can't wait for the sequel.

I second this recommendation, was a good read if you like found footage or woods horror! Be aware there is also a recent Warhammer Horror novel called Briardark, so the search results are a bit tangled.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Last week or two, read:

The Terror by Dan Simmons. Extremely good, lots of descriptions of dying of scurvy. I found it easier to follow than the show. Like a lot of horror, kind of gets weak towards the end when most of the characters are dead.

Summer of Night, also by Simmons: Very similar to IT. Less weird spirit quests. The major difference is that, while in IT the kids defeat the clown with imagination and the power of friendship, in Summer of Night they use mostly guns and explosives . If you get the edition I did, I suggest you skip the ~30 page rant at the beginning about how kids don't play outside anymore and they buy too many things. Includes a line about how he's glad that his mentor died in 2003 and was spared "the soul-sickening uber-marketing Lolita-phenomenon known as Hannah Montana that debuted on the Disney Channel in 2006"

So yeah, I would just skip the intro. Not a bad read otherwise.

Also read The Trials of Obed Marsh, which is a prequel to Shadows over Innsmouth, one of my top two or three lovecraft stories. It was...fine. If you want to spend a few hours reading a book about lovecraft type stuff with modern style prose, this book would be an acceptable purchase.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Since I'm also looking for more recs in this line I'll suggest Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman (assuming you haven't already read it) and the C.L. Moore Jirel of Joiry stories "Black God's Kiss" and "Hellsgarde."

I read the first book in the Aching God trilogy last month and need to pick up the next one. It had a very overt tabletop vibe which I appreciated.

Seconding the Aching God trilogy. If Game of Thrones is "This is how awful social structures brutalize people and make them into monsters", AG is "Everyone in the adventuring guild is chill and sexually liberated and generally modern. Then they go into tombs and terrible things happen to them." There's also a political subplot about the Queen, who's been ruling for a hundred and fifty years and it's TOTALLY NORMAL YOU GUYS NOTHING SINISTER OR CREEPY IS OCCURING THERE. The author also seems to have a thing about spooky toads :getin:

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

gey muckle mowser posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but what are some good spooky books for kids? My niece (about to turn 8) just started reading Goosebumps and is loving them, is there anything else along those lines out there?

Third or fourthing Bellairs. Three in particular that are spooky are the Doom of the Haunted Opera, that’s from the House with a Clock in its Walls, living with your wizard uncle, series, and The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie, and The Eyes of the Killer Robot, which are from the hanging out with the cranky yet kindly professor across the street from your grandparents who you live with because your father is fighting in the Korean War, series.

They’re both pretty standalone series, you can read them in any order iirc, and the editions I read as a kid have nice creepy Gorey illustrations.

Sorry, I’m gushing, but they were some of my favorites as a kid, and a great introduction to a lot of horror tropes and ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
If you like Haunting of Hill House, but thought "this needs more loving and bleeding", I would recommend Richard Matheson's Hell House. The premises are very similar, but the supernatural elements are just way harder and more explicit in every sense of the word. If what you liked about Haunting is the quiet restraint and psychological drama, then probably skip it though.