Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just got a kindle and I’m looking for things to read. I like haunted house movies but haven’t read a whole lot in the way of books. I have Haunting of Hill House on my to read list but i need some more good books than that. Preferably things that are more creeping sense of dread than blood and viscera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I actually just finished A God in the Shed last night. The prologue definitely would have worked better rolled out slowly because going in knowing 100% what this unknowable thing is about took away from it. Apparently there's going to be a sequel so maybe it'll pick up and get less okay. I didn't read much that came out in 2017 but if this was one of the best it worries me.

I'm starting Universal Harvester right now and after that I'm going to go through the haunted house recs you guys have made.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

universal harvester is not a horror novel and if you expect it to be one you will be disappointed

Yeah I've listened to enough Mountain Goats to know this isnt going to be what I expect. I felt the same after reading his old book too. So far it feels off but horror isn't the vibe I'm getting

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I dont know how i felt about Universal Harvester. It certainly wasnt a horror book so im not sure why it popped up so often. Even the unsettling bits went away by the halfway point. I think i enjoyed it though although Wolf in White Van i think i liked more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to like House of Leaves so much more than I do. The Navidson Record stuff is all good and I like it but then I always go "I should really read the Truant footnotes" and I just stop caring

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm enjoying Hex and I'm curious if the original version has a translation? I'm curious what the differences between the English and not-English are. Apparently the ending is different for us?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Has anyone read 14 by Peter Clines? Starts off as a great haunted/mystery house book when the protagonist moves into a new apartment but then transforms into cosmic horror.

I did the audiobook a few years back and enjoyed it. He wrote another book that's a semi-sequel The Fold that I also liked.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to give HoL a re-read now too. Only trouble is the only chance I really get to read is on the bus and the book is loving huuuge.

That's my problem with it. I've taken to reading on a Paperwhite because it's small and self lit so I can read at night without a lamp and keeping the girlfriend awake. Apparently they never did anything to make it ebook friendly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of Tingle you can get a bunch of his books on the Humble Bundle store right now. Someone might consider them horror.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally finished Hex today. It started out pretty neat and then it just got bad.

What I liked:

The setting. I like the idea of just stiff upper lipping through a haunting.

What I disliked:

The ending. It just went into grimdark 2 edgy territory

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's how I felt. Everything up to that point had this undercurrent of horror. And then that happens and it does the 180 from subtle background to what actually happens.

And then it has a monkey's paw style twist where he doesn't want to see what he actually got back after sacrificing his family and the entire town.

I went looking for a good summary of the original ending and instead got a lot of think pieces because he sacrificed the gay son for the straight son even though I didn't notice that being in the reasoning at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I can’t even remember the end of King’s original The Mist novella but I hated the Darabont film’s ending.

He puts his journal down and drives into the mist hoping to find safety

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

god forbid horror writers attempt something innovative instead of rehashing cthulhu for the 7000th time

Cthulhu sells right now. Slap him on a boardgame and you can get drat near all the money from nerds on Kickstarter

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GrandpaPants posted:

You don't even need the game, to be honest. I imagine most people bought that one game with the baby-sized Cthulhu (to clarify: I mean a Cthulhu that is the size of an actual human baby) for the "mini."

What Caitlin Kiernan would you/the thread recommend? I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but goddamn a lot of the covers for her books are terrible and look like supernatural romance.

It was like 2 feet tall and an extra $150 to the already $200 game. It's apparently a board by itself and also the final chapter of the story started in the base game so gently caress you if you don't buy it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

a foolish pianist posted:

I've nearly finished Peter Clines' 14. The first 3/4 of the book is a fun sort of scooby-do-meets-lovecraft mystery about a building with some unusual properties. In fine horror tradition, the ending is pretty terrible. Still worth a couple of bucks on amazon, I'd say, if you're in need of something new to read.

Anyway, next on tap: Bartlett's Stay-Awake Men and Johnson's Entropy in Bloom. The latter has gotten some great praise, and in spite of some people in this thread having very bad opinions wrt Skullcrack City, that book got me psyched for more output from Johnson.

There's a semi-sequel to 14 called The Fold which is a Lovecraft meets Timeline story that's not bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I listened to Horrorstor as an audiobook what does the physical book do?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

i cant imagine listening to horrostor as an audiobook because the catalogue gimmick is like the defining characteristic of the book

I hadn't heard of it before when I was browsing Hooplah for something to listen to so I didn't know it had a gimmick

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Would an ebook reader display properly using an overhead projector?

Granted, I graduated high school in the 80's so I don't know if schools still have them in inventory.

I graduated college in 2014 and I had a professor who wheeled one with him to every class

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Which one starts with them having a riddle competition with a train and then goes to boring rear end backstory about teenage Roland? That's the farthest I got.

I dug the hell out of the weirdness of that setting though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lofi posted:

I really enjoyed House of Leaves' 'hey your home, your safe place, is now all hosed up and creepy' thing, can anyone recommend me stuff that plays with similar concepts? I liked that it was a very inhuman horror, rather than being a person/ghost/demon, that impersonality made it much more creepy to me.

I was thinking about that book today and it's 2019 why is there not a PDF version that let's me click between main text and footnote so I can quickly get back to where I started before Johnny went on a 6 page rant.

Also that let's me turn on his rants since they're the worst part of the book

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

I was disappointed by that book not because it wasn't horror, but because of how it fizzled out at the end.

I felt the same way with his other book Wolf in White Van. Both had me invested and then just kind of end

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there anything that has the same eerie wrongness of House of Leaves but doesn't have the footnotes that take you out of the story by being rambling drug fueled rants? House of Leaves I want to like you but the Johnny Truant story has stopped be every time. And I've been assured I can't just skip it because it's important, but I don't care about him

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

I read HEX by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it wasn't that good. Kinda like a soulless Stephen King, the whole book is basically mapped after Pet Sematary but generally didn't succeed in pulling me in. Some kinda gross parts and slurs also put me off a bit.

I liked the basic thought behind it where this town has a malevolent entity and just stuff upper lips their way around it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

That's the part of the blurb that got me to pick it up. Unfortunately I read later that he basically rewrote his book to take place in the US instead of Holland, so that kinda explains why I felt it fell flat.

I liked everything up until the halfway point when it rocketed past any semblance of horror and into edgelord territory

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any other books like Annihilation only good? I really like the style of someone writing about exploring someplace that's just wrong. The Navidson Record was the better part of House of Leaves and the SCPs about that are the best of them.

Audiobooks would be preferred so I could listen in the car and at the gym.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How is Salem's Lot?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

the_enduser posted:

Always down for r/nosleep gems, haven't been there in years but I remember the last cool one was that mold town series. Thought it was pretty cool.

E: https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1yimq3/infected_town/

drat it's been 6 years

My fiancee linked me to this before we started dating. Apparently it actually got an ending at some point? https://www.reddit.com/r/vainercupid/comments/a85h3u/infected_town_the_complete_saga/

ravenkult posted:

So the last few GBS ghost threads haven't really worked out and generally sucked. But would a PYF creepypasta (*shudder*) thread be interesting? I like to delve into r/nosleep once a year and pick out some decent, more subtle than usual stories, if there's interest I can make a thread.

There was this one recently that kind of fizzled out, i would for sure follow either this or a new one if something got made.

edit: it helps to add the link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934061

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FPyat posted:

Is there any good apocalyptic/disaster/all-of-society-is-hosed-up horror? I find a horror story's predicament to be more unsettling if it endangers a larger number of people, the fear not being isolated to a cabin or location but ever-present - specifically, I have in mind the way an entire town is doomed in Junji Ito's Uzumaki. One thing that seems like it'll appeal to me is the podcast I Am In Eskew.

The Magnus Archives maybe? The fifth season is definitely that but you very much need to listen to the previous ones to get it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I picked up Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims. He's the guy who writes the horror podcast The Magnus Archives so I slam bought his first novel when I saw it dropped.

I'm a slow reader and only in chapter three but so far it sounds like it's going to be a spooky haunted apartment book?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Has anyone read this?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Horrorsto...15521694&sr=8-1

I want to know if the unusual format is used nicely.

The audiobook was fun but I can't say anything about the format. I had no idea it was something special until long after I heard it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've never read The Shining so I checked the audiobook out of the library and so far it's incredibly dry. Am I going to end up disappointed? I like the movie but I know they're different beasts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kestral posted:

This is going to be a weird one, but are there any decent horror novels that evoke a similar feel to the Resident Evil games? There's a teen in my after-school D&D group who I've been gently encouraging to try reading for pleasure rather than just for school, and he's expressed an interest in horror broadly and wondered if there were any books like Resident Evil, since he apparently loves that series. I'm at a loss, having never played a RE game.

There's RE novels

They're bad but I enjoyed them in middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!