Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Oh god I was just looking for something like this.

If anyone knows of any really good Japanese or other Asian horror like ring or The suffering I would greatly appreciate it. The suffering was so similar to the fatal frame mythos and was perfect. I am a huge ghost horror fan and would love any suggestions.

edit. Also anyone for haunted houses has to read Hell house it is a classic and still one of the best examples in the genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Barkers biggest issue is he somehow makes Grossout horror happen in book form. He massively tends to detail out exactly what horror is happening to a person has they are killed. Also if you in any way do not like gay imagery :lol: god he loves to detail out cock.

I do like Barker but goddamn some of his stuff. But yeah the books of blood are great.

Also the ending of revival is amazing and I would love for more books that are just that. Rest of it sucked but god that ending.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Kill Creek is amazing holy poo poo

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The issue with an ending is ending it in a way that cinch everything, really try to think how many horror novels you have read with an actual decent ending because off the top of my head I can think of like 4 :v:

A lot of editors want to have a nice happy ending to a horror novel when more realistically it ends with either no one winning or the MC and supporting cast losing and I feel like for a lot of books that is an issue that keeps coming up. That and a writing getting writers block at the end of the book.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I’d give Barron’s short story collections a shot before writing him off, X’s For Eyes really isn’t a great starting point or all that great in general.

My Cabin at the End of the World trip report: if you liked the previous Tremblay books, I don’t see why this would be much different. The (attn: spoiler, kind of) same element of is-it-real-or-not ambiguity is present once again. A Head Full of Ghosts remains my favorite though.
I am not liking cabin. I don't know why but it just isn't grabbing me at all and feels kinda samey or similar to other stuff. It just doesn't have the grab devil's rock did or head of ghosts did. Agree that a head full of ghosts is his best book so far.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I honestly never got that impression and felt that it was more majorie and her inner issues as the thing at fault. Never got many of the inferances you have but would love to know how you got there

Thing to remember also is Mary was what 4 years old? Have to look it up but she was very young. That's one reason she's an unreliable narrator because her memories of that time are from a very young and undevoloped mind that will over time gloss over or try and make false memories to rationalize what happened as she gets older so she can move past it.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Criticism is needed and something authors have to have however, someones opinion on a book can help an author get better and fix things that they are doing that are fundamentally wrong. Also being able to understand where someone is coming from is important to understand why they think that book is bad.

in my own personal bad book opinion In the house of Mirrors by Tim Meyer blows and I struggled to finish it. the characters were horribly one dimensional and just unlikable, the plot was almost comically inept and so similar to other works that it felt like a retelling of much better books. Hell the drat author synopsis is a flatout lie. If you want a good laugh read this book on your kindle unlimited but don't waste the money or audible credit

Also the audible reader loving SUCKS

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Never felt Cline's stories were really horror, more of a sci-fi book with some small lovecraft tones. 14 was pretty good though based on the premise and the fold is a decent follow-up that only later in the book is tied in.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Hope you like gore and well explained and detail sex parts and rituals. He's a good author in some ways, books of blood is a great short story work, but goddamn he loves talking about pahllic symbols. Which is also because he was an openly gay author in the 80s and 90s.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Dream catcher is the best example of him being broke brain in those first few years. By golly that's a hosed up disjointed book. I think he didn't even want to publish it but his editor wanted to.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Skyscraper posted:

I just read Transmission this weekend, and I'd agree with all of this. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Agreed, but if you love the idea of horror involving lost or found footage and numbers stations it's decent. There really isn't much horror in that genre.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I honestly disliked cabin. It really never grabbed me or felt good in the slightest. I think I made it halfway and just gave up, the twist and ending weren't worth it compared to the preamble. What even was the plot and ending? It was just so lackluster.

The disapearence book I liked alot. Mainly because it seemed like a book version of lake mungo and was decent.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I thought that was the translation more? I'm the original I believe it was centered in his home country with a much worse ending though. I did feel it was a decent book, fell flat near the end but that's like alot of authors that can't find the right way to send it off. The idea that she's been planning this for generations and choosing people to poke in just the right way was interesting.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

alf_pogs posted:

i just read "The Troop" and quite enjoyed it. ghastly body horror, s where the writing was most evocative. is Cutter's other novel "The Deep" worth a go?

also i read and quite enjoyed Fritz Leiber's "Our Lady Of Darkness", even if the character seemed kind of like Frasier Crane. the paranormal events in it are very compelling and unnerving, especially everything to do on the hilltop.

The deep is good, so is little heaven. He tends to like pretty object horror that is more visceral and descriptive based. Also you might have noticed that his endings tend to be no one really wins which is a nice touch. His writing tends to revolve around how sometimes theres no winning option. Or a sacrifice is needed to return to the norm but not end the evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Koontz will find some stereotype or trope that sells one book and run it straight into the ground over the next 7 books. For awhile it was a young disabled orphan that had an attitude but was going to die if not saved. Dogs, god half his books are about dogs in some way. And odd Thomas which just was meh incarnate for a series.