Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Section 9 posted:

I'm pretty sure I found this in the Cosmic Horror thread, but I just re-read this and it's really amazing, so I think worthy of a reposting here. "Ever feel like you care too much?" This one wrecked me.

https://www.tor.com/2015/09/16/please-undo-this-hurt-seth-dickinson/

In "House of Leaves" chat, I agree that the Truant story is one of the weaker parts, but there's also some interesting bits hidden within all of it (such as one particular letter from his mother.) It's one of the few books that I re-read every so often because I find stuff I didn't realize was there before every time.

I got to one of her letters and I was like "for fucks sake" and threw the book

Raw shark texts was good, but I let someone borrow it and never got it back. I keep thinking of some kind of situation where there's some kind of stuff in the environment that makes things weird and crazy, and they need to pump some sort of mist into the atmosphere for local protection, sort of reminiscent of the sick land if there was a defence from it.

I can't remember if those are the same book or if it's another one I read directly after RST, anyone know?

E: no I looked it up, it was "the gone away world." I think I associate them because the have slightly similar covers and I got them at the same time. Good but not real horror-y, although there's horror components.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
aw I didn't know tor gave out ebooks drat it I missed the window

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ornamented Death posted:

Here's something that may be of interest to readers of this thread:

John W. Campbell's Frozen Hell

I'm a big fan of the backer tiers being as simple and straightforward as they are.

sweet. They slammed through that goal

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A human heart posted:

i've never read ligotti but that current 93 album he wrote the lyrics for is badass

yeah it's pretty sweet of an album. I like how they melted a speak & spell to make that "grhghrhmbrbrhrjiamb"-speech

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also is it true that when king decided to write DT again he had to hire someone to read the books and create like a comprehensive research document of what the situation was and the relationships between various characters and settings, because he completely forgot what he was going for?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'll always associate raw shark and gone away world with house of leaves for some reason

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's not as nuts as HoL and would probably work fine but I got the actual book way back and haven't been able to crack it open in a while. There's nothing that I really remember that makes it weirdly unnavigable or anything, at least if you have a modern kindle. The only one I have is the old e-ink kind and I'm not about to fire that bad boy up and try to check this. No real idea where I left it, probably the same box that has the physical book right next to it.

I think on that one it could potentially be super weird and some pages would have to be rendered as images, and some could come out malformed if you have odd or extremely small or huge text size settings or something. An example is this screenshot I grabbed from the kindle preview:

looks fine on pc but i could see those olden e-ink ones making a few places indecipherable. In the book this is one page and at least in the preview on amazon it looks like an infinite scroll type situation. There's a few pages where the actual turning of the page is part of the effect iirc and scrolling it might not exactly feel the same, idk.

Most of it is a regular book.

One thing is supposedly there are extra chapters in some editions, for every chapter of the normal edition there's supposed to be a hidden complementary one somewhere in the world or online and I guess the book you pick up is only like half of the "real" book. I dunno how true this is and it sort of seems like bullshit to me.

I would have to reread it to really be able to recommend it or not but I remember it as being pretty alright and interesting at the time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Section 9 posted:

I just finished it on Kindle last night. The way they handle those formatted sections seems to be images of the text so the formatting stays. I have the Kindle app on my iPad set with the black background and white text so all the text-as-images show up as white squares with black text. I haven't seen the paper version so I don't know how if the paging and scrolling on Kindle mucks that up at all, but there were a couple pages where it was obviously supposed to give the impression of an image moving over several pages, but instead was a couple white boxes of text on a screen.

Ironically then those fist gen kindles could be better -- the ink screen has to be mostly entirely refreshed in a lot of cases, so there's no scrolling at all. What's basically a big scrolled document is chopped into pages. Normal text is rendered according to your settings and the weird text would still render mostly normally. So maybe still odd in some spots but mostly like the book.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The Special Plan is retrogenesis

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Didn't he think one up during surgery on his guts or something?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I always thought that Ligotti lived in Alaska for some reason. I guess Nethiscurial? Something about the vibe of the islands or whatever makes me think of that kind of climate. But I guess he lives in Florida, that's some black sloth country.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Uldolpho was not a one I was able to get into. Turn of the screw imo was not worth it either, I just can't really deal with the mindset of those people I guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

COOL CORN posted:

Tommy Ligotti's "Special Plan for This World" is suicide right

I listened to Current 93's version of it this morning and now my mood for the day is ruined lol

I disagree. I consider it to be some kind of philosophical retrogenisis mindset. Like un-separating the light and darkness as was done in the first part of the bible. The strangely shining light and darkness before there was night and day.

It sort of reminds me of uh, what's that one where aliens appear and a linguist figures out their language and it breaks her sense of time and causality? I get the same kind of feeling from special plan were there's some kind of extremely weird woldview that cracks... idk some kind of logical relationship that people take for granted.

When the puppets look at the puppet master they become something else and it's kind of like once you peer through the gaps and see things as they really are you can't go back, and it's best to do this when everything is finished and you can put away the things you care about, because if you do it before then it may be more regrettable, because to others you will be seen as alternately-sane at best. This is also related to the narrator teaching the kids about the true nature of the world -- it's a plan that will continue to tick away after he dies.

It sort of reminds me of those stories where people get buddha'd up but use that power for something that would be considered bad if they were still subject to normal morality.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In his own paradigm he can't be understood because everyone is competently utterly isolated and cannot communicate with any other in any meaningful way. Except, maybe, through sideways allusions.

Essentially he's talking to nobody while you happen to hear a sequence of words and then reconstruct them into something meaningful.

Basically everyone is simultaneously every character in that thing at some point or another. There's not a sane way to understand what he's really trying to say because he's saying everything else and leaving a hole shaped like what he means. In the text he literally says the words do not exist.

Dunno if he actually has some kind of understanding about what he's trying to not say or if he's just good at pretending he does. Suppose it doesn't matter.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skyscraper posted:

:haw:

I think it'd be best with no explanation or title or animation.

Same, I support this tag unless someone can come up with a way to make it seem even more obscure and slightly off seeming

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Make a few frames where the text of the cover shows up in the shadow part, one line at a time, but they only show up for like a tenth of a second and the other frames are long as hell and bracket the frames that have words? If someone wants to see what it says they should have to look for like 7 minutes straight lol (or just open it in an editor). Might have to expand it to 180px size to keep it clear idk.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hallelujah posted:

i am of polish descent. because there is no polish-australian literature, my parents got me polish-american literature instead. usually this had a high population of italian characters as well, because the poles and the italians have historically got on like a house on fire except when they find themselves on opposite sides of a world war, and they usually gravitated to the same kinds of industrial immigrant communities (like detroit!) and were victims of a similar sort of racism back in the day, being white but not anglo. so i always thought of poles and italians as the yin and yang of working-class immigrant americana

anyway, as i grew up i ended up with lots of polish friends and lots of italian friends, most of whom have also noticed the weird kinship of our races. a few years ago, my friend (italian) and i were discussing how italians and poles live in the same places, get on well with each other, have cultures that coexist peacefully, have similar religious practices, and generally share the same philosophies on life... but you never, ever hear about them getting married. why? we didn't know. we speculated that there is some unwritten law that if the poles and italians should ever pick the forbidden fruit and join together in holy matrimony, a weird chemical reaction of the spirit would occur and the offspring would be forever cursed

so you can imagine my joy when i finally discovered a family that broke the law, and the cursed progeny was lugubrious tom

At first I was like "eh makes sense but kinda weird wtf poles and italians get married"

Then you mentioned the curse and everything started coming together that adds up a little, lol

I still think it's about retrogenisis though because I think he's talking about disestablishing the illusion that there are any things like people and returning to the unmade pool of pantheisms or w/e. The plan for which there are no words is the actual method of doing this.

It's a plan that can be accomplished because unlike the other plans it's self contained and you change your self which is the only thing you have access to

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda thrilling to see people discuss it, I Have A Special Plan is extremely my jam and has been for like 20 years and I've never seen anyone discuss it online.

Try talking to anyone about it irl, it'll instantly become like one of the vignettes

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Really excited to see the discussion of this song/poem. I still get chills every time I think of the line "and the moment of consummate disaster when the puppets turn to face the puppetmaster"

this world is a mistake

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
also here are some evangelions (I presume, def get a born again vibe) trying to understand Ligotti's special plan. I thought it was half interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxdz3Y5FQDM

obviously you have to be prepared for the Got Religion brainwave situation, but i'm sort of curious about the dude and I feel like he also is getting the retrogenisis vibe. I thought about posting some comments or something but eh :shrug:. Apparently this came out something like 8 months ago and already I thought it's been more than two years.

ps I wanna say imo phrases like "Our God is x" are huge red flags and anyone coming from an Abrahamic religion situation talking like that has an insanely weakly set up philosophy. It is the kind of phrasing that doesn't preclude other gods and I feel like they have a super fuckin weird credulity in the power of satan as an independent entity and this is not like what I ever learned and I was raised fairly catholic.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bilirubin posted:

Heard a phrase recently that stuck with me, along the lines of American evangelical Christianity is the best argument against letting theological decisions be made by the laity

that poo poo is a death cult and has very little to do with any coherent interpretation of the bible I think. Without question some of the worst people I've ever known have been that kind of capital C Christian. I know plenty of vile people but I don't gently caress with those types tbh. If someone comes out with the planet is 6000 years old they're more often than not liable to have a really hosed up sense of morality.

Skyscraper posted:

you really got my hopes up here for the evangelion / ligotti crossover

Basically the plan is to dive into the a.t. fluid pool imo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bilirubin posted:

Arthur Machen's White People would suit. He was a Golden Dawn type turn of the last century, and his work is heavily influenced by a hermetic/gnostic world view, colored by Welsh folklore. Some really good stuff.

Oh poo poo is this the one where the one guy argues that morality is basically multimodal? Like there is both good and bad and on a different axis there is righteous and evil? Righteous things can be bad etc? If it's the one i'm thinking of it fits with the horror adjacency thing but I think is not ultra intense. Worth reading once or twice.

Or wait I think there's a similarly named one about a guy who falls in love with a inbred woman from wales or some rural anglo zone, and it doesn't go well, but it's not really gnostic. Actually I can't remember the name of that one at all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

uber_stoat posted:

"Then in a great new darkness
You will finally execute your special plan"
*recording ends*
"this guy is an active shooter!"

:hmbol:

Lmao yeah it's a completely wrong take because mere shooting plans don't go far enough

I have not been able to get into anything else by current tho, just doesn't seem to work. Special plan is really tight and well done.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ps

ravenkult posted:

gonna need one of those tags

Extremely same, but I sorta think the secret message should be some tiny snippet of something instead of just the name

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

uber_stoat posted:

you have to be in the right head space for it. like, for example, do not get really drunk and listen to The Seahorse Rears To Oblivion on a loop. it is bad for you.

God lectures them with a whip

I'm gonna try it. My no booze experiment ends in one week and if nobody wants to hang out I'm gonna sit in the dark and get strunted. Will report back.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Mods, please

I cannot feel the emotion of joy, I'm standing in the doorway looking out into infinite empty blackness irl

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have heard these moderators posting in their sleep, and I stand waiting for the gangtag, as if at the top of a darkened flight of stairs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Zartosht posted:

and This Degenerate Little Town, featuring Tom himself reading another long poem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBca33v8oGM

lmao tommy sounds exactly like he would be someone else and like he actually does enjoy things. He could be a narrator for like Thomas the tank engine or something

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But I remained silent until the emptyquotes died. And as twilight passed into evening, I felt my special post for which there are no words moving towards a greater darkness.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ligotti has always made me feel more comfortable, somehow. What does this mean?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

a foolish pianist posted:

Speaking of these pulp anthologies, which ones are really worthwhile? I've got the Famous Fantastic Mysteries anthology from 91, which I think is the only published collection specific to that magazine, and it's got a nice introduction to each story that gives publication info and context. Are any of the Weird Tales collections particularly good? 32 Unearthed Terrors, maybe?

There were two weird tales books that I had years ago that I thought were awesome as gently caress. I think maybe late 90s, they were paperback and had ~400 pages.

They got destroyed with every other old book I had so I dunno how well the stories would hold up now, but sometimes I'll be doing something and remember one and wish I could go back and read them.

One was I think "best of weird tales" and had a green tentacle alien, the other had a barbarian getting ready to fight some kinda smoke monster.

Really wish the mag didn't die I'd subscribe if the stories had a similar vibe. Hell, I'd do a quarterly version that showed up as a book.

Kind of want to find those again but in the few searches I've done over the years they seem really overpriced online.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It was Barron. Barron was the Alaskan not Ligotti. Also I somehow thought ligotti was the guy who wrote procession of the black sloth when it's way different.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay so who is reading The Stand to celebrate our coronachan overlord? Seriously though, I actually get pretty bad anxiety about this sort of thing, and reading topical-ish horror about it helps for some reason. What would be some good plague or end-of-the-world horror for our fun timeline?

The stand is alright but honestly I have no desire to bother reading it again. I feel like King is good at portraying one thing: that precipice where you know you're doing something wrong but you decide to do it anyway. Everything else is kind of like... I don't really care about getting into 70s coke logic or w/e bullshit he's on. A lot of times there's a weird sex vibe or... idk "drug morality" going on.

also mildly disappointed to see the gangtags also have urls. There's no hyperlinks in the real world of perfect blackness where there are no people or anything of that sort.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah wanna read that roadkill story

Also I said I was gonna get trashed and listen to current and I have every intention of doing an experimental bad feels deep dive. Should I do this tomorrow or the day after, is the question

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

uber_stoat posted:

you have to be in the right head space for it. like, for example, do not get really drunk and listen to The Seahorse Rears To Oblivion on a loop. it is bad for you.

God lectures them with a whip

Alright i'm getting ready i'm doing it. Managed to find a dusty as gently caress huge bottle of ommegang, so even if I have a metempsychotic event i'll still have a really good bottle to put my mead in.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's a half step. I like it better than the other stuff they've done, but I was hoping it would somehow be like 4 versions that were different enough that the whole album would need all four to get the whole picture.

I'll rank it under special plan because the writing is not as good, but it has the correct vibe I think so it's above the other stuff i've heard so far. If you're going to listen to it I recommend getting drunk and doing the album rip that plays it four times back to back slightly differently

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I feel like this means something but I can't figure out what

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

escape artist posted:

how do I get the Ligotti tag?

I have been enjoying the poo poo out of his short stories on Youtube. He's got like 39 short stories in audiobook form on Youtube.

post a couple good ones and then ask mods nicely for the tag and perhaps you'll get it, although there is no such thing as mods, nothing of the sort. Just infinite empty blackness.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how'd lovecraft get in the news i thought he's been dead for a while now

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
CSPAM was joking about the New American Gothic aesthetic. Got anything that matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Big Mad Drongo posted:

...we're joking?

But North American Lake Monsters, if you somehow read this thread but haven't read that book, fits the bill. A lot of Brian Evenson's stuff works too, but it's more things falling apart under the veneer of normalcy in general rather than U.S.-specific.

the good jokes are the real ones

those pics are insanely new gothic. Next level poo poo.