Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I tend to prefer the horror adjacent myself, but grabbed Silent Companions by Laura Purcell from the library on the promise of it being a gothic horror and it fell a little flat for me. I can certainly see where some would give it high marks, but it never really got beyond a little creepy for me and I had some quibbles with the way it was told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
If you're going to read a not strictly horror werewolf novel, I'd strongly recommend Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Is The Hunger by Katsu any good? I got to looking at that at the library the other day.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Untrustable posted:

Always pleasantly surprised when an author is using the slang because it's part of their culture.

Edit: Just finished it. It is very good. I understand the constant use of slang now. The story is told through the viewpoints of at least 6 individuals, and the constant slang was inner guilt about leaving the reservation. A way of being more indian. It's a very good book about being a good indian. I can't explain it, just...go read it.

Yeah. I kinda love SGJ. In addition to being Blackfeet, he's also pretty Texan and cites McMurtry and PK Dick as favorites, so I feel like he's speaking my language. Maybe check out Mapping the Interior as well. His new one, Night of the Mannequins, I just finished yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, it didn't have the impact of Only Good Indians or Mapping the Interior. Or Mongrels, which is a good werewolf tale, but perhaps less overtly horror?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

the weird thing was that he liked my "review" of the book at the 30% read point, and when I finally posted it he liked two additional updates.

I mean the book was great and my review reflected that but I've never been stalked by an author like that.

Sounds like a good idea for a novel in fact...

I've run into that. Stephen Graham Jones has a tendency to like reviews of his books. Thuy Da Lam liked my updates, reviews, and commented on each, though her book only has 8 reviews total. I've had a few other low-review authors like reviews of their books.