Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
The Castle Of Otranto is great if you like heroines so feeble they faint because they are overcome by the beauty of a sunset. (Or is that Udolpho... it's been a long time tbh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Machen is the man. Everybody read more Machen.

Doctor Faustine posted:

I also love folk horror movies like The Witch, The Wicker Man, and Kill List, to give a broader sense of what I'm after.

I know its book recommendations you were after, but make sure you see A Dark Song if you haven't already. Also, Lord Of Tears has some folk horror elements and is good.

On another topic, now we're using this thread for cosmic horror chat: I could use a favour. I've been left with an unpublished short story (it was a submission to a Trump-themed anthology of Lovecraftiana that is no longer coming out) which I want to distribute as a free ebook. (I don't like giving away work for free, but I can't in good conscience charge for a 30-page short.) Amazon will only make stuff free via price matching though, so if any of you can take one minute to visit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6Q4R4M and use the 'tell us about a lower price' link to notify them that it's available from B&N for $0.00 (https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/at-the-midnight-of-creation-philip-hemplow/1129507931) it would be suuuuuuper helpful and massively appreciated. :)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Pistol_Pete posted:

The BBC always gently caress them up, though. They take a perfectly crafted, stand-alone short story, that James spent the best part of a year polishing and say: "Heyyyyy, this story is good, I guess, but what if we add this to it!" Like, they took Whistle and I'll come to You and added in a subplot where the dude's wife had Alzheimers and he was super-conflicted about it and the haunting all somehow fed into that and it sucked balls. It also completely missed the dry, understated humour that's an essential ingredient of an M R James story by making the protagonist a lonely, regretful old guy rather than an earnest young nerd who totally doesn't believe in ghosts... until he's faced with the evidence of his own eyes! An M R James story is already a near-perfect little tale: all they have to do is translate it into a visual medium but no, every time it's "We're updating this for the modern era!" and they poo poo out a high-budget, star-studded, impeccably produced failure.

Yeah, I'm mad.

Yeah, but there would be no point in them just doing another straight adaptation of OW&ICTYML; they already broadcast the definitive, 1961 (iirc) Jonathan Miller version. Any new version is inevitably going to suffer by comparison to that one, unless it tries to do something completely different. Personally, I'd rather they just re-broadcast the Miller one or adapt something else, but the new one wasn't terrible by any means. Just very different to the source material, and didn't really need to be tied to it to tell the story it clearly wanted to. I really like the 1970s, ITV version of Casting The Runes, which moved it to a contemporary setting, too: more interesting to do that than just try to re-film Night Of The Demon. (And adaptation is never just a matter of 'translate it into a visual medium'. There are always trade offs and editorial decisions involved. You can't just turn written dialogue into spoken, point a camera at it, and assume it will work. You need to find ways to convey, visually, things which can just be stated as fact in print, such as what a character is thinking and why. When scripts try to stick too closely to a prose original, the story telling can get very messy. You should respect the source material, of course, but part of that is accepting that you are working in a completely different medium and need to make accommodations for that.)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Yesh posted:

Does anyone know of any haunted house/ghost stories with a strong cosmic horror element?

Seems you don't have PMs, but I actually published just such a story a few short weeks ago -- you can get it on a 'pay what you're feeling' basis from Smashwords if you're interested.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

reading posted:

The layout playfulness was annoying but I bet in 2001 it was avant garde and new and interesting.

No, it was just annoying then, too.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Lemme guess: already optioned as a trilogy by New Line Cinema?

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

escape artist posted:

Any of y'all write?

Relentlessly.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Untrustable posted:

I also found out that "investigative horror" has an actual name: "epistolary horror".

Don't forget Dracula, the OG epistolary horror.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished reading Lovecraft's short story 'the Alchemist' and holy lmao, the final line was so clearly intended to be a ghastly revelation but it felt so obvious it turned the whole story into a weird joke? The thick gothic atmosphere, the dread, the fear, the loneliness, all of it giving me the chills as he explores this utterly abandoned place - and instantly pierced by the final line.

You should read Imprisoned With The Pharoahs next: "HIPPOPOTAMI SHOULD NOT HAVE HUMAN HEADS AND CARRY TORCHES!!?!" makes me crack up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Bilirubin posted:

With a good editor it would have been House of Leaf. Or House of Leave?

I never figured that one out.

Leaf, I guess? The book is the house; the leaves are pages, as in 'leafing through a book.' Or so I've always assumed.